Will the Gruden "resignation" begin a mass exodus ?

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

For me, the issue isn't around one tweet or one topic.

Its the quid pro quo nature of these relationships that poop on journalistic integrity. Schefter and his ilk trade info and favors all the time. They'll happily put out a story that helps their contacts and frames issues in a favorable light. Schefter is happy to be a mouthpiece for Allen and other front office guys in exchange for info. That's where things get pretty muddy. He has to give something back - and often times that something is shady.

I don't listen to Schefter, because I know he's a whore who feathers his own nest and there really isn't a line he won't cross. The stuff with JPP was appalling, lead to a lawsuit and a person losing his job at the hospital. Schefter gets off scot-free. I have a problem with that behavior

Unfortunately, there are millions who don't understand how the NFL media sausage is made -  and people, fans and players can all be hurt by his whoring.
Its not illegal, but its not right either given the platform he has developed and the responsibility to use it judiciously. But he doesn't

Schefter will happily say anything in order to generate clicks & engagement or to repay a favor - its no different than being behind with a loan shark. You don't want to be beholden to bad people- and the quid pro quo nature of these relationships is exactly that - a popular "reporter" owing favors to unsavory people in power.

Schefter is a journalist, they all work for vultures and sold their souls long ago to make it where they are today.

This scandal is about the hypocrisy of cancel culture. It’s not about moral ethics or being a good person if you’re being selective with who you punish and turning a deaf ear to the people who write your cheques. That’s not activist journalism, it’s called narcissism and fake outrage wokeism.

The younger generations are growing up with everything they do in their idiot years being put online and are collectively turning away from normal adult behavior and surrendering the archaic idea of an attention span to the garbage app known as tik tok. As a result we should be cancelling less not more. Cancel culture is not sustainable.

And people need to put less stock into digital words and more into action and quit witch hunting everybody. People say so much crap online or in this example in their private emails you don’t know what any of it really means unless you know the person and the context of why they’re saying it. It’s called Poe’s law. But the NFL is not willing to provide any context here because they have things to hide as well.

Just cancel everybody and we can all move the hell on and not pretend we’re all nice perfect little angels all the time, spanning now to our private text conversations.

I think Mark Davis was trying to ride out the mob of fake Twitter outrage for a week and let Gruden keep his job but the NFL gave him a firm NO. And so Davis told Gruden and his response was to just resign.

Edited by Kirill
  • Like 4
22 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Schefter is a journalist, they all work for vultures and sold their souls long ago to make it where they are today.

This  scandal is about the hypocrisy of cancel culture. It’s not about moral ethics or being a good natured person if you’re being selective with who you punish and turning a deaf ear to the people who write your cheques. That’s not activist journalism, it’s fake wokeism.

The younger generations are growing up with everything they do in their idiot years being put online and are collectively surrending the archaic idea of an attention span to the garbage app tik tok. Cancel culture is not sustainable or else you’re going to have to cancel pretty much everybody in 10 years.

prople need to put less stock into words and more into action. People say so much crap online or in this example in their private emails you don’t know what any of it really means unless you know the person and the context of why they’re saying it. Which the NFL is not willing to provide because they have things to hide as well.

just cancel everybody and we can all move the hell on and not pretend we’re all nice perfect little saints all the time.

Cancel Culture isn't real. As you say, actions over words. People who just say stupid ish online make comebacks. People who are actually awful and racist people dont. James Gunn and Hulk Hogan are examples of the former. Although Hulk should still be "cancelled" IMO. Societal consequences have ALWAYS existed. The internet just shines way more lights on it, which is a good thing. Yes, there are overreactions because mob mentality exists, like it ALWAYS has. However, the more we hold people accountable as a society the more society improves. There SHOULD be consequences for these things.

Bottom line, it is harder to be a horrible human and still be successful. That's a good thing. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Kirill said:

This scandal is about the hypocrisy of cancel culture. It’s not about moral ethics or being a good person if you’re being selective with who you punish and turning a deaf ear to the people who write your cheques. That’s not activist journalism, it’s called narcissism and fake outrage wokeism.

The younger generations are growing up with everything they do in their idiot years being put online and are collectively turning away from normal adult behavior and surrendering the archaic idea of an attention span to the garbage app known as tik tok. As a result we should be cancelling less not more. Cancel culture is not sustainable.

And people need to put less stock into digital words and more into action and quit witch hunting everybody. People say so much crap online or in this example in their private emails you don’t know what any of it really means unless you know the person and the context of why they’re saying it. It’s called Poe’s law. But the NFL is not willing to provide any context here because they have things to hide as well.

Just cancel everybody and we can all move the hell on and not pretend we’re all nice perfect little angels all the time, spanning now to our private text conversations.

I think Mark Davis was trying to ride out the mob of fake Twitter outrage for a week and let Gruden keep his job but the NFL gave him a firm NO. And so Davis told Gruden and his response was to just resign.

You say all this, but I don't know what actual prescription you have to address this. Do you think Gruden should keep his job?

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Cancel Culture isn't real. As you say, actions over words. People who just say stupid ish online make comebacks. People who are actually awful and racist people dont. James Gunn and Hulk Hogan are examples of the former. Although Hulk should still be "cancelled" IMO. Societal consequences have ALWAYS existed. The internet just shines way more lights on it, which is a good thing. Yes, there are overreactions because mob mentality exists, like it ALWAYS has. However, the more we hold people accountable as a society the more society improves. There SHOULD be consequences for these things.

This isn’t true. People lose their jobs and livelihoods over Twitter outrage from things said all the time. And it’s about money and nothing else.

I just think as a society we need to get to the point where we stop casting aspersions on people’s character over the contents of a private text message. Unless you think that everybody you work with never says a bad thing in their private text conversations. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Apparition said:

You say all this, but I don't know what actual prescription you have to address this. Do you think Gruden should keep his job?

No I would’ve fired him quicker than Davis did. Not because I think he’s a racist but because I question his ability to lead a locker room of mostly young black men after the demaurice smith comments. I mean that guy is also their main representative for not getting paid and personal stuff so you pretty much had to fire Gruden if you’re trying to win Super Bowls.

3 minutes ago, Kirill said:

This isn’t true. People lose their jobs and livelihoods over Twitter outrage from things said all the time. And it’s about money and nothing else.

I just think as a society we need to get to the point where we stop casting aspersions on people’s character over the contents of a private text message. Unless you think that everybody you work with never says a bad thing in their private text conversations. 

Actually, I would expect this. If I found out my co-workers were closet racists in their spare time I would hope they would be fired.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Name them

EDIT: I just saw Webby's post while writing this and I will not go further than this post on the topic since it's getting too far off the road.

I'm not taking his side here, but we've all seen certain instances, usually involving accusations of sexual misconduct, where a woman will come forward and make accusations against someone (Aziz Ansari, Chris Hardwick, etc.), the twitter mob instantly takes her side and the accused is fired from their job or they are instantly blacklisted from everything.

Then, months later (if that), turns out it was either false allegations or a huge misunderstanding. Too late. That person's reputation is tarnished, they've lost job opportunities, friends, etc.

I saw this happen first hand in the Rainbow Six: Siege community twice (take this for what it's worth...it's just a personal example and it's obviously different because the people involved are not famous). A professional coach (GiG) was accused of sexual misconduct. He lost his job as a coach, was arrested and after everything she admitted to lying. Second instance a professional player (Biologic) was accused of rape while at a LAN event. Same thing, turns out the woman was lying about it. He lost his spot on what went on to be TSM, which is arguably the best NA team that exists today.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

EDIT: I just saw Webby's post while writing this and I will not go further than this post on the topic since it's getting too far off the road.

I'm not taking his side here, but we've all seen certain instances, usually involving accusations of sexual misconduct, where a woman will come forward and make accusations against someone (Aziz Ansari, Chris Hardwick, etc.), the twitter mob instantly takes her side and the accused is fired from their job or they are instantly blacklisted from everything.

Last thing I'll say about this as well - It's important to make a distinction between something like this, where there's a serious allegation of misconduct, versus someone saying something or having an attitude that people take issue with. The latter is what people generally refer to in these debates, and claim is a product of social media consumption. The former is something you can't really tie in to an abstract and ill-defined concept like "political correctness" or "cancel culture".

17 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Jon Gruden was not fired because of "Twitter outrage". He was fired for the reasons you yourself said he should be fired. 

Okay and it all signs are pointing to the NFL forcing Gruden out. The Texans owner Bob McNair called NFL athletes inmates and said you can’t let them run the prison. Why is the NFL only punishing Gruden for this sort of conduct? The NBA got rid of their racist owner.

I wish Gruden and Mark Davis fought the league on this one it would’ve made it more interesting. Maybe more emails will come out of other people saying bizzare stuff

Edited by Kirill
Just now, Kirill said:

Okay and it all signs are pointing to the NFL forcing Gruden out. The Texans owner Bob McNair called NFL athletes inmates and said you can’t let them run the prison. Why is the NFL only punishing Gruden for this sort of conduct? 

I wish Gruden and Mark Davis fought the league on this one it would’ve made it more interesting.

Who signs the checks and who cashes them?