GDT - Week 6 - It's BBQ Time...

Hunter2_1

15 hours ago, Crimmage said:

and it's three main problems

Splendid post but you left off a fourth reason and that is the decision making on the offensive play calling/game planning. Whoever you attribute that to most is up for debate. Belichick seems to be the one who decides which guys are held out of games for their mistakes and when to punt or go for it, while McDaniels seems to be the one who overthinks way too often with personnel and situational ball. I'm not sure but it seems like both are equally responsible for the abundance of repeat timely penalties, wasted time outs, porous offensive line, and the egregious lack of enablement and trust in Mac to close out games or even just to outright takeover at times.

Edited by DoleINGout

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Splendid post but you left off a fourth reason and that is the decision making on the offensive play calling/game planning. Whoever you attribute that to most is up for debate. Belichick seems to be the one who decides which guys are held out of games for their mistakes and when to punt or go for it, while McDaniels seems to be the one who overthinks way too often with personnel and situational ball. I'm not sure but it seems like both are equally responsible for the abundance of repeat timely penalties, wasted time outs, porous offensive line, and the egregious lack of enablement and trust in Mac to close out games or even just to outright takeover at times.

I don't like the play calling all the time either.. but as much as I am meh on McDaniels he is an above average OC in this league. My biggest issue with him is turning Jonnu into a blocking TE and giving the ball way too much to Bolden. Those two directly relate to a lack of trust / fear of turnovers. I get it.. turnovers kill teams, but you've got to give your best players second chances. I think that Josh's playcalling has improved the last few games as well. We aren't seeing so many Bolden screens / tosses .. he's still going to air on the side of being conservative and protecting Mac, but I think at this point it's entirely not trusting the OL. We will probably see an expanded number of plays for that Big formation just to try and keep Mac alive. Mac has played very well but I'm sure they are not happy with him averaging 1 INT a game, which is also part of why they will kneel down with 1 minute left in the half, they don't want him to throw a pick 6 and go into halftime down.

BB becoming the most conservative coach in the league last couple years just comes back to his lack of trust in the offense. Without Brady he didn't trust Cam in those situations last year and this year Mac is a rookie / the OL is mediocre so he is afraid of turnovers. I think all of his defensive gameplans have been good for the most part, he hasn't lost his touch.. but the defense hasn't been able to execute as well as we would hope for a few reasons: 

• JC Jackson is an elite #2 Corner.. he is not a top 5 #1 corner in the league though .. this will be an issue moving forward 
  • Jalen Mills has outperformed expectations.. good job coaching staff putting him in a position to succeed.. but he's playing too much and gets exposed at times. He is a great 3rd corner / safety.. and could maybe even turn into a starting safety long term if he continues to improve. Good 
  • LET UCHE PLAY .. let him get his lumps while being a great pass rusher.. Hightower / Bentley / Collins/ etc. could be gone after this year.. you need this guy to be ready to take a major role next season 
  • DL has been underwhelming .. Wise has done better than I thought.. Guy up and down.. Barmore AMAZING .. Godchaux has been underwhelming overall

I have bigger issues with GM BB than coach BB.. because my question for anyone complaining about McDaniels / BB is who are you replacing them with? Most coaches in the league are much much worse. 

• I am very worried about the Secondary .. McCourty getting older.. no corners help..etc. My bigger issue with BB has been that he didn't have this defense better prepared for Gilmore leaving. They don't have cap space next year and need to spend draft picks on OL.. so when are you going to get the Corners and Safeties you need to replenish the secondary? He is forcing his own hand into franchising Jackson / Paying him more than he is worth 
  • Judon is an amazing signing and I'll give credit there
  • Barmore great draft pick I'll give credit there too 
  • This defense needs 1 "elite" corner and 1 "elite" safety to be a great defense.. and right now I don't see where those players are going to come from given the lack of cap space and needs on the OL for the 1st round pick. This is a situation where you'd have hoped that the team would blow it up last year.. get 2-3 extra picks and be able to load up through the draft again.. but BB the GM doesn't want to make BB the coach lose.. even if it is in the best interest of the team long term

I give credit to the coaching staff for cleaning up the penalty issues, so I see that as a sign of progress. With so many new players on the team I can understand it taking some time to clean up those issues when many other teams aren't as disciplined. 

The same can be said for the special teams.. Slater and Bethel have been awesome as always.. but the new guys have struggled ( like the LB from Detroit who let up the Punt Block). These are areas that hopefully are resolved shortly.. under no circumstances is it acceptable to have 2 punt blocks in a season. I'm likely being too soft on this coaching staff but I feel like I am seeing improvement from game to game for the most part so I am more lenient. 

Sorry for the jumped rant, I think the coaching staff is doing alright and I'm not super worried about them. I'm more worried about the defense being old / depleted and next couple years being awful. If they want to win games they are probably better off investing in OL and 1 great weapon to give Mac on top of his current group to try and win on offense as he grows. It will take way too much development / money to create a long term elite defense, he can scheme them to stay in a game and win on offense assuming Mac continues to develop well

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, jofos said:

So the starting left tackle and the guy that should have been the playoff MVP in a Super Bowl run, he ran for 94 yards and the games only TD, or bust?

You know damn well what I was trying to say. So nit pick all you want.  So lets make this easy, were they worth a 1st RD pick, have they lived up to their draft status. It a yes / no answer.

On 10/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, m haynes said:

You know damn well what I was trying to say. So nit pick all you want.  So lets make this easy, were they worth a 1st RD pick, have they lived up to their draft status. It a yes / no answer.

Sony Michel isn’t, for me. People use the “he scored a TD in the Super Bowl” as evidence to the contrary, but the OL and (insert R4 running back, for example) get that done as well. For me, he’s been a bust considering he was a first round pick. You want a longer tenure and a more reliable player than Michel was

Wynn, the jury is still out for me. If he picks it up this season and puts together another season of overall decent LT play, then I’ll say it’s been a good pick. If he breaks once again though, or still torpedos this line like he has been, ill be edging toward bust column 

Harry is the most egregious though of recent years 

• Like 1