Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Apparition said:

It's Mark Davis so the chances of the Raiders hiring someone who doesn't have pre-existing ties to the organization are between slim and none. Tom Flores is trying to explain to him that he's 84 years old as we speak. 

John Madden also explains he's 85 - then also mentions he's possibly richer than Davis, given the royalties he's made from the video game bearing his name.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

If cancel culture and social media was impactful in the NFL at all Daniel Snyder would not be made of Teflon, as we see now and have seen repeatedly for over a decade now.

Though it will be VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY interesting to see what about him comes out of this investigation because there has to be some whoppers in there.

ray rice would have been treated far more lightly if there was no video of his incident. the league protects the shield.

people who think corporations are "woke" out of political ideology are missing the forest for the trees. they are concerned about optics/branding as it relates to their ability to sell a product and advertising space

it is and always has been about marketability. remember during pride month all these corporations put rainbows on their twitter logos, but then their middle east regional counterparts didn't?

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

Yeah, businesses don't come out and defend positions like "women, people of color, and LGBTQ people are valid and worthy of respect" out of any sort of moral obligation it's because "women, people of color, and LGBTQ people are also potential customers that you don't want to alienate when instead you could be taking their money."

Which is part of why Gruden taking exception to Sarah Thomas getting hired to be an official stands out to me.  It's not like there is a surplus of "qualified football referees" and it's not like she hasn't demonstrated (at multiple levels) that she can do the job.  Hiring the lady ref who can do the job and wants to do the job is just a win for the NFL, so objecting to "they can't call it 'Head LinesMAN' anymore" is just caveman stuff.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

I kind of want the Raiders to hire the next big college HC to fail in the NFL. Because...

1: Division rival.

2: I can add it to my list of reasons why hiring a HC out of college is a huge gamble and likely to fail.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if targeting the big name CFB coaches is smart, since a lot of those earn their reputation by having more talent than other teams, which is not a strategy available in the NFL.

Like I feel better about hiring the next Kliff Kingsbury because he made it work with less talent than Texas, Oklahoma, etc. than the next Urban or Saban.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm not sure if targeting the big name CFB coaches is smart, since a lot of those earn their reputation by having more talent than other teams, which is not a strategy available in the NFL.

Like I feel better about hiring the next Kliff Kingsbury because he made it work with less talent than Texas, Oklahoma, etc. than the next Urban or Saban.

The funny thing is...Kingsbury actually didn’t make it work at Tech. He was 19-35 in Big 12 play and 35-40 overall, and he had both Mayfield and Mahomes during his tenure.

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I could see Vegas being a very attractive destination for execs. An Owner who isn't afraid to spend big, brand new state of the art stadium, hot weather, no state tax, historical brand, etc.

It all starts from the top and we NEED to nail the GM/HC duo. 

Well you've convinced me, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

It's Mark Davis so the chances of the Raiders hiring someone who doesn't have pre-existing ties to the organization are between slim and none. Tom Flores is trying to explain to him that he's 84 years old as we speak. 

John Madden

6 minutes ago, Apparition said:

This post has nothing to do with @Apparition I am not attacking him.  

But just point out from that tweet that it is funny and acceptable when we make fun of the looks of the right people.

We don't even need to put it in a private email.   We can do it publicly without consequence.  

I think we can all of us, practice some forgiveness and mercy toward one another as none of us are perfect.

Gruden had a decades long career where he interacted with 1000s of men of all types.  He wasn't a monster.  He was a man and sinner like all of us.  None of us is good, not one.   

I know if I had a window into a lot of hearts they wouldn't be pure.  Mine included.

Not saying he shouldn't be punished.   He just lost probably what he loves most in this world in an incredibly public way.  A devastating week for him.    It wasn't nothing.   We don't need to gleefully dance on his grave.

Maybe good can come of it for him.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But just point out from that tweet that it is funny and acceptable when we make fun of the looks of the right people.

We don't even need to put it in a private email.   We can do it publicly without consequence.  

I think we can all of us, practice some forgiveness and mercy toward one another as none of us are perfect.

Gruden had a decades long career where he interacted with 1000s of men of all types.  He wasn't a monster.  He was a man and sinner like all of us.  None of us is good, not one.   

I know if I had a window into a lot of hearts they wouldn't be pure.  Mine included.

Not saying he shouldn't be punished.   He just lost probably what he loves most in this world in an incredibly public way.  A devastating week for him.    It wasn't nothing.   We don't need to gleefully dance on his grave.

Well said 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Now that being said if it is found he was taking liberties with the Washington cheerleaders against their will losing his job and being publicly shamed is an insufficient punishment.

He and others need to answer for that civilly and/or criminally outside of a fine from league.   

I have no knowledge or evidence that took place, just saying some of those photos and other allegations involving Washington cheerleaders needs to explained.