New World

AkronsWitness

Figured I would create a thread for this game for those who play and others who have questions since its one of the most played games in the world right now.

For whose who play, what do you like and what dont you like so far? What build are you running?

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Never heard of it.  What is it? 

Amazon came out with a MMO. A lot of people equate it to a new version of Runescape. Its set in the 17th century in the 'Age of Exploration' where you join one of 4 factions and fight other factions PvP for control over territories. There is also PvE where you do hundreds of side missions, the main story, ect to level up your player with new abilities.

You receive XP, weapons, armor that can be tiered up and upgraded from doing the missions. There is also a heavy part of the game in your factions 'settlements' (home bases) where you can learn/level up different crafting skills based on harvesting in the open world. The more you level up your crafting skills the more things you can make to upgrade your player.

Its really fun so far. Definitely a 'grind' type of game because not only are you doing the story/missions but you are also harvesting and gathering anything you see valuable along the way to bring back to your settlement and craft with.

Ive never played Runescape but the one game I thought of immediately when playing is a new, 2021, 3rd person, WAY more in depth version of the old Age of Empire games

Edited by AkronsWitness

13 hours ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

I  got it on Saturday. Overall having a good time with it. I've never played an MMO but  so far its fun. I like questing with friends. Really like the fact you can level up any of the weapons and not be stuck with a certain build/class. 

Yeah the crafting is the part that is driving me crazy lol Trying to figure out what combination of everything works best is the fun part.

What build do you run with?

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah the crafting is the part that is driving me crazy lol Trying to figure out what combination of everything works best is the fun part.

What build do you run with?

I keep switching from a strength intelligence build to a straight strength. As of now I'm sword and shield, and Hammer build. What about you 

52 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

I keep switching from a strength intelligence build to a straight strength. As of now I'm sword and shield, and Hammer build. What about you 

Im a Tank/DPS build, all Strength and Constitution with a War Hammer/Hatchet combo and heavy armor.

Its a fun build, it just gets old after a while being the guy all of the bosses go after just standing there and taking hits. Im also extremely slow and cant dodge anything so I get wrecked by high tier bosses.

This game has intrigued me for several reason.  Not the least of which is the backer is a multi billion dollar company, so I assume they will make it work either with patches or additions.  Having played MMO's in the past, the part that is putting me off a bit is the no class part and lack of diversity of races.  It just seems like there would be cookie cutter versions of my character running all over the place.  I somewhat feel that way about ESO because of the lack of variety of classes.   Does this game feel like that?

Also heard that travel is a pain in the A$$, having to walk everywhere with no mounts.

On 10/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, Flatlyner said:

This game has intrigued me for several reason.  Not the least of which is the backer is a multi billion dollar company, so I assume they will make it work either with patches or additions.  Having played MMO's in the past, the part that is putting me off a bit is the no class part and lack of diversity of races.  It just seems like there would be cookie cutter versions of my character running all over the place.  I somewhat feel that way about ESO because of the lack of variety of classes.   Does this game feel like that?

Also heard that travel is a pain in the A$$, having to walk everywhere with no mounts.

Few questions for you:

1) What do you mean by no classes? Do you mean weapon classes? You can build whatever class you want to be. Tank, Healer, DPS, ect. It's just built through leveling your player up to spend attribute points that you can respec at anytime.

2) Agree with the races part. They have factions which just are basically just color attributes to show what party you belong to and go to war against. Are you saying you want something definitive that defines each faction like LOTR with elves, dwarfs, ect? That would be cool, but the time period and setting of the game isnt that style. This game is much more like a 3rd person Age of Empires than it is some sci-fi fiction based game.

3) The travel part is not true. You can basically teleport anywhere you want without running. However it costs Azoth to do this, which you earn by completing missions, killing enemies and doing the story. If you never do the quests and just farm all day long you won't have any azoth to fast travel OR you have azoth and blow through it by always fast traveling and never conserving it for what you really need it. You can also fast travel to your home settlement once per hour for free from wherever your at.

I like this mechanic. It adds another wrinkle into the game and something to think about when going out for quests and/or farming. If you could just fast travel anywhere you wanted at all times and never had to run from settlement to settlement, the game would feel a little hollow. Having zero Azoth and having to run also gives you the chance to harvest, mine and hunt along the way to gain XP and boost your abilities.

IMO the whole 'no travel' thing is the most overblown part of the game. It's the games style, you can't just teleport wherever you want at any time, they make you earn the ability to teleport/fast travel

Edited by AkronsWitness

@AkronsWitness

1- As for this, I just mean you are not choosing your class at the beginning, so I guess I could see how some people might like this way of spec'ing also though.  I'm not sure I've ever played a MMORPG that you don't choose your class at creation, so its definitely different to me.  

That said, is there much diversity in the game?  If every player could be everything at just a switch of a weapon, is there any uniqueness? 

Ok, travel sounds better then how its depicted on line.  

One other big complaint I see alot is the diversity of the mobs, or rather, lack of diversity.  That is somewhat disappointing, but, I could see that added later in game.

49 minutes ago, Flatlyner said:

@AkronsWitness

1- As for this, I just mean you are not choosing your class at the beginning, so I guess I could see how some people might like this way of spec'ing also though.  I'm not sure I've ever played a MMORPG that you don't choose your class at creation, so its definitely different to me.  

That said, is there much diversity in the game?  If every player could be everything at just a switch of a weapon, is there any uniqueness? 

Ok, travel sounds better then how its depicted on line.  

One other big complaint I see alot is the diversity of the mobs, or rather, lack of diversity.  That is somewhat disappointing, but, I could see that added later in game.

oooh okay. Yeah you are just a guy/girl at the beginning and you get weapons, armor, equippables by completing quests or killing monsters and its all random so finding weapons/armor/trinkets that compliment your own style is sort of difficult. You can either 1) Scrap unwanted gear for repair parts or 2) Work the trade market like its ebay lol

There is still uniqueness. Just because you can respec your player at anytime doesnt mean there isnt diversity. There isnt some 'meta' that everyone runs. Ive seen just as many healers as I have tanks as I have DPS, ect. Everyone likes different styles for different reasons so you still get a ton of diversity among players. Some people like sword/sheid, some like life staffs and healing, some like war hammers/hatchets for up close high damage. It all just depends what you like to use.

Yeah, there really is no diversity with factions. Each faction represents different colonies with different backstories, but so far all they are is just a color to separate teams and territories. There isnt really anything that makes one better than the other. Thats something I wish was different.

• Like 1