NFL announced 3 finalist cities for a regular season game in Germany

Earlier this year the head of the NFL in Europe and UK, Brett Gosper announced on german television, that the NFL is looking into playing a regular season game in Germany as soon as 2022. At the latest they want to play a game in 2023.

Now the first step has been taken.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, Germany has a rich history with the NFL Europe and an increasing NFL fanbase. This year the Super Bowl was watched by 2,11 million people in the middle of the night.

I personally think, that Munich will have the best chances to get the game. Frankfurt probably has the richest football history. Dusseldorf also has a rich history, but Frankfurt is the more popular city for football and ofc they are offering potentially the best infrastructure of all cities in Germany. Of those 3 cities Munich has by far the biggest stadium and the most modern one as well and ofc a game 1 week prior or after the Oktoberfest could offer the best marketing value. I have to guess, that it's going to be a toss-up between Frankfurt and Munich and i'm slightly giving the edge to Munich.

Of course I'm surprised, that Berlin didn't make it. Potentially the senate of Berlin decided to not apply for the game as Sky mentioned.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

To each their own, but I really didn't enjoy Frankfurt when I went.

The airport is absolutely huge and (like everywhere in Germany) the public transport infrastructure is great. I just didn't enjoy the bars/pubs/restaurants and as an Englishman, that is EVERYTHING to me :) 

Hopefully Munich gets it. What an unbelievable City that is.

Knowing nothing about Germany, it can't be Dusseldorf because that sounds like an insult not a name of a city.

FRANK-FURT is easy and fun for Americans to say, but I doubt that plays into their decision making process very much.

But Munich is obviously the best choice, for reasons I don't know. It just is.

Lived in Germany for 6 years.  I’m not an expert but have been to all 3 Cities.

Munchen about a half dozen times for Oktoberfest and the Hoffbrau House, Düsseldorf for a NIN concert, and then I don’t know how many times around Frankfurt (15-20x).  

The NFL will probably award Frankfurt the game due to massive infrastructure and it being an International hub.  

Any of the three are fine for a tourist.   Munchen is beautiful, though. 

• Like 1

If we're talking about living or sightseeing, than Munich is one of the top cities in Germany, edging out the other two. So if they view the sightseeing aspect as a big one, than Munich is the favourite.

Like i said i think Munich has (slightly) the best chances. There are many things going for them. 20k more seats than the other 2 cities, the modern stadium (although Frankfurt will get theirs renewed and once done they probably even edge out Munich in that regard) and ofc sightseeing (potentially adding the Oktoberfest within 1 or 2 weeks of the game). Another bonus of Munich is the TV station. In Germany the NFL airs on Pro7/Sat1 media group, which operates from Munich.

At this point i think Frankfurt is the main rival for Munich. Frankfurt's biggest asset is their infrastructure. It has by far the biggest airport in Germany, i think the only one offering direct flights from Germany to the US, so probably the easiest way to get in and out of Germany. And ofc Frankfurt has the biggest football history in Germany. At the end of the NFL Europe the Frankfurt Galaxy drew by far the biggest attendance numbers of all teams with an average of around 33k people per game during the last season. Munich didn't even had a NFL Europe team. Frankfurt is also the closest of those cities to the Ramstein Air Base, the place the US military is operating from.

Edited by Edge
1 hour ago, Dome said:

Knowing nothing about Germany, it can't be Dusseldorf because that sounds like an insult not a name of a city.

FRANK-FURT is easy and fun for Americans to say, but I doubt that plays into their decision making process very much.

But Munich is obviously the best choice, for reasons I don't know. It just is.

Tell me you’re American without telling me you’re American.

• Like 2