The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, it's frustrating like you're dealing w/ a 13 y/o who thinks they're right about absolutely everything. You then show them  how they're wrong and they just conveniently forget stuff or make up their own logic to discredit the opposition b/c they can't admit to being wrong. Don't worry, I can see this now and will just ignore him.

The rest of your post is reasonable..... except I won't claim Al did too much things that were "right" the last decade of his life lol.

Your only criticisms of Harbaugh are his record against top programs and the fact that he hasn't coached in the NFL in half a decade. I understand why you are hesitant and it may turn out to be another Gruden like situation but I think that his overall track record is better than Gruden's by a good margin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Literally NOTHING you've posted in regards to Jim Harbaugh makes any sense. You're parroting every Ohio St. fan boy on twitter. I'll trust people without a bias. 

Michigan was a mess when he got there, he turned them into a respectable program again. Comparing what he walked into at Michigan to where Ohio St was at, is like comparing Ole Miss to Alabama. 

Yeah, him being awful against his rivals, teams with similar recruits, and bowl games makes no sense. What was I thinking?? Lol

I mean, who wants guys who can actually coach against comparable talent?? Overrated. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Monte Kiffin is one of the greatest defensive coaches ever and his son Lane Kiffin is an offensive minded coach.

He’s an Offensive Coach…. That’s a-hole minded….

but yeah of course it can happen…. I just think it’s interesting.  2 generations of generational defensive minds and the grandson moves to other side of the ball.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

In the last 10 years Ohio St. has ranked #1 in recruiting in the Big 10 all but 2019. They average a 39 pts. better in recruiting score since Harbaugh started at UM.

In the last 10 classes, Ohio St. (27) ranks 3rd behind only Alabama (46), Georgia (34) in 5 star recruits. Michigan has only landed 8. 

The whole recruitment at Michigan and Harbaugh’s record versus OSU/elite schools and lower level schools is an argument that goes in circles.

At Michigan Harbaugh more often then not lost to teams that were significantly more talented and beat teams more often then not that we’re significantly less talented.  Also, in college Harbaugh was limited in how much he can improve his roster the first year and a little bit less limitations every year after.  He was stuck with the players from the previous classes in initially and could only add limited amount of new players via recruitment every season.  
I don’t think it’s a coincidence the year he beats OSU is the first year his first class of recruits are seniors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

This heated up real fast 😆

When you look at the totality of what he's done at Michigan vs what was expected of him, it's underwhelming. Period. He was expected to compete for the top 4 annually. He hasn't delivered. 

But he did deliver last year. Perhaps too late, or took too long. But he did show success last year. Personally I just think his style is better suited for the professional environment, which is why he's performed better in the NFL. And I like to think Al Davis was right when he told him it was a mistake to go to college 😄

He has never consistently had top 4 recruiting classes, like Michigan hasn't throughout it's history because it isn't a true powerhouse programme, so anyone thinking he should do that is off base. 

He has won where ever he has gone, had more NFL playoff wins than this franchise has in the last 2 decades with two decent but nothing special QBs despite only coaching for 4 years. He would be a slam dunk hire, minor league success or failure really isn't relevant in discussing NFL HC either. 

Maybe we should look at a guy who has an undefeated record against Harbaugh then and is even a free agent.... 

Won lot's of "big" games too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

The whole recruitment at Michigan and Harbaugh’s record versus OSU/elite schools and lower level schools is an argument that goes in circles.

At Michigan Harbaugh more often then not lost to teams that were significantly more talented and beat teams more often then not that we’re significantly less talented.  Also, in college Harbaugh was limited in how much he can improve his roster the first year and a little bit less limitations every year after.  He was stuck with the players from the previous classes in initially and could only add limited amount of new players via recruitment every season.  
I don’t think it’s a coincidence the year he beats OSU is the first year his first class of recruits are seniors.

Yup. Because if we're basing it purely what they have done in college then Nick Saban and Urban Meyer should've been elite coaches and Kliff Kingsbury would've been fired already.

So it seems like the Raiders have found two minority interviews for the HC and GM positions, which will fufill the Rooney Rule requirements. We’re interviewing Pats ILB coach Jerrod Mayo for HC and Bengals scout Trey Brown for GM.

At first I thought maybe Mayo was a lesser known candidate that could surprise but after we request to interview a Minority (I hate that word btw and I’m the last person whose PC/SjW) for GM whose only a scout and whose resume (see link) is far from impressive, I begin to think Maybe we already know What we’re doing and are satisfying the Rooney Rule.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Brown

Once there guys get interviewed I think things start to Happen fast for us.

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

So it seems like the Raiders have found two minority interviews for the HC and GM positions, which will fufill the Rooney Rule requirements. We’re interviewing Pats ILB coach Jerrod Mayo for HC and Bengals scout Trey Brown for GM.

At first I thought maybe Mayo was a lesser known candidate that could surprise but after we request to interview a Minority (I hate that word btw and I’m the last person whose PC/SjW) for GM whose only a scout and whose resume (see link) is far from impressive, I begin to think Maybe we already know What we’re doing and are satisfying the Rooney Rule.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Brown

Once there guys get interviewed I think things start to Happen fast for us.

I pray Mark already has offers to Dodd and Harbaugh. Free agency is 2 months away and the draft will be here sooner than you know it. We need someone that has a plan.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Yup. Because if we're basing it purely what they have done in college then Nick Saban and Urban Meyer should've been elite coaches and Kliff Kingsbury would've been fired already.

What? I’m not basing it on what JH did in college.  I’m not even drying a conclusion.  

What I’m saying is JH came to Michigan and the team had been bad for like 3 years and subpar recruitment and/or development of those recruits for the last few years left the roster in pretty bad shape.  Michigan is a good program and does get good recruits but it’s not the premier destination and never will be that would allow Any coach to turn the roster over in a year or two.  

If you want to find fault with JH’s time at Michigan you can, if you want to give him credit for it you can.  But each side isn’t looking at the situation and drawing a logical conclusion….. the situation allows for either opinion to be made to support the Persons opinion prior to looking at the facts.

JH really needs another 1-2 years at Michigan before enough “data” is there to Fairly judge him.  

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

What? I’m not basing it on what JH did in college.  I’m not even drying a conclusion.  

What I’m saying is JH came to Michigan and the team had been bad for like 3 years and subpar recruitment and/or development of those recruits for the last few years left the roster in pretty bad shape.  Michigan is a good program and does get good recruits but it’s not the premier destination and never will be that would allow Any coach to turn the roster over in a year or two.  
If you want to find fault with JH’s time at Michigan you can, if you want to give him credit for it you can.  But each side isn’t looking at the situation and drawing a logical conclusion….. the situation allows for either opinion to be made to support the Persons opinion prior to looking at the facts.

JH really needs another 1-2 years at Michigan before enough “data” is there to Fairly judge him.  

My point is that you can be a great college coach and a terrible NFL coach or vice versa. Other than Nick Sabin what coaches have come to programs and turned them into contenders? Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day inherited elite programs when they took over. Michigan was not in a good place when Harbaugh was hired and they just finished the season ranked #3.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I pray Mark already has offers to Dodd and Harbaugh. Free agency is 2 months away and the draft will be here sooner than you know it. We need someone that has a plan.

I agree with you…. (Pssss it’s a fun thing to Do with people you should try it sometime,,, lol jk)…. We gotta get going.  We should hire Dodd no matter what and if JH wants to be out Coach sign him Right away if not move onto the next best options before they all get gobbled up.  I don’t want to wait and end up with JH staying at UM and we’re picking from sloppy seconds.

Not only the draft and FA…. We also need to bring in coaches, Directors of Scouting/Pro Personell/etc, scouts, etc

Edited by jimkelly02