2021 Week Six GDT Steelers vs. Seahawks

Do the Steelers Win Two in a Row?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins Sunday? Steelers or Seahawks

• Yes, They win again at home!
    • No, No Russell, no matter! Seahawks trip up Steelers

My two cents -

I think Colbert and Tomlin will be aggressive in pursuing a vet QB this off-season. No NFL “insider” is more on point than Jay Glazer and he has now reported we will look for a vet and also has now at least connected the dots between Rodgers and the Steelers. Colin Cowherd who isn’t as connected but still has sources thinks we are the clear favorite to land him.

I think it’s very likely both Russ and Rodgers will be available and if Rodgers wants to play here (sure seems like it from everything that’s transpired the past couple weeks), then why the hell wouldn’t we throw a couple draft picks to get him? 2022 and 2023 first plus maybe a 2023 third should get it done and we should still have enough draft capital and cap space to sure up the o-line and CB to replace Haden.

Colbert has become more and more aggressive the past few years and they obviously want to get a ring while we have this defense. As @Dcash4 said, there’s no real precedent set, we’ve never really been in this situation before. You really think Colbert wants to stick around and let Mason Rudolph, Teddy B, Andy Dalton etc. try and get us to the playoffs? I clearly don’t think they want to go the rookie route either.

Think about it, if you swap Ben for Rodgers right this second we probably have the 2nd best odds to win the super bowl behind Tom and the Bucs. Again, if he wants to come here WHY NOT make it happen for those kind of odds at another ring? And if you’re Rodgers WHY NOT come to Pittsburgh? He clearly likes the city, the coach, and he would be following the same formula as Brady by coming to a team with a great defense and weapons. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Ideally Dwayne Haskins becomes a stud and we don't have to worry about any of this 🤣

Yeah. right 😁

Again, draft Oline/CB/safety in this draft and pick up a decent developmental QB in the 5th+

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Yeah. right 😁

Again, draft Oline/CB/safety in this draft and pick up a decent developmental QB in the 5th+

Only 2 problems with this...

A)Hit rate on QBs past 2nd is terrible 

B)I don’t trust them drafting secondary players...I know they can’t fix everything in FA but at least 1 of CB/S should be addressed in FA.

Not giving you crap because it’s a viable scenario but just stating some things.

51 minutes ago, AFF said:

B)I don’t trust them drafting secondary players...I know they can’t fix everything in FA but at least 1 of CB/S should be addressed in FA.

Not giving you crap because it’s a viable scenario but just stating some things.

What do you mean we can't scout and access the secondary!? We just traded a 5th for a CB who has...played.....4.....snaps... ohh, I see.....

Agreed with the QB part. Even in the 1st round its a less than 50% success rate, but after -- especially in the middle to late rounds -- is like throwing a dart from 100 yards away from the target. You're just lucky if you even hit the board in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Yeah. right 😁

Those Jim Miller, Tee Martin, and Dennis Dixon types didn't work.  Getting another guy who would need to ideally sit and develop for two or three years with a limited ceiling is not the answer in my humble opinion. I think you need a franchise QB. Period.

I get that you are wise to draft that type of QB as soon as you can because they don't come around every year. If not there, I agree, that you get weapons for when they come around the next year or two (OL, TE, WR, RB, etc.,). 

I disagree with this thinking because: We already have two "developmental type guys" on the roster that would have a higher draft grade than anyone else in the next draft in round four or five. Mason and Haskins both had first round draft grades.  We already have the Andy Dalton type (game manager) in Mason. I think Andy has a higher pedigree based on his career experience as a starter, but at this stage of his career is a stopgap type of back-up for a few games. I think Mason is certainly in the same classroom, maybe not at the head of the Andy Dalton classroom, but....

I am not as pessimistic with Haskins development/potential as many others. Next year would be way too early to give him the keys to the offense, but if he could learn and develop in the system for another year? Who knows?  He is mobile, has an arm, could do RPO, take snaps under center, and has some mobility. He is certainly not the franchise QB and I don't see his ceiling as being that, but he could be a "a poor man's" Josh Allen type. until that franchise QB could be found or the draft capitol is there to move up and get.

37 minutes ago, AFF said:

Agree 100%. You can find them, but there are not a lot who develop into Russell Wilson (and he was a third round pick). 

Not a good record, but some has also been because of where they drafted. A lot of the quality guys at CB are gone by the time the Steelers were picking in the mid 20's and down typically.  They will have some money to spend, so I suspect that they will go after one or two marquee players.

I have a very high amount of respect for Jebrick and his football acumen. But I disagree with this approach as well. I am typically one who marches to the beat of a different drum so to speak on a lot of topics. I look at the two losses in the SB and it was Troy Aikman over Neil O'Donnell and in the case of Big Ben and A-A-Ron it was two HOF'ers, but one is probably on of the all time best and a league MVP (A-A-Ron). There are always exceptions, but typically the team with the better franchise QB wins more and or gets to play for the SB.  It is a different era of football and now I think you need that great QB to lead your team. 

anything less should be a stop-gap until you can get there.

There are no franchise QBs in this draft that aren't going to be developed.  There are a bunch of QBs with a lot of promise.   Wish they had more picks but it is what it is.

I really would roll the dice on Cole Kelly. If all the Qbs are going to need some development take one with less risk ( meaning lower pick)  I think Kelly will be lower because of where he plays but he won the Walter Payton award last year and is looking good now.  Perhaps he goes in the 3rd.

• Like 2

You and a few others are saying the same thing about the quality of QB in this upcoming draft class. I definitely defer to your judgment on the draft class as I do not study it as I did years ago. If there is no future stud QB in 2022, then:

1. Look to pay a quality veteran and trade players or draft capitol (Wilson, A-A-Ron, De Shaun)

2. Find the short term stop gap (Which we have in Mason already). 

3. Stockpile draft capitol to move up for the following year.

4. Draft the complimentary pieces to have in place (I.E. They have Najee at RB, Freiermuth at TE, Claypool & Dionte at WR) Go get a franchise LT, OL, or the pieces needed to complete the defense) until you can find that player.

I just don't want to see another fifth or sixth round QB taking a roster spot and they will never be more than a 3rd or 4th string camp roster QB. 

Lot of the season remains. Step 1, beat the Seahawks to get to 3-3. I am not certain the Steelers will beat the Seahawks, so that is a big step to me. 

Step 2 - n, continue to get better individually and as a team. It seems like cliche BS, but starting with the O line, if they can get better every week then there is potential for a good season. Of course, Ben has to get better too. A lot better. He is still missing throws, and he was fortunate with a few drops by Denver's D that could have been picked off.

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

It would be borderline moronic not to if the opportunity presented itself.

For Wilson...fair enough...even though a pourous OL in Seattle has hurt him for years.

Anyone who would give up two firsts for Rodgers needs to get their heads examined, for numerous reasons.   People look at Brady and assume that QBs playing into their mid 40s is going to be the new normal.   Its not.  Rodgers will be 39 next December.   Its silly to even entertain the idea of giving up that much....especially since our first next year will likely be top 15.  

Most Id pay for Rodgers is a 2nd next year and a conditional 2nd upgradable to a 1st in 2023 IF the Steelers make the AFC Championship game with Rodgers playing at least 10 games.

Some team will likely give up more.   I can guarantee it wont be us.

Steeler fans can delude themselves into believing we have a good chance at Rodgers or Wilson being our QB next year.   We dont.   Not impossible, but sub 10% chances.

Much much much more likely we have a guy like Garrapolo, Derek Carr or Jacoby Brissett is our QB.

Not trying to whiz on anyone's cornflakes, but lets be real.

• Like 1