The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

Just now, agarcia34 said:

A play caller in reality is only as good as the QB they have. He has to work with Sam Darnold. He's not a miracle worker. 

He's not a miracle worker but there was a story run today by the Athletic about Rhule potentially removing Brady from play calling duties. He wasn't even the offensive coordinator at LSU, he was the passing game coordinator for a year.

The Panthers are currently 26 in yards, 22nd in points, and 30th in yards per play. Last season they were 21st in yards, 24th in points, and 17th in yards per play. 

Could Brady be a good head coach some day? Potentially. But he's 32 and his coaching resume includes 2 years as a LB coach at William & Mary, 2 years as a grad assistant at Penn State, 2 years as an offensive assistant with the Saints, 1 year as the pass game coordinator at LSU, and 2 years as the OC for the Panthers. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He's not a miracle worker but there was a story run today by the Athletic about Rhule potentially removing Brady from play calling duties. He wasn't even the offensive coordinator at LSU, he was the passing game coordinator for a year.

The Panthers are currently 26 in yards, 22nd in points, and 30th in yards per play. Last season they were 21st in yards, 24th in points, and 17th in yards per play. 

Could Brady be a good head coach some day? Potentially. But he's 32 and his coaching resume includes 2 years as a LB coach at William & Mary, 2 years as a grad assistant at Penn State, 2 years as an offensive assistant with the Saints, 1 year as the pass game coordinator at LSU, and 2 years as the OC for the Panthers. 

Joe Brady put Burrow and that LSU offense in position to win thats why he went from 2,000 yards in 2018 to 5,000 passing yards why Jefferson and Chase went from 800 yard and 300 yards to both having over 1,500 yards each.

In todays NFL.. It has shown that your resume doesn't mean anything anymore. Chargers hired a first year DC. Cardinals hired a terrible college HC and there are so many more

Is Joe Brady perfect no but he has an awful QB to work with who they don't trust. Give him the talent that's on the Raiders and I think with Carr, Jacobs, Drake, Waller, Ruggs, Edwards and Renfrow things will be differen't

It may be a year early for him but he's gonna get looks and you have to get them early before the chance is gone. 

22 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Joe Brady put Burrow and that LSU offense in position to win thats why he went from 2,000 yards in 2018 to 5,000 passing yards why Jefferson and Chase went from 800 yard and 300 yards to both having over 1,500 yards each.

In todays NFL.. It has shown that your resume doesn't mean anything anymore. Chargers hired a first year DC. Cardinals hired a terrible college HC and there are so many more

Is Joe Brady perfect no but he has an awful QB to work with who they don't trust. Give him the talent that's on the Raiders and I think with Carr, Jacobs, Drake, Waller, Ruggs, Edwards and Renfrow things will be differen't

It may be a year early for him but he's gonna get looks and you have to get them early before the chance is gone. 

That's fine but it's a 1 year sample and Burrow/Chase are lighting the NFL up without Brady while Brady has been mediocre without them. 

The Chargers haven't proven anything yet though and already had a ton of talent plus just drafted a franchise QB in Herbert. The Cardinals are also an outlier situation because Kliff came in during a year where they had the #1 pick so they were able to draft Murray plus they have a ton of elite talent across the board with Jones, Baker, Hopkins, Simmons, etc. 

You can point to the success of guys like McVay, Kliff, etc. But you also have to look at the failures of guys like Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, Josh McDaniels, and Lane Kiffin to name a few. 

Edited by NYRaider

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Is Joe Brady perfect no but he has an awful QB to work with who they don't trust. Give him the talent that's on the Raiders and I think with Carr, Jacobs, Drake, Waller, Ruggs, Edwards and Renfrow things will be different.

I just like how we can use our team's offensive players as a reference of what a good roster would be for an OC.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jerry said:

I just like how we can use our team's offensive players as a reference of what a good roster would be for an OC.  

Joe Brady seems to be a pretty good offensive mind but it takes a lot more than that to be a good NFL head coach. He's so young and inexperienced, I wouldn't hate it but I could see the team absolutely collapsing under Brady.

• Like 1

I don't really see the point of discussing this right now.

There are lots of games to be played this year first.

First we need to see what happens with our team as we roll into the second half of the season.

If Bisaccia, Olson and Bradley keep the team together and keep them playing this good, then we will win quite some games and be in the PO. Hopefully even make a PO push. 

Then it makes little sense to check on other HC candidates, because then I think we need to keep the staff together. 

The moment Gruden was out I was on the blow everything up corner, but after these past 2 games I'm starting to be really curious about what we have.

From Mark Davis's stand point I think if your existing staff would fare that well and the locker room would stay that close you don't want to make changes. You keep everyone, you keep everyone's salary (obviously Bisaccia could get a bump up and we need to get a ST coach) and you let them show up in 2022 again. 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 7:08 PM, Geezy said:

im hoping we continue to play good ball and make it a no-brainer to keep Basaccia. My thing is, is it a guarantee that we keep the staff in place if we retain him? Ive read hes been in play for a few HC gigs, dont you think hed want to bring in his own guys?

Good question. I'd guess if we had success enough to reach the playoffs and not disgrace ourselves when there, so that he is retained then the coaching you would think would have to be a good standard and all meshing together well. We're not going to reach the playoffs by being the most talented side but by getting the most of the talent we have which would be a sign of good coaching. 

You'd have to look at what ultimately let the side down. If the offence falls flat in the playoffs then there may be changes there for example. Bisaccia no doubt has his favourites who he'd like to have as assistants and I bet he has had plenty of time to think about who he'd like over the years but also if the coaching team that got you there is good and they're working well together he'd be foolish to try and change that too much. I get the feeling from Bisaccia that he's the type of coach who can work with others well, doesn't seem to have a big ego and seems very humble and grounded. I really love the defensive setup we have so hoping we keep that whatever we do. I've always liked Olsen too even though he's not been well regarded here. Maybe these coaches are the best thing Gruden ever gave us!

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

We're not going to reach the playoffs by being the most talented side but by getting the most of the talent we have which would be a sign of good coaching.

This roster is playoff level.

Good QB, 2 good RBs, WRs have stepped up and the top 3 are looking good, 2 good TEs (Waller being an elite player at his position), very good LT. The young guys on the oline are improving as they learn to play as a unit.

2 very good DEs, DTs are just above average but they do enough to complement the DEs, 2 LBs are very complementary. DBs are looking good due to amazing coaching and vastly improved pass rush.

ST is near the top of the league. AJ Cole is turning into the next great Raider punter.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Good QB, 2 good RBs, WRs have stepped up and the top 3 are looking good, 2 good TEs (Waller being an elite player at his position), very good LT. The young guys on the oline are improving as they learn to play as a unit.

2 very good DEs, DTs are just above average but they do enough to complement the DEs, 2 LBs are very complementary. DBs are looking good due to amazing coaching and vastly improved pass rush.

ST is near the top of the league. AJ Cole is turning into the next great Raider punter.

This is on par with my thoughts but I wanted to expand that Abram's play is still rough around the edges but he's night and day compared to last year. Been very pleased with how he's performed and hope he continues to stay healthy and progress. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:
6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We're not going to reach the playoffs by being the most talented side but by getting the most of the talent we have which would be a sign of good coaching.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying we are talent-less, what I am saying is that we can't just turn up and rely on pure talent to beat good teams. We need good coaching when we come up against playoff contenders and we need to accentuate our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses. We've done that the last two weeks and we'll need that more in the big games. 

Whichever way you cut it our OL is among the least talented in the league. We have a good to very good LT but every other position on the line is replacement level. Our receivers are young and have improved but you wouldn't say any are Pro Bowl types as of right now (though I know we all love Renfrow), it's not like we've got AJ Green and Hopkins or Higgins and Chase for example. Our two RBs are OK and we used Drake to his strengths but we don't have a Dalvin Cook or Barkley or Chubb. Carr and Waller are both very talented, no argument there. 

On defence we have a couple nice pass rushing ends but neither are great run defenders like a Boss or Mack and we're getting great production at DT with great coaching and a bunch of decent to average level guys. The LBs outside Littleton are bargain bin pickups in Perryman and Wright and the secondary has been patched with guys like Facyson, Leavitt, Robertson and two rookies whilst Abram is being reinvented so I give an awful lot of credit there to the coaching. Moehrig does look like a gem though and Hayward is playing at an All Pro level so far.

I hope it's clear that we do have some talent but the coaching is certainly getting the most out of it and we're greater than the sum of our parts was kind of the angle I was taking 😀

Edited by Darbsk

11 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Now THIS is interesting. It would mean that this isn't necessarily random and solely based on Gruden being gone

Agreed.  Obviously we still have to see how the season plays out.  But we may have been kind of lucky in that aspect.  We get to kick the tires on a promising candidate without making a blind commitment.  

Edited by SodakRaiders
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

Agreed.  Obviously we still have to see how the season plays out.  But we may have been kind of lucky in that aspect.  We get to kick the tires on a promising candidate without making a blind commitment.  

But we get the long look with a non-rebuild roster while you already have a franchise quarterback and weapons to support. You get a very realistic look. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, NYRaider said:

Not to mention...the weapons he had at his disposal in that one year were ungodly in comparison to their competition. 

Burrow, CEH, Jefferson, Chase, Marshall, Moss.

How often do you come across a 1st round QB and 2 first round WRs on a single team playing significant snaps at the same time, all of whom have proven to be at least better than average NFL talent, a first round RB, and a 2nd round WR that very easily could've gone in the 1st, and a pretty decent TE who was only undrafted due to injury? 

Not sure about Moss, but the other 5 guys absolutely belong on NFL rosters, probably all as eventual long term starters. That's ridiculously rare to come across. Stevie Wonder could have coordinated a successful passing game with that at his disposal lol