20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Our midget
    • Their midget
    • Horny
    • Mike
    • We all lose

52 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Not at all. It's HIS JOB in that situation to pickup the INSIDE GAP player as we are in EMPTY there and don't have a guy to chip/pickup that inside blitzer.

This is 100% on Baker needing to slide that protection or hit the hot route there in the slot.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not at all. It's HIS JOB in that situation to pickup the INSIDE GAP player as we are in EMPTY there and don't have a guy to chip/pickup that inside blitzer.

This is 100% on Baker needing to slide that protection or hit the hot route there in the slot.

I mean, yes, but he managed to block no one at all, he just stood there and watched both dudes.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, yes, but he managed to block no one at all, he just stood there and watched both dudes.

I just watched it; I'll assume that Baker slid the protection and that Teller was correct and stepped to his right and Hudson was wrong.

Rookies...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Disregard this guy; he doesn't know what he's talking about. The protection was already slid that way, as the other 4 guys were probably not all wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

I just watched it; I'll assume that Baker slid the protection and that Teller was correct and stepped to his right and Hudson was wrong.

Rookies...

My older than time itself father used to tell me one of Paul Brown’s quotes was “for every rookie you start, tally a loss” (or something like that).

We really need at least one or the tackles back on Thursday.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Who is the more dangerous guy? The DE on the LOS or the LB who is blitzing from depth. I don’t know any OL coach who would tell you to ignore the DE to pick up the LB coming from depth. Now if that LB was showing on the line, that changes everything. I just can’t see Callahan having a pass blocking scheme in place that would leave a DE untouched. That screams break down on the OL/ RT in that instance. Seems like it should be man schemes on the tackles and zone scheme in side. From the looks of it, that LB we see is the only LB in the box. That should be the Guard and centers responsibility.

Edited by buno67

18 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Who is the more dangerous guy? The DE on the LOS or the LB who is blitzing from depth. I don’t know any OL coach who would tell you to ignore the DE to pick up the LB coming from depth. Now if that LB was showing on the line, that changes everything.

Aside from the fact that I said above to ignore me, it has everything to do with a gap vs. slide protection. If they're all stepping to a side, the inside gap is deemed the most dangerous, especially out of empty as you have no one to pick up the blitz, and basic geometry says the fastest way in any direction is a straight line. But, this wasn't slide protection, so it's irrelevant.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Aside from the fact that I said above to ignore me, it has everything to do with a gap vs. slide protection. If they're all stepping to a side, the inside gap is deemed the most dangerous, especially out of empty as you have no one to pick up the blitz, and basic geometry says the fastest way in any direction is a straight line. But, this wasn't slide protection, so it's irrelevant.

Totally agree.  Who is going to be a faster straight line the DE who is already closer or the LB who is blitzing from depth. You just never leave a down lineman like that unless that LB is right on the line.

in the end the concept doesn’t mean crap when the RT is way lazy late off the ball like that 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Totally agree.  Who is going to be a faster straight line the DE who is already closer or the LB who is blitzing from depth. You just never leave a down lineman like that unless that LB is right on the line.

in the end the concept doesn’t mean crap when the RT is way lazy late off the ball like that 

You asked WHEN is that the case. I gave you an answer...slide protection:

https://www.samfleener.com/football/offense-fundamentals/offensive-line/pass-protection

"Even slide protection they have inside out responsibility." Who'd have thought...?

Zone or Slide Protection

Zone protections are a simpler form of pass protection. Rather than having blockers pick up combinations of defenders, blockers will simply block a gap or zone. This removes much of the complexity of most man schemes. Slide protections are almost always a minimum of a 6 man protection. It is important for linemen to be disciplined and keep their heads up. Even slide protection they have inside out responsibility. If a linemen steps to an empty gap or is uncovered, they can look to help inside if no LB shows.

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

You asked WHEN is that the case. I gave you an answer...slide protection:

https://www.samfleener.com/football/offense-fundamentals/offensive-line/pass-protection

"Even slide protection they have inside out responsibility." Who'd have thought...?

Still doesn’t answer the question of who picks up the backside DE when their is no TE or RB. You can’t just leave a DE like that completely unaccounted. also in the browns case they are only showing 5 guys, so the backside should already be Keying on the backside DE.

I love you simple break down of slide protection but let’s get more detailed

http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/slidePROTECTION.pdf

there are multiple responsibilities for what the back side tackle would be doing in the slide. Just about every variation shows their is a concept to block that backside DE with two man games with the backside tackle and TE or backside tackle of the RB. In the end you would never leave a DE unaccounted for. If that LB walks down their should be indicators because scheme change or be altered. You never leave a DL unaccounted unless he is the read man to an RPO

ME: Disregard what I said, it wasn't slide protection because they don't have anyone in the backfield to pick up the last man on the line of scrimmage

BUNO: Yeah well you're wrong because they don't have anyone in the backfield to pick up the last man on the line of scrimmage