17 Game Season, Why not have the 17th game be an international game for everyone?

scar988

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'll do you one better, put in the extra bye week so everyone gets 2, and make every international game the Thursday Night Football game.  Kill three birds with one stone (completive advantage/disadvantage, Short week before Thursday Night Football, International games) 

Mexico City
London
Berlin
Paris
Moscow
Beijing
Tokyo
Seoul
Athens
Cairo
Toronto
Mumbai
Cape Town
Rio
Bueno Aires
Madrid

Thursday coming off the bye? I mean, that's basically no longer a bye in that case.... although you are getting one bye back. So that would be the compromise (basically 10 day cushion pre-post International match). I'm not sure if it's easier to sell overseas games on Thursday night vs a weekend. I don't think club soccer would conflict with Thursday games, but who knows what the Thursday traditions are in all these countries?

Edited by WheatieMan

14 hours ago, paul-mac said:

TNF international games are a non-starter outside of the Americas. You'd either be having them kickoff at 1am local time (in London/2am other European countries) or you'd be having Thursday "Night" Football played in the afternoon US time.

If the NFL truly wants to go international more, that is the compromise you'd have to make.  Weird US times.

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If the NFL truly wants to go international more, that is the compromise you'd have to make.  Weird US times.

Again, you can play Friday morning local in the Far East. But how many tickets could they sell in that position? In any event, I don’t see an issue with keeping games on Sunday morning. If you tip a game off in Tokyo at around 9 pm local time, it’s 8am ET. That’s not ideal either, but that’s the most extreme start time. Otherwise get a few games on Saturday morning for the Nickelodeon crowd, kicking off late Saturday night local.

Edited by WheatieMan

17 hours ago, paul-mac said:

TNF international games are a non-starter outside of the Americas. You'd either be having them kickoff at 1am local time (in London/2am other European countries) or you'd be having Thursday "Night" Football played in the afternoon US time.

Can't be a work night either, because we like to get absolutely mortal whilst watching our sport :D

I did propose the 17th game for each team be neutral-site, but having a few of those games take place in non-NFL stadiums in the US each year.

Even venues used primarily for auto or horse racing (except those in NFL markets) could be converted for use by the NFL, which could shatter attendance records. I proposed this based on the success of the Battle at Bristol in college football. One such game I had in mind was having the Ravens play at Churchill Downs in Louisville, marking the return of Lamar Jackson to the city where he played college football. The game would air on NBC, which also airs the Triple Crown.

Try four games a month

September 

Barcelona, Spain at Camp Nou

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil at Estadio de Maracana

Athens, Greece at Olympic Stadium 

Bayamón, Puerto Rico at Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium

October

London, England at Wembley Stadium: 

Dublin, Ireland at Croke Park: 

Cardiff, Wales at Millenium Stadium: 

Munich, Germany at Allianz Arena: 

November

Vancouver, Canada at BC Place: 

Amsterdam, Netherlands at Johan Cruyff Arena

Tokyo, Japan at Japan National Stadium

Glasgow, Scotland at Hampden Park

December

Montreal, Canada at Olympic Stadium:

Winnipeg, Canada at IG Field

Oslo, Norway at Ullevaal Stadion

Toronto, Canada at Rogers Centre:

19 hours ago, pf9 said:

I did propose the 17th game for each team be neutral-site, but having a few of those games take place in non-NFL stadiums in the US each year.

Even venues used primarily for auto or horse racing (except those in NFL markets) could be converted for use by the NFL, which could shatter attendance records. I proposed this based on the success of the Battle at Bristol in college football. One such game I had in mind was having the Ravens play at Churchill Downs in Louisville, marking the return of Lamar Jackson to the city where he played college football. The game would air on NBC, which also airs the Triple Crown.

While this is cool and all, the idea of having games in neutral site spots in the US would only work if they did some places like The Swamp in Florida or Bryant Denney in Alabama or the Rose Bowl in LA.