Has The Bears Offense Finally Found It's Idenity?

soulman

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Right here is the problem with keeping Nagy if we want to get the best out of Fields...

Week 3

Designed runs called 29%

Play action 27%

Under centre 7%

Week 4+5

Designed runs called 64%

Play action 34%

Under centre 56%

Nagy's entire ethos as a coach is completely different to what Lazor has working for us...I find it really hard to believe any offence can have a true identity when that identity is the exact opposite of the head coach.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out over the rest of the season.  Does Nagy want to succeed or only succeed in the way he would like to see it done because you can't be much more contrary than this.

Since it's unlikely we'll be able to run as easily against the next four opponents it'll be interesting to see what they can dial up in the way of a passing game.  To win Fields is gonna have to throw more often.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Damien Williams is on the covid list now.. So we'll see how our "identity" holds up this weekend with only one running back. 

I want us to sign Adrian Peterson. 

Having a Vikings fan for an aunt might play a factor... I know he is pretty much done for, its more of a spite thing than me being a meat-head.

Plus I cant think of any other RBs but Bell, Gurley, and Foreman that are available. Might be worth poaching a power runner from another PS. 

31 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I want us to sign Adrian Peterson. 

Having a Vikings fan for an aunt might play a factor... I know he is pretty much done for, its more of a spite thing than a meat-head.

Plus I cant think of any other RBs but Bell, Gurley, and Foreman that are available. Might be worth poaching a power runner from another PS. 

I actually think we should go the other way...Herbert can be that power guy...he is short but really bulky and tough...I would go for a guy who can help us in space and in the passing game...Duke Johnson was the first guy that came to my mind.

55 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I actually think we should go the other way...Herbert can be that power guy...he is short but really bulky and tough...I would go for a guy who can help us in space and in the passing game...Duke Johnson was the first guy that came to my mind.

I completely forgot about Johnson. 

Regardless there's no one on the street that should come in and take the bulk of the carries. Herbert should get that and just let him have a game as the bellcow. Williams will be back before long and then Monty will be a few weeks too. Anyone they bring in, I just hope there is one thing they do well - be it power, receiving, or whatever. 

I've gone through every play of the Detroit game and partially raiders on GP so far (both pass and run) and I still don't see an identity. Not one that is sustainable anyways. What I see is Nagy still trying to make the Browns game look more like an anomaly by using a alot of max protect and relying too heavily on the run game because he doesn't trust his OL without help--not that I blame him.

I mean, it's good to have a run game and we do have solid depth that is being utilized and they are winning. All of this is good. No doubt. But they better be winning with 7 to 8 blockers up front on damn near ever play too. That's to be expected. The problem, however, is that you can't keep winning games this way. Not in today's era. Eventually DC's are going key in on this and your gonna have to pass the ball and passing the ball with max protect may put your OL at an advantage upfront (7 or 8 vs 4 or 5) but it's also putting the WR/TEs at a major disadvantage in the backfield (2 or 3 vs 6 or 7) and making it harder for them to get open.

To make matters worse, they are still having trouble even when they are in favorable matchups (sometimes 8 vs 4 - no exaggeration needed) which should NEVER happen. This only further hurts the trust between the QB and his OL. And the longer it goes on, the worse it'll be for Fields. Especially for someone like Fields who is standing in the pocket much longer than he should and is trying to trust his OL (for better or worse) and is taking still taking way too many hits. Eventually he's gonna lose that trust though at this rate.  And that's when we usually start to see those panic tendencies start to happen with QBs; errant throws off the back foot or panic throws on the run to avoid a sack.

Graham was okay last year in blocking but he has been atrocious this year and they keep using him in these heavy sets. But at the same time I don't know who else would be a better alternative at this point. We need Kmet, Holtz hasn't done much better (even as a lead blocker), and James is garbage.

Kmet and Whitehair have been the best blockers between OL and TE positions combined so far.

I'm not really sure how to fix this until our OL can start winning those 5 on 5 battles and give Fields enough time to scan the field and for the WR/TEs enough time to finish their routes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

If Williams is asymptomatic and has a negative test tomorrow and Saturday, he should be good to go.

That being said... I'm good with an 80/20 split between Herbert and Nall.

Same. I like what I've seen from Herbert so far and I actually think he's an upgrade from Williams to be honest. Nall is a downgrade from Williams but as long as Herbert is taking most snaps like you suggested then i'm fine with Nall as a short yardage spell back.

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Being a spelling nazi was the best contribuxon you could add to the conversaxon? Do better.

BTW, you're supposed to start a sentence or question with capitalization.

dude, its a joke on a sports forum on the internet. i had no idea that the son of elon musk was such a killjoy, JAF-N72EX-Æ A-12

As much as Lazor has brought some stability, balance & sense to this offence we are still dead last in the league in yards per play averaging 4.2 yards...even last year we averaged 5.1 yards per play...this year the league led is currently the Rams at 6.7 yards per play...league average is 5.7 yards per play...being 1.5 yards per play behind the average on every play shows you just how much this offence must improve and to me the only way to do that is the bring in a coach who really has a clear vision that fits Fields' skill set.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soulman said:

How does it look if you wipe out the Cleveland game?  As ill prepared as we were for that game just call it basically a forfeit.

I'm more interested in the last three games and the trend line.  It should be rising.

Cleveland would be included in the last three games...removing that Cleveland game we still only jump up to 4.7 yards per play for the season...we have only been over 5 yards per play in one game this year which was the Lions...we were at 3.4 yards per game against the Bengals...1.1 against the Browns...that can not continue with the player talent we have on this team.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Cleveland would be included in the last three games...removing that Cleveland game we still only jump up to 4.7 yards per play for the season...we have only been over 5 yards per play in one game this year which was the Lions...we were at 3.4 yards per game against the Bengals...1.1 against the Browns...that can not continue with the player talent we have on this team.

The line's playing better. I have a sneaking suspicion that Fields will start playing better (if he's still alive, that is). 

We're five games in, changed playcallers after the third, have a lot of key injuries, and are patching all sorts of things together on the fly. Even though it greatly improves Nagy's chances of sticking around (a thing I don't want), I'd be shocked if the offense doesn't ramp it up. And soon-ish. 

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The line's playing better. I have a sneaking suspicion that Fields will start playing better (if he's still alive, that is). 

We're five games in, changed playcallers after the third, have a lot of key injuries, and are patching all sorts of things together on the fly. Even though it greatly improves Nagy's chances of sticking around (a thing I don't want), I'd be shocked if the offense doesn't ramp it up. And soon-ish. 

I'll be shocked if we aren't a bottom 10 offense. Either way though, if Fields is progressing I will be happy with the season. We don't need to go to the postseason just to play like trash for a 3rd time, unless that is the final nail in Nagy's coffin. 

• Like 1