The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

I mean, let's keep it real. Video taping doesn't really even give you that much of an advantage. Wasn't the tape only like 6 minutes as well? Thought I remembered reading that somewhere. Players still need to execute on the field and the game is organic anyway and not some scripted nonsense except maybe early.

I never thought Spygate was a big deal and I don't think this is either. That's just me though.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/why-mcdaniels-actually-ditched-colts

There was a sound reason for him pulling out if Indy. You only get one chance at a second shot to be a HC, he wanted things set up for his success. No shame in that. Bad look, but always more to the story. 

I'm more focusing on the positives that Ballard and his crew hand picked him as their HC. That is a good front office endorsement for McDaniels even if it didn't work out.

The article is missing the point. Why in the world would you accept a job and hire all your coaches, you're down the rabbit hole, and you never talked, communicated, planned, about any of this during the interview process? It points to someone who was clueless about communicating important issues, assumed something and then it went bad. Which is also exactly what he did in Denver and how it went bad. That's a character trait right there, and you don't generally grow out of those. That's my biggest fear. How is that trait going to effect his time here if he arrives. What drama will it create.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, NickButera said:

The article is missing the point. Why in the world would you accept a job and hire all your coaches, you're down the rabbit hole, and you never talked, communicated, planned, about any of this during the interview process? It points to someone who was clueless about communicating important issues, assumed something and then it went bad. Which is also exactly what he did in Denver and how it went bad. That's a character trait right there, and you don't generally grow out of those. That's my biggest fear. How is that trait going to effect his time here if he arrives. What drama will it create.

Not going to lie, it is pretty funny he was concerned who was going to be taping stuff. Made me laugh 

Edited by Jraider91

16 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I don't disagree. My understanding is, the agreement was in place and the Colts shifted some thing prior to the final hiring that didn't jive with him. And Kraft paid him 4 mil per year to stay as the OC. 

Certainly a risk. But I would think for McDaniels, he knows he gets one more shot as a HC and wants things to be set up right for his success. I respect that. 

It's a boom or bust coaching hire if it happens. Personally, I'd rather take the risk on McDaniels who is a terrific game planner. Who knows how to tailor his offense to the strengths of his players. Who you can feel confident your QB will be in the best position to succeed. Than the alternative.... a retread DC like Bowles or a game manager like Bisaccia. 

If you can't land Harbaugh, McDaniel's is easily the next best thing in my view. Will be a good fit with Carr. Can tweak the red zone offense. And is connected well enough to get a good defensive staff and FO in place. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Good article here:

https://theathletic.com/3038371/2021/12/30/josh-mcdaniels-stock-soars-again-despite-scars-of-broncos-colts-debacles/

For those who don't have the Athletic, here are the important pieces:

Lane Kiffin is a great example of a coach that was hired way too young, had his struggles, learned from them, and then became an excellent head coach. I'll take McDaniels in a heartbeat over Bowles or Rich.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't disagree. My understanding is, the agreement was in place and the Colts shifted some thing prior to the final hiring that didn't jive with him. And Kraft paid him 4 mil per year to stay as the OC. 

Certainly a risk. But I would think for McDaniels, he knows he gets one more shot as a HC and wants things to be set up right for his success. I respect that. 

It's a boom or bust coaching hire if it happens. Personally, I'd rather take the risk on McDaniels who is a terrific game planner. Who knows how to tailor his offense to the strengths of his players. Who you can feel confident your QB will be in the best position to succeed. Than the alternative.... a retread DC like Bowles or a game manager like Bisaccia. 

If you can't land Harbaugh, McDaniel's is easily the next best thing in my view. Will be a good fit with Carr. Can tweak the red zone offense. And is connected well enough to get a good defensive staff and FO in place. 

The Patriots were just 6th in scoring offense with a rookie quarterback, Harris/Stevenson at RB, and Nelly/Bourne/Meyers at WR.

Just now, big_palooka said:

Other stuff? 

My thing is this:

-over like the last 20 years no patriots assistant coach that went on to be a HC has ever made it to the playoffs outside of O’Brien who is the one exception but even with that it Has to be factored in that oh he inherited a Gary Kubiak team that had one bad year after being built from the ground up by kubiak. Every place you can think of that was a star or a impact player on the team was drafted during the Kubiak era(except for Deshaun Watson which is I think personally prolonged O’Briens head-coaching career). And just so you know gassing up Kubiak, he went on to win the Super Bowl with the Broncos.

-The formula I’ve seen for the last 10 years in particular with patriots assistant head coaches that take over that head-coaching role is this

1. They go choose our new team

2. They start having issues with key players on the team

3. Eventually the key players get traded as the coach brings in eX patriots players(that are usually over the hill or overpaid)

4. The team plummets and gets worse and worse records

5. That coach gets fired. 

it’s the pattern I saw with Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia(Believe it or not the Lions were a playoff team two years before they got Patricia and were 9-7 the year before.)  and O’Brien who I already mention. 

People like Brian Flores(like myself) and will cite him as a winning coach. But with that being said he also has never made the playoffs. 

And then of course when we’re talking particularly about Mcdaniels cheating, it’s not the fact that he cheated; is the fact that after he got caught cheating he was never good again. Players also attest to this as I’m sure people have seen by now. 

now just so people don’t think I’m being negative there are some positives:

-From a personnel standpoint on offense, I think it’s a good fit. There are players that directly translate to what he likes to do such as Derek Carr Darren Waller Hunter Renfrow Jalen Richard and Josh Jacobs. I can also see a player like Zay Jones thriving in this style of offense. (that said don’t expect some kind of deep threat to get signed or drafted now because that’s not really how their offense works.)

-JC Jackson who is my favorite player could potentially be brought to the Raiders Giving us a replacement/upgrade for Casey Hayward who is for sure leaving. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I have no problem with patriots front office people. It’s the coaches that make me nervous. 

My honest question though is like what makes you happy with this hire if it happens? i’m trying to figure out what’s the positive angle on this

Because out of the available candidates I feel like McDaniels has the ability more than most to bring an intriguing aspect to the team offensively that will allow us to compete in the AFC West. Is he my #1 guy, no. Do I prefer him to a defensive minded coach (especially if he is bringing Wink with him)? Absolutely. I also think it speaks volumes about where we are as a franchise now compared to years past that he is even considering coming here. Overall I think there is a lot to be optimistic about when looking at this. 

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Because out of the available candidates I feel like McDaniels has the ability more than most to bring an intriguing aspect to the team offensively that will allow us to compete in the AFC West. Is he my #1 guy, no. Do I prefer him to a defensive minded coach (especially if he is bringing Wink with him)? Absolutely. I also think it speaks volumes about where we are as a franchise now compared to years past that he is even considering coming here. Overall I think there is a lot to be optimistic about when looking at this. 

Agreed. After his failure in Denver followed by completely dissing the Colts, McDaniels knows that he really has one more opportunity to get it right or he's likely never going to be a head coach again. The fact that he is interested in coaching here speaks volumes to how far we've come.

• Like 2