The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Leftwich, Moore, O'Connell is a distant 3rd from the list of OCs.

Truth be told, very few of the DC guys intrigue me. 

Keep the college guys TF away unless it's David Shaw or maybe Pat Fitzgerald. We don't need some neophyte like Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell coming in. Oklahoma was so freaking set after Stoops that a blind walrus could've succeeded, and I don't think Riley has done that good of a job the further we get from the Stoops years. Campbell has done ok for himself at Iowa St, considering it's Iowa St, but he just lacks that something for me. 

Man, it's really not a great year to need a new HC.

28 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Leftwich, Moore, O'Connell is a distant 3rd from the list of OCs.

Truth be told, very few of the DC guys intrigue me. 

Keep the college guys TF away unless it's David Shaw or maybe Pat Fitzgerald. We don't need some neophyte like Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell coming in. Oklahoma was so freaking set after Stoops that a blind walrus could've succeeded, and I don't think Riley has done that good of a job the further we get from the Stoops years. Campbell has done ok for himself at Iowa St, considering it's Iowa St, but he just lacks that something for me. 

Man, it's really not a great year to need a new HC.

Not a big fan of left with or more due to the fact that their teams are loaded with talent. That's really my problem with all the OC guys. With DC guys you have to be an overachiever for me to want to hire you. 

So I am between a rock and a hard place when it comes to some of these coaching prospects and what we have currently. The hope for me is that we somehow turn it around with what we have now so we can keep what we have now going try to build upon it next year. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm sure it will be someone like Doug Peterson. I'm not getting hopes up this will be a good hire when it comes. 

The GM hire is far more crucial. They need someone who can actually give the coach talent to work with. 

Pederson honestly wouldn't be a terrible hire. He can definitely call plays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

If we continue to crumble, I’d hope we have interest in Brian Daboll. 

Call me crazy, nothing strikes me as him being a good HC. Great play caller, but being a HC requires a lot more. 

I get the trend in the NFL is if you want a great play caller, you make them the HC, but I don't like that in Vegas where they need leadership. 

A Dabol hire, you better have a stellar group of assistant coaches. That goes for any in the clichéd "young genius" category 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Go ask Philly fans how they feel about Pederson. Or scroll back in this thread, I think one of them laid it out for us.

Pederson would just add to the sinking ship. Dude left Philly in worse shape than Chip Kelly, and that's saying something. 

Dude was anchored by Frank Reich and Foles' improbable run to the Super Bowl. 

Keep the grey Rob Riggle way away from my team. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Who do you got?

I think after the whole negative events in this fall, Mark Davis is seeking for a more proven guy to get back on the road to success. No one can guarantee us the success, I think the chances are higher, if we get one who had success before

Therefore I kind of hope we would hire Jim Harbaugh. The 49ers had 8(?) consecutive loosing seasons and he turned that into 3 consecutive championship games. His worst season was 8-8, which would be pretty our best in recent years.

Also I think it might help us with our lack of playmakers in the WR corps, if we switch to a more run-heavy scheme.
In our pass-heavy league it's maybe easier to find a difference-maker at RB in later draft rounds (if we can't get Jacobs to that level he already was) and we can concentrate on fixing OL and DL.

And as a bonus for the guys who like a guy with raiders in his pedigree: 
He was our QBs coach at our lastsuper bowl appearence.

(I don't know if he's available, but I think we will go for a guy had success as a HC on NFL level and can build a winning culture)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I think after the whole negative events in this fall, Mark Davis is seeking for a more proven guy to get back on the road to success. No one can guarantee us the success, I think the chances are higher, if we get one who had success before

Therefore I kind of hope we would hire Jim Harbaugh. The 49ers had 8(?) consecutive loosing seasons and he turned that into 3 consecutive championship games. His worst season was 8-8, which would be pretty our best in recent years.

Also I think it might help us with our lack of playmakers in the WR corps, if we switch to a more run-heavy scheme.
In our pass-heavy league it's maybe easier to find a difference-maker at RB in later draft rounds (if we can't get Jacobs to that level he already was) and we can concentrate on fixing OL and DL.

And as a bonus for the guys who like a guy with raiders in his pedigree: 
He was our QBs coach at our lastsuper bowl appearence.

(I don't know if he's available, but I think we will go for a guy had success as a HC on NFL level and can build a winning culture)

Funny you say this, because this makes sense to me as well. 2 week, if he looses to Ohio St. again, who knows what happens. 

I'd have no issues with Harbaugh. But what GM would you pair with him? That was the friction that lead to him leaving SF. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Funny you say this, because this makes sense to me as well. 2 week, if he looses to Ohio St. again, who knows what happens. 

I'd have no issues with Harbaugh. But what GM would you pair with him? That was the friction that lead to him leaving SF. 

I don't know. Without googling I know 3 GMs - Gutekunst, Keim and Mayock 😅

Besides that there would also be the optione that Harbaugh gets the full control without a GM or Mayock stays as GM.

2 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I don't know. Without googling I know 3 GMs - Gutekunst, Keim and Mayock 😅

Besides that there would also be the optione that Harbaugh gets the full control without a GM or Mayock stays as GM.

No. No. No. 

No Harbaugh full control. Great coach, not a great GM on the side. We've gotta find someone with a spine. 

Moreover though, Mayock, imo, has got to go. 

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about what his role has even been. Did he have a hand in 1st round picks at all? When the guy Gruden want wasn't there, was Mayock the force behind the panic picks? Did he have any hand in negotiating the horrid contracts or was he effectively useless in that department? Did he indeed have full control of the draft post-round 1? 

So with Mayock, we can really only talk about what has been more or less accepted.

1. He had a couple of hits in latter rounds (Renfrow, Crosby, Moreau, Hobbs, Edwards) but almost as many absolute whiffs (Bowden, Muse, Johnson, Robertson). While easy to say "He got us some talent", the same can be said for 90% of GMs and 99% of posters on here lol. 

2. He had at least some influence on the first round (See: Arnette), and our first round drafting has been atrocious. 

3. He played a role on damage control, and hasn't been very good at that.

Unpopular draft pick? "Our guy likely wouldn't have been there later and stop asking how we came to that conclusion.". "He was the most Pro-ready player (but his tape leaves a lot to be desired so there's no way to hype up the guy very much so I'm not going to even try).". 

Obviously blown picks? "I learn from the mistakes." (But makes the same mistakes). 

Players do something absolutely stupid? "I want to be there for him." (Willingly taking time that needs to be focused on the team and reallocating it to a goober despite an already spotty job performance. Go be a therapist then, Mike.)

His performances in service of damage control have left a lot to be desired for me. I thought Carr was the better talker. Mayock is doing what a semi-sentient novice could do in this regard. 

So all he has is a couple of hits, but his hands all over whiffs that had bad optics from the get go and arguably set us back from round 1 onward to varying degrees. He's not particularly good at damage control. And the rest of what a GM should be doing, we have no clue he even does it, though the rumor and innuendo seems to indicate he does not. 

Seems to me that Mayock is essentially the Raiders own Dmitry Medvedev and is essentially an empty suit filling a position for the sake of the position being filled while being ill-prepared and largely incapable of even doing that job's function. 

If things ran smoothly amid the chaos, I'd maybe feel differently. But they haven't been smooth at all. We may not know every detail of what Mayock actually does, bit we know a good bit, and it's not a particularly good bit