Rebuild or No Rebuild?

BayRaider

Rebuild or No Rebuild?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rebuild or No Rebuild?

I don't think a full rebuild is necessary. We have some pieces in place. We just need someone who understands KEEPING THEM IN PLACE DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO GUT ELSEWHERE. 

Waller, Crosby, Renfrow, and Miller are guys I attribute more to luck than Gruden being a savvy personnel guy anyway. How often does any team find that much talent late in the draft/FA/with 1st round reaches? 

There's some other guys we have that round out what could be a pretty decent roster (Carr, if retained, Jacobs/Drake, Ingold, Ruggs, Edwards maybe, guys in the secondary). Hopefully we can get rid of some of the turd sandwiches we've accumulated. 

Either way, the one thing that burns me out the most is that Gruden came in and absolutely blew an amazing chance at building a juggernaut with the capital he fell into. What could have been with a competent staff and front office. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I’m pretty sure he consulted with Football people before hiring Reggie McKenzie. The whole charade of him fanboying for Gruden while having to satisfy the Rooney Rule is the thing I think was egregious

Pretty sure it was John Madden and maybe someone else Raider related. He hired the first name he was given by all accounts. He didn't do a whole lot of vetting. 

And 100% agree and why the Rooney rule needs tweaked. There are instances like this where an owner has his guy and it is what it is.

37 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Why??? He's young and getting better every single year

I mean, I’d rather keep Kolton and think he’s a little better than some posters give him credit for. But I understand the sentiment. He’s not a great LT. He’s just a good LT. Top 12-13 for sure. Debatable even end of Top 10. However, he’s a below average run blocker and I don’t see that changing, and while his pass protection is very very good, he still struggles with elite guys. 

With that said, I still keep him, and he has a good contract (for us). 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I mean, I’d rather keep Kolton and think he’s a little better than some posters give him credit for. But I understand the sentiment. He’s not a great LT. He’s just a good LT. Top 12-13 for sure. Debatable even end of Top 10. However, he’s a below average run blocker and I don’t see that changing, and while his pass protection is very very good, he still struggles with elite guys. 

With that said, I still keep him, and he has a good contract (for us). 

What do you think the chances are of getting a top 5 pass blocker in a top 15 run blocker are, even in the top 5 in the draft?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

What do you think the chances are of getting a top 5 pass blocker in a top 15 run blocker are, even in the top 5 in the draft?

Left tackles are so hard to find. Miller has at least 8-10 good years left. He’s a franchise building block who you can’t trade.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Low. Like I said, I keep Kolton. I do think he gets treated a bit unfairly on here and better than given credit for. 

• Like 2

We are *this* close to dumping back to a 4 win team and diving into the unknown of if we can emerge from it a winning team. I'd rather not go there if we don't need to. We're also *this* close to being a playoff team. I'd much rather hire someone who thinks we have pieces in place, just need to add a few things to get over the hump. 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 7:46 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

We do have some enticing players to build around in the likes of Waller, Ruggs, Renfrow, Jacobs, Miller, Ingold, Crosby, Yannick, Mullen, Moehrig, etc. Even Carr could be a very big deal to some HC/GM candidates. 

A (when the 2022 season starts) 30 year old QB who has played with awful talent and coaching will absolutely be attractive to someone, especially considering that people actually have to cite a very specific few games to dog him for. 

Virtually every GM/HC will want "their guy", but having a QB capable of playing top 8-10ish takes the heat off of them to reach for a QB early on. 

If it were me, I'm trying to extend Carr for 2-3 years as a buffer zone and telling Mark "We'll take a QB when there's one we REALLY like ", probably in 2023 or 2024. That allows time to build a roster a young QB can step into, instead of taking the practically proven to fail approach of "throw them in the fire and see what happens". 

• Like 2