The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Does a respectable coach want to come and coach here? 

First Mayock needs to be fired if he was the one making drafting and personal decisions. We are still devoid of any elite talent at skill positions after 5 1st round picks in 2 years.  Completely unacceptable. 

On the bright side have an upper echelon QB in Carr, a stud TE, some talent at WR and a new stadium so I suppose those are things we have going for us.  

Mark Davis is well....  Mark Davis.

I don't think this is the same situation as the old man Davis days, where everyone around the league knew he ruled with an iron fist where coaches had very limited input and power.  No respectable coach would step within 10 feet away from old man Davis which is why we had absolute trash coaches like Mike White, Bugel, Art Shell x2, Lance Kiffen, Callahan...  I think we can land a talented coach we just have to nail it and I'm not sure Lloyd Christmas aka Mark Davis has the capacity to understand a good coach from a bad coach.  Hopefully he proves me wrong but the fact that he paid a stooge like Gruden 10 million per year indicates that he is clueless when it come to coaching talent.  

Whoever we go after they have have to be a stud HC/GM combo.  This franchise can not have another catastrophic mistake when it comes to this.  

Yes i think one would. Assuming Mayock is fired and a GM this coach trusts is installed.

If i'm part of a respectable coach/gm combo looking for a shot in the NFL i would look for a where the owner gives us time and does not interfer with the football stuff. 

As much as Mark Davis has his faults imo he has shown he gives the football guys time and is hands off. I would be interested in that. 

• Like 1

David Shaw would be an excellent hire, imo. He was an assistant coach with the Raiders during the Gannon era from 1998-2001 and was someone that had a personal relationship with Al Davis before he passed away so I'm sure Mark knows him well. The team is in a weird place with the Gruden stench and controversy lingering over it. Shaw is essentially the anti-Gruden, he'd bring accountability and integrity into the building. He has also shown a willingness to adapt in college as the game has changed but has also always had a commitment to running the ball and playing good, fundamental football. At Stanford he is at a recruiting disadvantage but the program has still been nationally relevant 

Dating back to 1926 Stanford has had 9 10+ win seasons and 5 of them have came under David Shaw.

Dd12iqxV4AA50_O.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roninho said:

Yes i think one would. Assuming Mayock is fired and a GM this coach trusts is installed.

If i'm part of a respectable coach/gm combo looking for a shot in the NFL i would look for a where the owner gives us time and does not interfer with the football stuff. 

As much as Mark Davis has his faults imo he has shown he gives the football guys time and is hands off. I would be interested in that. 

Good point, as much as we see the faults, for a guy looking to become a coach he'd have a brand new stadium, huge fan base ravenous for success, the makings of a competitive roster with a solid QB in place, full slate of draft picks and an owner who seems to want to let the coaches coach. I think Mark would be a good person to work for. 

The one thing that really concerns me is that for the first time in ages Gus Bradley seems to have the D looking up and heading in the right direction and I'd love for him to stay on and see what he can accomplish over two or three years. Obviously if you're bringing in a new coach though he'd usually want to bring in his own people and it's an awkward situation if the new coach has to work with coordinators not chosen by him. Maybe we can get someone who can work with GB but again, that is limiting your candidates too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

The team already has Gus Bradley on defense would he be a Ceo type overseeing everthing ?. I kind like the coach to be hands on in his field of expertise. What you guys think ?

David Shaw is an offensive minded coach. He played WR in college, was an offensive assistant for us back in the day, and was Stanford's OC before taking over as their head coach. During Shaw's time at Stanford the program has had more players drafted then any other school in the Pac-12 despite not being able to recruit a lot of top guys due to their strict academic requirements. Even then Shaw has put a bunch of notable players into the league including Andrew Luck, Christian McCaffery, Zach Ertz just to name a few. 

I think he'd do very well in a CEO overseeing everything type of role. Under Shaw Stanford really went from being a bottom feeding program to a consistent 10+ win team and he has had to do it by adding lower ranked guys then developing them. Obviously college football is much different then the NFL but he has experience building a successful program and instilling a winning culture at a place that had a losing culture for decades before he showed up. We've seen Harbaugh, Carroll, and Kingsbury all have success making the leap and Rhule looks super legit for the Panthers. 

There are 3 reasons why I think Shaw should be the next head coach:

1.) He was an instrumental part in taking Stanford from being a terrible program to one of the best in the country so you know that he can develop talent and understands how to build a winning culture. 

2.) He was on the staff during our last run as a contender in the early 2000's and had a great relationship with Al Davis. He understands the value of the Raiders brand, what it represents, and I think he'd really be dedicated to ensuring that we get back on track to honor his friend, Al Davis. 

3.) He's a no non-sense, very well spoken coach that values integrity and accountability. One of our biggest issues is that we've lacked leadership and I think that changes instantly if you hire him. 

16 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

The team already has Gus Bradley on defense would he be a Ceo type overseeing everthing ?. I kind like the coach to be hands on in his field of expertise. What you guys think ?

I thought David Shaw was an OC previously? 

I really like him as a candidate though. Raider links, good track record, experienced and completely different tact from the TV personality type persona we've had with Gruden. I really enjoyed hearing from him around draft time, very cerebral and I think that is underestimated. The rah rah stuff is all well and good in the short term for motivation but guys like Gruden and his spiel may tire quickly on intelligent players and sooner or later you're going to have to outsmart your opponent to beat them and smart players will know that. Shaw seems humble, self effacing and although not really a high pressure file figure, maybe it's best to have the players as the face of the franchise instead of the loud mouth coach.........

I'd really like to keep Bradley on though so don't know if theres any history there or how that might work.

Just now, Darbsk said:

I really like him as a candidate though. Raider links, good track record, experienced and completely different tact from the TV personality type persona we've had with Gruden. I really enjoyed hearing from him around draft time, very cerebral and I think that is underestimated. The rah rah stuff is all well and good in the short term for motivation but guys like Gruden and his spiel may tire quickly on intelligent players and sooner or later you're going to have to outsmart your opponent to beat them and smart players will know that. Shaw seems humble, self effacing and although not really a high pressure file figure, maybe it's best to have the players as the face of the franchise instead of the loud mouth coach.........

I'd really like to keep Bradley on though so don't know if theres any history there or how that might work.

He was our QB coach back in the day and was Stanford's OC before taking over as their head coach. 

Shaw is extremely well spoken and intelligent. He has had limited resources as a recruiter because Stanford can't go after a ton of top recruits due to the universities strong academic requirements. And even despite that Stanford has won a ton of games and put more players into the league than any other Pac-12 program in recent years. I think it'd be a great look and move for the franchise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeah I’m trippin I don’t know why I thought defense 

• Like 1