Jon Gruden resigns

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

So who does coach the team now? Deuce Gruden?

I hear Jay Gruden is available lol. They have three former HCs on the staff: Tom Cable, Gus Bradley, and Rod Marinelli. I'd probably have Cable take over.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The source of literally everything we know about why Dan Snyder sucks.

Yeah I remember reading a huge article about all of that sometime during the summer I think someone in the forum linked me a couple of them to read up on 

Just now, jrry32 said:

Eh, Lincoln Riley would be a pretty great hire for them.

As an X's and O's guy, I agree.  The scenario I'm envisioning though is that in order to prise Riley (or any mega-coach in college football) away to a perennially unstable NFL franchise (where there's no guarantee you're going to get more than 1 bite at the NFL apple), I have to imagine that things like complete personnel control, etc. will be put on the table.  And while Riley's not a poor evaluator of talent by any definition, a pro head coach (particularly one also handling the crux of the personnel decisions) needs a staff that knows how to function within the pro game - which has arguably been one of Urban's biggest pitfalls thus far in Jacksonville.  There's a big stretch from "I command your respect because I literally can pull your scholarship at any time if I so will it" and "You have a contract and, 'yes,' I can cut you but there are repercussions (cap-penalties, etc.) that come with that which create restrictions on what I can do."

• Like 1

Just now, Trentwannabe said:

Who is likely to be interim?

Is there any reason to keep Mayock right now?

Depends. If Gruden was really making the picks and Mayock was just kinda putting a big board together but getting overruled.
BTW, if your head coaches initials are JG, it ain't gonna work out.

• Like 1

Legally speaking, the Raiders likely put language into Gruden's contract that would keep them from having to pay the full remainder of the contract.

Odds are, they'll pay a portion and Gruden will take that because neither side will want a civil suit where more detrimental info could come out.

• Like 1

Just when people thought the Raiders were taking steps forward they took more steps backwards.

The crazy thing is before they hired Gruden and gave him the sky, sun, moon, and the stars they should’ve done extensive research on him. All of this is coming out now and nobody in the organization never knew about it before they hired him. That’s why the Raiders are a poor franchise now. That’s why they haven’t been relevant in decades. 

As for Gruden he saved face by resigning if not he just flat out got fired which I highly doubt it. He probably will just go back to ESPN to the MNF booth and doing Gruden Camp on the NFL draft prospects acting like nothing ever happened. It’s a very bad look on him and I know I won’t ever look at him the same.