Gruden resigns...how's that for timing ??

Cutler06

This could go one of two ways. 

One, it could be a total distraction and mess that completely derails their season and makes Sunday an easy win for us.

Or two, it could galvanize the locker room and lead the team to understand the only way to move beyond the distraction is to win on the road against an archrival. 

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This could go one of two ways. 

One, it could be a total distraction and mess that completely derails their season and makes Sunday an easy win for us.

Or two, it could galvanize the locker room and lead the team to understand the only way to move beyond the distraction is to win on the road against an archrival. 

Welcome, Captain Obvious 😁

• Like 1

Don't think it affects us much for this week prep-wise for the Raiders - because they already know our weaknesses, and how to beat us.    They'll miss Gruden's ability to game-plan for the week with other opponents, but I don't think it matters nearly as much for us. 

Long-term, this is a good thing for them - Davis likely gets out of that 10-year contract (which was fully guaranteed without a resignation, wouldn't be surprised to hear they agreed to a severance package to make this go away ASAP).   More importantly, GM Mayock had to get Gruden to sign off on their draft picks - Gruden's very much a big part of their draft struggles.   Mayock may not be any better - but he literally can't be worse than the Gruden/Mayock combo as GM.   Clelin Ferrell at 1.4, so many failed DB's, and taking Ruggs ahead of Jeudy/Lamb/Jefferson - the list goes on.

Looking ahead to this week, I don't think it's an issue - teams often have the post-firing bounce and pickup in play the next week.  And they know us well.   After our game, though - will be interesting to see how they cope. 

On that note, @lomaxgrUK & I are done - someone else can start this week's GDT - should be LOTS to talk about now, there was already lots to talk about b4 this went down lol. 

Edited by Broncofan

I didn't need these emails to despise Gruden. I've always disliked his demeanour. There is nothing worse than a Coach acting like he's the reason a team has played well, rather than the putting it all on the players.

"Players win 'em, Coaches lose 'em" - Bill Belichick. 

That and the fact he's like 5ft 3, 9 stone and he acts like he could actually play the tough guy amongst NFL players. I was truly STUNNED when it turns out he was emailing people his distaste for reducing concussions 😒

Hate him, man. Good riddance. 

Have the actual emails been leaked/released yet? Aside from the lips comment, I haven’t heard what the correspondence actually said and would def be curious to read it. 100% not trying to stir up political debate. But it’s interesting that the NFL’s first openly gay (active) player felt comfortable coming out on that team if Gruden was such an intolerant guy. Might be a case of acting one way around the players, but behaving completely different behind closed doors. 

3 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Have the actual emails been leaked/released yet? Aside from the lips comment, I haven’t heard what the correspondence actually said and would def be curious to read it. 100% not trying to stir up political debate. But it’s interesting that the NFL’s first openly gay (active) player felt comfortable coming out on that team if Gruden was such an intolerant guy. Might be a case of acting one way around the players, but behaving completely different behind closed doors. 

The NYT is behind a paywall - but they're not pretty.   And worse, it wasn't just 12 years ago (which I'd have a problem with if it was only that far back) - but apparently they date from 2009 to 2018.  The real kicker - the league's had the emails since last year's WFT investigation.   That speaks volumes how much lip service the NFL pays to these kind of issues - they only act once it's public, not before. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...