Jump to content

Week 6 GDT: Denver Broncos (3-2) vs Las Vegas Raiders (3-2)


Recommended Posts

This defense has no excuse to not perform better. But I was right. The linebackers are getting exposed. Not to mention Darby and Fuller are utter trash which was not expected. Was hoping they'd be slightly above your average starting CB.

 

as for the OL, completely poor play all around.

 

Going into the season I would've bet on our defense being top 5. They'll be lucky not to finish bottom 5.

Edited by BullsandBroncos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another week, another uninspired performance. This team is going nowhere fast. In past years they seemed inspired and ready to fight, this year I see none of that. Effort isn’t there, results clearly aren’t there. Especially defensively, which is supposed to be Fangio’s bread and butter. 
 

I think we’ll go into the Cleveland game, see what happens, and then probably make a change if the results are awful. No sense doing it on a short week. But Shurmur is beyond the pale terrible. It’s time to cut bait. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s so weird.

I mean, I thought we had such a good roster, we have so much talent and great depth if the staters get hurt. We have the best defensive mind in football. Our OL is finally coming into their own going into MM’s 3rd season. The young guys are only getting better. Teddy B is the kind of QB who might not win you games but won’t lose them; he was supposed to have Pro Bowl or even All Pro potential in this offense.

If only someone around here would have taken an honest assessment and pointed out the shortcomings of this roster, this coaching staff and this organization as a whole I wouldn’t be so disappointed right now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

This is just sad. The last few years I was cool with the losing records, the Broncos were limited talent wise. But now they have some talent and look too uninspired. I think you have to fire Fangio and Shurmer and the special teams coach and let Munch and Azzanni to try to inspire some folks. 

That would be quite the show to see

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s so weird.

I mean, I thought we had such a good roster, we have so much talent and great depth if the staters get hurt. We have the best defensive mind in football. Our OL is finally coming into their own going into MM’s 3rd season. The young guys are only getting better. Teddy B is the kind of QB who might not win you games but won’t lose them; he was supposed to have Pro Bowl or even All Pro potential in this offense.

If only someone around here would have taken an honest assessment and pointed out the shortcomings of this roster, this coaching staff and this organization as a whole I wouldn’t be so disappointed right now.  

2,912,077 times and counting.

By the way, Shurmer scrapped the offense that we'd been using in the 2nd quarter of the Ravens game. We're now a pass happy team, something we're not built for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a strange/ironic feeling to watch teams beating us by copying our formula from 2012-2015. There are two ways to win Superbowls in this league, and we used to be quite familiar with both of them:

Option A)  An all world QB. This makes up for a LOT of sins and shortcomings.

- or -

Option B) An all world defense: 

- A front four that can consistently pressure and punish a quarterback without relying on nonstop blitzes (see today's game with LV's D-line)

- A speed demon linebacker who can cover tight ends and running backs in the flat (we STILL haven't replaced Trevathan and it's STILL killing us)

-  Aggressive, hard hitting defensive backs who play angry (Jackson is the only one who plays with a chip on his shoulder. Outside of him, our current secondary is nothing like the no-fly zone boys were)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

2,912,077 times and counting.

By the way, Shurmer scrapped the offense that we'd been using in the 2nd quarter of the Ravens game. We're now a pass happy team, something we're not built for.

56 pass plays to 23 run plays.

You're right, we’re not that kind of a team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There really are so many places you could go with what disappoints me most, but I will just go with the stuff that has actually surprised me:

* Von Miller - invisible again and frankly, I questioned his effort at times in that game. Go watch the Carr rollout to Waller on the sideline, with Von 'pursuing'.

* Justin Simmons - stop getting cute with the disguise and do your job. Time after time the balls are going over your head. Couple missed tackles yesterday as well

* Run Defense - it's definitely surprised me how poor this has been the last 3 games. The Jewell injury and total lack of DL talent really showing up

* Defensive playcalling - people around here are smug about Fangio's playcalling now, but he's years of goodwill built up. He's a much better playcaller than this, but I think this is a classic example of a HC that calls plays being distracted by shortcomings across the team.

It's an obvious downside to calling your own plays.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: chunk plays I referenced before the game - Raiders had plays of 49, 25, 16, 33, 31, 29, 40 and 51 yards. That is just insnae.

RE: forcing 3rd and short I referenced before the game - in their 4 TD drives, the Raiders had TWO 3rd downs. TWO. That is just absolute domination.

One absolutely hilarious thing to add - has anyone else noticed how laughably pathetic those fake jet motions are? 😄 Every week we run them. It's been Hamler, Hinton, Moore and Boone running them and every time the fake is so comically bad.

Like, it's either a case of the player looking like a 5 year old at their Christmas show with how bad the acting is, or the fake itself is happening nowhere near the QB thus making it absolutely not believable whatsoever.

I cringe/laugh every time we do it. Honestly, it's so pathetic that you have to laugh.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the Tebow led Broncos were fun to watch, I mean a heart attack nearly every game, but damn those teams literally played hard to the very last minute. I'd rather have that then what we have now. At least Tebow game **** about playing. The only guy right now that I can see who is giving it his all is Javonte. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Denver will likely end up in the same no-mans land we continue to find ourselves in over and over again. It's just time to cut bait with this group of coaches, go out and find a new HC, staff, and QB and try this again. That's all there is to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

There really are so many places you could go with what disappoints me most, but I will just go with the stuff that has actually surprised me:

* Von Miller - invisible again and frankly, I questioned his effort at times in that game. Go watch the Carr rollout to Waller on the sideline, with Von 'pursuing'.

* Justin Simmons - stop getting cute with the disguise and do your job. Time after time the balls are going over your head. Couple missed tackles yesterday as well

* Run Defense - it's definitely surprised me how poor this has been the last 3 games. The Jewell injury and total lack of DL talent really showing up

* Defensive playcalling - people around here are smug about Fangio's playcalling now, but he's years of goodwill built up. He's a much better playcaller than this, but I think this is a classic example of a HC that calls plays being distracted by shortcomings across the team.

It's an obvious downside to calling your own plays.

 

I've not seen this lifeless of a performance by a Denver team in a long time. I was questioning what was up with Von Miller, so glad to see you comment on this. He went up against one of the worst RTs in the game and did nothing all day. 

Sutton's effort on that interception was also egregious. Seeing that, I wouldn't want the guy on my team. 

Fangio has got to go obviously. The players don't seem to be responding. He's making terrible calls and desperation challenges. It's really something to watch. 

He's hoping you guys can get it right.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangio has lost at Mile High by double digits 7 times in just over 2 years (19 home games total)

 

 

Mike Shanahan lost at home by double digits 6 times in 14 years (112 home games)

 

I just about got on board with bringing him back for a third season because there was clear progression from 2018 to 2019 and last year was terrible luck with injuries, but he needs to go. 
 

 

I think Shurmur might well get fired after TNF and Fangio needs to get another couple of wins by the bye to even last the season. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard a good stat on the radio call of the game yesterday. It was eye opening. Basically, over the last 80 or so games, the Broncos have scored 30+ points 10 times. TEN.

The Chiefs scored 30+ 41 times, and KC/LAC scored 30+ something like 23 and 24 times. 

Denver's focus on defense just isn't going to cut it. Period. Having a stout, capable defense is going to benefit you come playoff time but we're simply unable to put points on the board and in the modern NFL that's a recipe for disaster. The football is just vanilla and boring, has been for years, and it's because this team refuses to embrace modern NFL concepts that other teams are embracing and winning with.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...