The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Ive stated thatd id be for Rich to return if that meant wed upgrade at OC. I think Bradley did good enough in year one to return, and see if a couple more pieces can make us into a legit defense. On offense, i think the biggest thing is getting a play caller than can manufacture easy touches for play makers. The way McVay gets the ball into OBJs and Kupps hands, Taylor gets it to Chase, Reid gets it to Hill and Kelce etc. Were so robotic on offense, i think DC is good enough to compete with the best but he needs help from the play caller, and those around him. With a crap OL, no run game, and Gruden calling plays with his full set of weapons our offense was on point. The run game got going, but our OL was still a weakness, with pressure and penalties, even in the run game i think Josh made a lot out of nothing. I think with a piece or two on the OL, and a WR the offense can be competitive again. With all that said, id still prefer Harbaugh and even some other candidates over Rich. More of my comments have been about what these guys did this past year and giving them the credit thats due. They were a playoff team, thats a fact. Long term, we need someone to compete with the Andy Reids of the world. i dont think its all gloom and doom, we have pieces to compete, its sucks that we might have to overhaul the staff and with that comes a roster overhaul, but were good at key pieces and dont need a complete rebuild like some may think. 

I agree and said we are a couple players and a coach away from being good but the issue we run into is the cap now.  I agree Rich can be a decent coach but he needs pieces around him but I am tired of having guys in key positions that are good if others around them are good.  I want a coach that can elevate the team.  Looking at what we had last year the team does not need to be overhauled but when you look at the team moving forward you have to factor in contracts and we have nothing that is favorable.  We have players that suck that provide very little cap relief but are horrible if we retain them, good young talent that is looking to get paid now, and a Carr/Waller that are going to ask for a lot more money.  If we extended Renfrow, Crosby, Carr, and Waller that eats up all of the cap for next year already.  We have cap space in 2023 but if we make the prudent choices in 2022 you can expect the only improvements over this year to come from the coaches.  I would not expect us to face as many teams at the right time next year either.  I am not saying blow the thing up either but we are going to be at a crossroads this offseason and next.

40 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree and said we are a couple players and a coach away from being good but the issue we run into is the cap now.  I agree Rich can be a decent coach but he needs pieces around him but I am tired of having guys in key positions that are good if others around them are good.  I want a coach that can elevate the team.  Looking at what we had last year the team does not need to be overhauled but when you look at the team moving forward you have to factor in contracts and we have nothing that is favorable.  We have players that suck that provide very little cap relief but are horrible if we retain them, good young talent that is looking to get paid now, and a Carr/Waller that are going to ask for a lot more money.  If we extended Renfrow, Crosby, Carr, and Waller that eats up all of the cap for next year already.  We have cap space in 2023 but if we make the prudent choices in 2022 you can expect the only improvements over this year to come from the coaches.  I would not expect us to face as many teams at the right time next year either.  I am not saying blow the thing up either but we are going to be at a crossroads this offseason and next.

We will have to use Littleton, Kwit and Nassib as post June 1. Not entirely sure how it works. But if we cut them straight up, we’d save $8m. I know post June 1s, you get to spread that over two years, so I’m assuming we save another $12m by spreading that to ‘23. If that is right that would put us around $60m. With decisions to make on DC, Waller, Crosby, Renfrow and even Jacobs if we decide to 5th Year him. We can probably save some money by extending(or trading) DC and Waller while moving money to future years and adding guaranteed money. Overall, I don’t think the situation is dire but we’d def be in a lot better shape without those 3 terrible contracts. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Seems to be learning from mistakes. And he's got a lot of moving parts. The team won 10 games, made a playoff appearance. He has a interim coach and staff to consider. A "good enough" QB who's future is up in the air. I imagine part of the GM/coaching conversations are around "what would you do with Carr".

I appreciate the approach thus far. He has to nail both hires. If he hires someone who crashes after a 10 win season,  he'll be at fault. 

Everyone knew Marks life goal was to bring back Gruden, which for reasons outside his control didn’t work out in the end. Not mad at him for going after his dream lol but this next hire we will see where we are at with ownership IMO. I appreciate him taking his time and not rushing to a decision. I’m not as down on Mark as a lot of fans. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Dodds and Harbaugh would have this team a playoff team year 1 most likely. A wildcard team, but a better wildcard team. And hopefully by year two, a contender. I think project #1 will be rebuild the OL. 

This is what I’m hoping for, bringing in Fangio to run the D would be a Home run. 

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We’re 3-4 good players from being a legit playoff team. I just hope we nail the hire.

More than that if you consider the OL, but yeah we’re not too far away. I think we need a C, G, and RT. And we need a WR and LB. A LB will make a world of difference on this team. 

With just those upgrades, we are worlds better. 

We definitely need a better CB at some point… but Hayward and Mullen can hold their own for another year if need be. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

More than that if you consider the OL, but yeah we’re not too far away. I think we need a C, G, and RT. And we need a WR and LB. A LB will make a world of difference on this team. 

We definitely need a better CB at some point… but Hayward and Mullen can hold their own for another year if need be. 

I think good coming back will help. And those guys don’t even need to be good on the OL. Just average. I don’t want to see Simpson/Parker playing any snaps next year.

If the 49ers win the Super Bowl with defense, Ryans might shoot up to #1 for me. The argument will be Saleh fizzled out in the Jets… I never thought Saleh was gonna be a good Head Coach. Doesn’t have the personality or leadership. Ryans has a solid personality and leadership capability. 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If the 49ers win the Super Bowl with defense, Ryans might shoot up to #1 for me. The argument will be Saleh fizzled out in the Jets… I never thought Saleh was gonna be a good Head Coach. Doesn’t have the personality or leadership. Ryans has a solid personality and leadership capability. 

I maen Saleh has had one year with a disaster franchise, bit early to say he fizzled. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Center? You don't think James played well especially as the season progressed?

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I honestly can’t tell if you’re being serious, or just joking with me. Andre James is absolutely horrific. 

James improved enough throughout the season to be the guy next year. He moves well and makes blocks on the second level, look at the 3rd and 23 when he blocks Derwin James 20 yards downfield. He’s a little light in the *** but he will get stronger. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Don’t know about y’all but it feels like the Harbaugh train has left the station. 

I'm curious what happens after the Dodds interview. Harbaugh hasn't signed his Michigan deal yet, Michigan insiders are saying he's waiting for something (NFL related) but nobody knows what that something is. 

Also, someone pointed it out, not sure who. But Harbaugh is going to be the last guy we bring in the building. We interviewed Mayo today. Once you have Harbaugh in the building, good luck getting any other HC to think you're taking them seriously

• Like 1