The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, Geezy said:

James improved enough throughout the season to be the guy next year. He moves well and makes blocks on the second level, look at the 3rd and 23 when he blocks Derwin James 20 yards downfield. He’s a little light in the *** but he will get stronger. 

Making a grave mistake, again. I swear fans and front office of this organization love repeating the same mistakes over and over and over. It’s like watching that Tom Cruise movie I forget the name of, Edge of something. James will be awful next year. Bank on that. Was playing some meh DL’s to close out the year, and plenty of DL injuries. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I'm curious what happens after the Dodds interview. Harbaugh hasn't signed his Michigan deal yet, Michigan insiders are saying he's waiting for something (NFL related) but nobody knows what that something is. 

Also, someone pointed it out, not sure who. But Harbaugh is going to be the last guy we bring in the building. We interviewed Mayo today. Once you have Harbaugh in the building, good luck getting any other HC to think you're taking them seriously

Don’t think Harbaugh is a guy you bring in for an interview type of guy. He’s a guy that shows his interest. If the team has interest shows it back and you speak and the job is offered. No way he can let that out there that he has taken interviews with NFL teams. 

He hasn’t signed his extension but this snail pace does not favor Harbaugh coming. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Don’t think Harbaugh is a guy you bring in for an interview type of guy. He’s a guy that shows his interest. If the team has interest shows it back and you speak and the job is offered. No way he can let that out there that he has taken interviews with NFL teams. 

He hasn’t signed his extension but this snail pace does not favor Harbaugh coming. 

I agree with the last sentence.  I have this fear it'll be McDaniels.  🤮

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Making a grave mistake, again. I swear fans and front office of this organization love repeating the same mistakes over and over and over. It’s like watching that Tom Cruise movie I forget the name of, Edge of something. James will be awful next year. Bank on that. Was playing some meh DL’s to close out the year, and plenty of DL injuries. 

Yea, a young player who showed improvement throughout his first year of starting will not improve at all, because Mr. Talent Evaluator said so. Our entire IOL was first year starters they were going to take their lumps. The run game didn’t just improve because it wanted to, people had to make adjustments and plays. 

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Even if we’re not going to formally interview Harbaugh, we still need to interview two minority candidates prior to approaching him which doesn’t seem to have happened up to this point. I guess it’s a concern that if Mark was truly set on Harbaugh he’d have just gotten these other interviews out of the way early and made his approach for JH already.

There are two reasons that I’m still holding onto hope that it might happen:
- we’re prioritising the GM search just now and there may be an element of the GM interview in which Mark is checking what HC candidates each GM has in mind should they be hired.
- this is a more thorough search than last time and we’re trying to cover all our bases should Harbaugh change his mind and decide to stay.

It definitely seems like he hasn’t totally zoned in on Harbaugh like he did with Gruden, but he might just be testing the water this time first. If no other outstanding candidates jump out, you go get the proven guy. It doesn’t feel as likely that he’s our guy as it did this time last week, but while he’s still stalling on the Michigan extension and we’re being the usual slow Raiders there’s still a chance.

8 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Only caveat here is he knows Mark Davis well. So the traditional process can be thrown out. They could be playing this out a certain way. 

I think fans are putting way to much on the Dodds/Harbaugh connection out of desperation. They were on the same staff 20 years ago. Who knows if they have any relationship outside of that stint on the staff. 

• Like 1

One thing I am happy to see so far is the age of the two coaches the Raiders put request in for. Mayo(35) Ryans(37) supposedly interested in due to connecting the dots McDaniels(45) all young. 

My two cents is that this McDaniels thing is more realistic then I think most want it to be. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NickButera said:

I'm curious what happens after the Dodds interview. Harbaugh hasn't signed his Michigan deal yet, Michigan insiders are saying he's waiting for something (NFL related) but nobody knows what that something is. 

Also, someone pointed it out, not sure who. But Harbaugh is going to be the last guy we bring in the building. We interviewed Mayo today. Once you have Harbaugh in the building, good luck getting any other HC to think you're taking them seriously

That would’ve been me, common sense plus with the hiring of gruden. He tried to hire him before, anyone truly believe he won’t at least interview him? Personally I don’t. Lol

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

One thing I am happy to see so far is the age of the two coaches the Raiders put request in for. Mayo(35) Ryans(37) supposedly interested in due to connecting the dots McDaniels(45) all young. 

My two cents is that this McDaniels thing is more realistic then I think most want it to be. 

My thoughts exactly. I'm sick of these old "well they had success back when" coaches that we seem to go after. Give us the young minds that are succeeding in their current roles and let's see what they bring to the table.

Also agree about McDaniels. Not my favorite hire at all but as someone eluded to, I'm sure he's learned a lot since he last coached and hopefully that will turn out to be a benefit.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I honestly can’t tell if you’re being serious, or just joking with me. Andre James is absolutely horrific. 

You decide.

"Absolutely horrific" is certainly subjective.................

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

16 hours ago, Geezy said:

We will have to use Littleton, Kwit and Nassib as post June 1. Not entirely sure how it works. But if we cut them straight up, we’d save $8m. I know post June 1s, you get to spread that over two years, so I’m assuming we save another $12m by spreading that to ‘23. If that is right that would put us around $60m. With decisions to make on DC, Waller, Crosby, Renfrow and even Jacobs if we decide to 5th Year him. We can probably save some money by extending(or trading) DC and Waller while moving money to future years and adding guaranteed money. Overall, I don’t think the situation is dire but we’d def be in a lot better shape without those 3 terrible contracts. 

We can only have 2 June 1st cuts.  Using the June 1st cuts we would get $18 million cap relief and we would have $45 total.  I am not saying the team is going to be horrible but I am talking about improving.  I do not see how we can improve the roster next year therefore the only way to improve the overall team is to improve the coach.  I think the team takes a step back next year and we will not have as favorable circumstances with playing against backup players.  Ww could get a new GM that blows the draft out of the water but I am not betting on it.  The new coach would again have the biggest impact with bringing in quality FAs that fit their system the same way Bradley did last year.