The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I agree with most of what you're saying here but thinking about it, I don't think this is such a big disadvantage and in certain circumstances might be positive. Get the right guys in and let them playcall and run their schemes whilst the HC oversees the team. Sometimes I feel a coach can have too many hats on and take their eyes off the ball. I wouldn't hold that specific detail against Bisaccia. I'd probably still prefer a Jim Harbaugh, a Brian Flores or a Mike Zimmer or David Shaw but he's definitely earned a genuine consideration. I'd really like to know what his ideal scenario with regard OC and scheme and DC and scheme would be........ He might also be working with guys he wouldn't have hand picked himself.

The reason that almost every coordinator that becomes a head coach is a former OC/DC is because they bring an identity to the team. Like we've seen with McVay, Kingsbury, Shanahan, Tomlin, etc. There's obviously strategy on special teams but special teams in general is more or less about just not screwing up. Throughout Rich's career his primary focus has just been to ensure that our kick/punt coverage is good, our returners know what to do, and our kicker/punter just don't shank kicks. 

Rich seems to be a very good macro manager but Olson is terrible and Bradley is good but not great. Giving them full control over what we're doing on both sides is not a great strategy long term, imo. 

If Rich is brought back I don't think that he's going to hand pick new coordinators, I think the entire staff will be back.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The reason that almost every coordinator that becomes a head coach is a former OC/DC is because they bring an identity to the team. Like we've seen with McVay, Kingsbury, Shanahan, Tomlin, etc. There's obviously strategy on special teams but special teams in general is more or less about just not screwing up. Throughout Rich's career his primary focus has just been to ensure that our kick/punt coverage is good, our returners know what to do, and our kicker/punter just don't shank kicks. 

Rich seems to be a very good macro manager but Olson is terrible and Bradley is good but not great. Giving them full control over what we're doing on both sides is not a great strategy long term, imo. 

If Rich is brought back I don't think that he's going to hand pick new coordinators, I think the entire staff will be back.

Well, I'm a little more confident that with better talent the coordinators will look better too. Can we upgrade on all? Yes I think we can but I do think if the same staff came back and we were to successfully add a very good WR, a good RT and a very good DT and maybe another DB that we'd be a difficult team to beat.

I honestly don't know what Bisaccia would do in an ideal world, whether he'd be an old school pound the rock type of coach or a spread offence, college type of guy. Whether he'd be blitz happy 3-4 or conservative cover 3 in a 4-3. I think he'd probably keep the same staff but who knows. That's all the different unknowns. 

A big part of me wants to find out but I'm also a fan of Harbaugh, Shaw and Flores plus I really like Zimmer too. They are more accomplished coaches for sure but they've all got their warts too. It's going to be a fascinating off season!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The only way that I'd be okay with Rich coming back is if we hire a young, stud OC that is the head coach in waiting.

Well then the Raiders would have to look for another OC in a season or two. I’d rather have that young stud as a HC and not lose that guy in a year or two. 

7 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

I don't know what to think about Flores.

I mean, Yes I think he was one of the better coaches. But what I've read is that there was a bad climate in the locker room especially with Tua because Flores was a strong advocate for a Watson trade.

Have you seen Tua play QB? Not mad at a guy for wanting a QB who could turn his team into a true contender. 

34 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Have you seen Tua play QB? Not mad at a guy for wanting a QB who could turn his team into a true contender. 

The Watson rumors where already before the start of the season and especially after they changed the whole scheme for Tua and traded away their first round picks to pair him with Waddle.

A little to much investment for then trading your QB away. Especially Ehen the target QB is facing a lawsuit because of sexual misconduct in 22 cases.

Hard pass on Flores. Apparently is a control freak, hard to work with and abrasive with the FO staff. That aside, the way he churned through OCs and even went as far to have "co-offensive coordinators" tells me all I need to know. 

Miami has been a mess, but Ross isn't an idiot. Him cutting bait right now is telling in my view. There are some good football people in that FO.

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Miami has been a mess, but Ross isn't an idiot. Him cutting bait right now is telling in my view. There are some good football people in that FO.

Miami's front office wanted to draft Justin Herbert but they selected Tua (coming off of a broken hip) because Ross thought that he was a left handed Drew Brees. Him being extremely open and public about wanting to trade for Watson all season definitely helped the team as well.

2 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

The Watson rumors where already before the start of the season and especially after they changed the whole scheme for Tua and traded away their first round picks to pair him with Waddle.

A little to much investment for then trading your QB away. Especially Ehen the target QB is facing a lawsuit because of sexual misconduct in 22 cases.

The Watson to Miami rumors started because they realized they made a mistake taking Tua. They didn't change their whole scheme for Tua, their OL was a mess and they could not run the ball. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Watson to Miami rumors started because they realized they made a mistake taking Tua. They didn't change their whole scheme for Tua, their OL was a mess and they could not run the ball. 

Change the word scheme with the word playbook 

If you have a leftie you have to mirror the whole playbook.

25 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

Change the word scheme with the word playbook 

If you have a leftie you have to mirror the whole playbook.

Flores never wanted Tua, their owner forced it. He wanted them to draft Herbert and wanted to start Fitzmagic last year but their owner loved Tua. Tua struggled and the owner made it extremely public that they were looking to make a move for Watson which forced Flores to go to bat for Tua, a guy he didn't want, lol.

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I agree with most of what you're saying here but thinking about it, I don't think this is such a big disadvantage and in certain circumstances might be positive. Get the right guys in and let them playcall and run their schemes whilst the HC oversees the team. Sometimes I feel a coach can have too many hats on and take their eyes off the ball. I wouldn't hold that specific detail against Bisaccia. I'd probably still prefer a Jim Harbaugh, a Brian Flores or a Mike Zimmer or David Shaw but he's definitely earned a genuine consideration. I'd really like to know what his ideal scenario with regard OC and scheme and DC and scheme would be........ He might also be working with guys he wouldn't have hand picked himself.

I don’t discount any of what your saying. 
I didn’t do a good job elaborating on parts of my post.  

I don’t see us being able to grab an elite level OC.  I just don’t.  Rich B staying works if your bringing in a high level OC.

but I with what your saying.  I liked how Bradley came in and the defense was all his while Gruden had the offense.  You gotta split up responsibilities.

• Like 1