The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

I wonder if there is method what Davis is doing. Interviewing coaches with no GM in place seems odd. One way to assure there things get off on the wrong track is the owner picking both the HC and GM and telling them to work together. He's smarter than that right?

I'm waiting for the tweet that says " Raiders hire X as their new HC, nobody in the building including new GM X knew he was being hired"

Would be on brand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I wonder if there is method what Davis is doing. Interviewing coaches with no GM in place seems odd. One way to assure there things get off on the wrong track is the owner picking both the HC and GM and telling them to work together. He's smarter than that right?

I'm waiting for the tweet that says " Raiders hire X as their new HC, nobody in the building including new GM X knew he was being hired"

Would be on brand.

HC first and GM second is some Jerry Jones level BS. I don’t mind Davis having final decision HC, especially if it’s a big name like Harbaugh that would require more of a ownership approach than GM approach, but the GM should still have input and like 49% decision value. If he says “no way” to Mark’s guy, then it’s a easy no. It should be a jointed decision and they both love the HC. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Serious interest in Bowels I just heard. Ehhh. I have zero doubts he’d build a great defense. I just don’t trust him hiring an OC and managing the overall offense. His offensive situation on the Jets was laughable, and he did absolutely zero about it year after yesr after year. 

Yeah I would be disappointed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would be on brand.

I have no problem with an owner talking to head coach candidates to use as sort of a toll to meet with them, get a feel, see which guy he likes most, the pros and cons of each candidate, etc and then use that as kind of a barometer as to how much he likes the GMs vision. That actually to me seems like it could be kind of smart. 

But you absolutely can't hire the coach and then a GM and just force the marriage onto one another. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Re:  Harbaugh and why the Bears haven’t interviewed him

For those not familiar, Da Bears Blog claims to have a source either in or very close to Bears ownership.  He has been spot on with announcing HC and GM candidates prior to any official announcements or any beat writers have reported them.

I have no issues with Mark doing HC interviews cause they interview twice. So mark doing the initial interview is fine and a GM with Mark will do the second interview. I’m sure during the GM interviews mark goes over the list of HC candidates. Vikings and Giants all did HC interviews with no GM in place. If second round of interviews started coming around then that’s a concern but a GM should be hired within a week I would assume and they will be apart of the important part 

I think I read somewhere that MD didn’t like the Dennis Allen hiring, he might just want to get a feel for the candidates, like an initial interview. Either way, I have 0 issues with him doing the first round of HC interviews. I’m starting to think the Harbaugh thing probably won’t happen, my next favorite candidate is Demeco Ryans. I feel he can have that Vrabel type effect being relatable to the players. It would be an added benefit if he could bring some of the 49ers staff with him, mainly on the offensive side.

• Like 1

Harbaugh is my favorite but I would really like a Ed Dodds/Ryan’s duo. Would give you the classic GM with the power and control and HC just coaching. Which I think Dodds would probably prefer. 

Post above make a great point on the possibility of Ryan’s bringing in some offensive guys from the 49ers. I would have to dig into what they actually have left aside from Mike McDaniels which he won’t leave. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would be on brand.

How smart could someone be with that ridiculous haircut?