Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Someone said this elsewhere:

I think it's true sadly. Winning sports games...or being entertaining to people in a way that benefits them (people feel better about their own lives when a sports team they're invested in brings them joy i.e. "wins") has a way of brushing a lot of crap under the rug before accountability comes into the equation. I think Kobe Bryant God rest his soul is the biggest example of that. People even get defensive if you even question a lot of their prized angels that they themselves have decided to place on a pedestal essentially creating an unrealistic fantasy world with their deity on the throne. When you mess with that fantasy world, people may respond in kind with venom. They don't want anyone bringing down the walls of their fairy tale, and are apt to fight tooth and nail to maintain it's integrity. Would be cool if more people had the cognizant ability to step back at a certain point and say:

Hsmtmts Did I Just Join A Cult GIF - Hsmtmts Did I Just Join A Cult Cult -  Discover & Share GIFs

It's definitely true.  The better you are at whatever you do, the more you can get away with.  

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Something seems awfully fishy, here.

It really does.

Shot out of the dark? That was the price or protecting the owners and burying the WFT investigation. Those emails were about Goodell, and Goodell wanted Grudens head.

I don't think Kobe got away with anything.

Read his after the fact statement that is just full of empathy for the accuser. You don't see that very often in these cases.

It does not mean he was not a 'bad guy' or wrong but he took his embarrassment/punishment/settlement and moved on with that always being a part of his reputation etc. 

He owned up to this both in his statement and in the settlement.

His wife eventually forgave him as part of this. He did not convince her nothing happened.

There were still people protesting and complaining about his Oscar 14 years later.

Living his life as a better person who was free from scandal from that point on is a big reason Kobe was widely embraced.

24 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why did the NFL release the emails about Jon Gruden at all if they were planning to not release the rest?

Something seems awfully fishy, here.

A US appeals court ruled that Roger Goodell is a god who can do whatever he wants. (See Brady appeal)

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yeah removing gruden is classic example of "what's the least amount of work we can do for the most amount of payoff" calculated business decision

Yup. Gruden is in such a bad spot he can’t even publicly complain about this because it will be tone deaf. The Bucs get a quick little PR win with zero resistance.