The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

You can say why is he being so picky but if you know this could be your last chance at a HC job why wouldn’t you be picky and why wouldn’t you want the structure the way you want it to be to set you up for success. It’s not about power it’s about not putting yourself in a situation where you may not see eye to eye with the front office that was already in there. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

Just now, big_palooka said:

This is false. It was reported at the time, he wants a FO he trusts to pick players. Wants to work in unison with a GM on constructing a roster. 

I don't disagree. I'm not a fan of the Pats tree. My argument here is, I would rather take a shot on McDaniels than hand Bisaccia a job he's not qualified for long term. 

Vrabel never was under Belichick. He started at Ohio State and the was the DC for Bill O'Brien.

Ballard was never with the Pats.... he came from KC. 

I am not against a "leader of men" type of coach but they need to have very good staff.  If the Tafur is right and Rich is even thinking about bringing back the same staff then I would not even consider him for HC.  We will lose games just because of the staff.  I personally am sick of watching us lose games because of the coaching staff.  We did not win games because of Rich.  We had a run of good luck and Bradley was the only qualified top coach.  Even he needed some luck. Imagine it is not a covid season and we had Guenther as DC still.  Do we win any of the games in the 2nd half of the season?  This was my fear of winning a few games down the stretch and making the playoffs.  No way Rich is even thought of as a long term answer before this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

You can say why is he being so picky but if you know this could be your last chance at a HC job why wouldn’t you be picky and why wouldn’t you want the structure the way you want it to be to set you up for success. It’s not about power it’s about not putting yourself in a situation where you may not see eye to eye with the front office that was already in there. 

Those two FOs are objectively great at drafting and player acquisition though? Colts have drafted most All-Pros in the league the last 3 or 4 years. He wants control, hence no GM having power over him when GM should have power to fire him

Recently with the Browns yes. Dorsey did a good job with the draft and Andrew Berry who was just hired in 2020 so can’t say much there. But let’s not pretend that the browns FO from anything before 2020 hasn’t been a dumpster fire in general. Many people were skeptical of DePodesta who just came from the MLB. Things worked out and they hired Andrew Berry and their HC. Doesn’t mean that what Josh wants is not right. 

And I’m sure he wants some power. Which HC dosent. Which HC dosent want some say in the players he’s gonna coach.

Edited by agarcia34

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Okay... and that means what in 2022 and beyond? What else does he offer as a head coach?

I rather a HC that has proven to be able to keep a locker room together over one that has shown he can tear one apart. 

im not huge on Rich but I do like that it was reported that there would be changes in the coaching staff should he stay. 

Edited by Geezy

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not against a "leader of men" type of coach but they need to have very good staff.  If the Tafur is right and Rich is even thinking about bringing back the same staff then I would not even consider him for HC.  We will lose games just because of the staff.  I personally am sick of watching us lose games because of the coaching staff.  We did not win games because of Rich.  We had a run of good luck and Bradley was the only qualified top coach.  Even he needed some luck. Imagine it is not a covid season and we had Guenther as DC still.  Do we win any of the games in the 2nd half of the season?  This was my fear of winning a few games down the stretch and making the playoffs.  No way Rich is even thought of as a long term answer before this.

With as many times this team has collapsed and/or quit, there is a lot to be said for a coach that got everything he could out of players. Whether he’s an Xs and Os guy or not. I just wouldn’t be in a hurry to toss a guy like Rich to the side for a guy who hasn’t proven he could be successful outside of NE 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

With as many times this team has collapsed and/or quit, there is a lot to be said for a coach that got everything he could out of players. Whether he’s an Xs and Os guy or not. I just wouldn’t be in a hurry to toss a guy like Rich to the side for a guy who hasn’t proven he could be successful outside of NE 

I agree with this. Rich would be a terrific candidate if there were assurances that he would have high level coordinators flanking him. His tenure as the HC showed me that Rich gets the most out of his talent. There is a ton of value in that skill set. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

We need to build for the future and Rich is not it.  He had a nice run, the team played inspired football under him but he is not a HC and we should not waste time hiring him.  He is 61 years old and his highest level of coaching is our ST coach prior to being thrust into a HC position.  There is a reason for that. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I agree with this. Rich would be a terrific candidate if there were assurances that he would have high level coordinators flanking him. His tenure as the HC showed me that Rich gets the most out of his talent. There is a ton of value in that skill set. 

I doubt a life ST coach has highly qualified coordinators lined up. Just my opinion. 

I also don't buy the "he gets the most out of his talent" argument. You want that coach, hire Bradley... he's the reason the team held it together getting what he could out of his defense. 

Bisaccia was a fine interim coach, but he's Romeo Crenell or Freddie Kitchens. Fun story, but new season will expose everything he's not.

Again... I'm not hiring a coach I have no confidence can go toe to toe with Andy Reid in the division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I doubt a life ST coach has highly qualified coordinators lined up. Just my opinion. 

I also don't buy the "he gets the most out of his talent" argument. You want that coach, hire Bradley... he's the reason the team held it together getting what he could out of his defense. 

Bisaccia was a fine interim coach, but he's Romeo Crenell or Freddie Kitchens. Fun story, but new season will expose everything he's not.

Again... I'm not hiring a coach I have no confidence can go toe to toe with Andy Reid in the division. 

This is a fair response. I don’t have confidence that he’d get the right coordinators so I’m not pounding the table for him. 

4 hours ago, Geezy said:

It appears like he did a decent job but the circumstances our opponents faced I believe had more to do with our wins than Rich did.  He will be like Carr but in coach form.  He will need great coordinators and things to go his way to be successful.  If you want a leader of men coach then sign KNJ.  He has limited knowledge of Xs and Os also.

22 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It appears like he did a decent job but the circumstances our opponents faced I believe had more to do with our wins than Rich did.  He will be like Carr but in coach form.  He will need great coordinators and things to go his way to be successful.  If you want a leader of men coach then sign KNJ.  He has limited knowledge of Xs and Os also.

Where has KNJ been successful. I’m not opposed to moving on from Bissacia, but let’s just make sure it’s an upgrade. Rich may be limited but he’s had more success than a lot of coaches in his short time here. A lot of teams fold in these circumstances. I think a lot of y’all are taking what he did for granted 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Recently with the Browns yes. Dorsey did a good job with the draft and Andrew Berry who was just hired in 2020 so can’t say much there. But let’s not pretend that the browns FO from anything before 2020 hasn’t been a dumpster fire in general. Many people were skeptical of DePodesta who just came from the MLB. Things worked out and they hired Andrew Berry and their HC. Doesn’t mean that what Josh wants is not right. 

And I’m sure he wants some power. Which HC dosent. Which HC dosent want some say in the players he’s gonna coach.

DePodesta had overseen fantastic structure for the franchise since 2017 onwards, their drafts were excellent and the org was extremely well regarded. Just wasn't loaded with Pats/John Carroll guys unfortunately. 

I'm fine with the youth or experienced direction. 

GM Trey Brown, a proven very good scout but young at 36 years old + Daboll + Malik Willis is something I'd be very down for. I've said for a while I love the Daboll/Willis combination since last spring. He would develop that guy into a monster. 

If we go the experience route, any proven General Manager, Director or VP of Player Personnel + Jim Harbaugh would be a solid combination. 

Would be really hard for Mark to mess this up... but he usually does.