It's Packer Week! Week 6 Gameday Thread

soulman

Packers haven't beat anyone good and the fan base thinks they are great, no more blown coverages and we have a chance. Regardless, it's a bit of a farewell tour game for Rodgers and Adams so we got that going for us. Let's see how they handle the rookie and vice versa.

Overall I don't like our chances here.

Rodgers has had our number his whole career and while I expect at least 4 sacks I think they get Adams against Vildor and Shelly, and that makes for a BIG game for him. Their defense is far from imposing but our offense is even further from scary too. Lets see if we are still really one dimensional or if we can pass the ball. If not it won't matter, we will still be behind come garbage time.

Packers win, 24-13

• Like 2

I don't know stats on GB's current defense, but under their old DC (who's now working for us) the Pack was in Nickel or Dime more than anyone in the NFL...... If they maintain that, we should be successful controlling the game running offensively.

That being said, Rodgers sadly ain't no chump, and he is going to get points if we give him even the slightest window, and even sometimes when we don't. Ideally our running game is absolutely shredding them and we control the entire game's tempo...... The wildcard is that if they stack the box, I don't have a ton of faith in our passing game getting anything done, and if they pull away by 2 scores (and thus know we are going to get more pass happy) they're going to dunk on us playing nickel/dime coverages all day doing the "Mitch Trubisky strategy" of forcing Fields to play QB.... and while I'm higher on Fields than I ever was on Mitch, I absolutely don't think either Fields or the WR corps are ready for a game that they have to be the feature, rather than the plucky sidekick to the running game.

I think this game ends up something like 24GB (3tds 1FG) 17 (2TD, 1FG), but it's not going to feel that close unless the defense scores or Fields hits a big explosive passing play. I also think Rodgers gets sacked at least thrice, and defense largely has a good day, but Rodgers gets an easy TD off a busted Bears coverage Conte style.

• Like 1

For us it is usually the same story against GB...if you can't keep up with the scoring you can't win...we know Rodgers will put up points...we are going to have to let Fields try to do more if we want to keep up...

Let me tell you a story...I have a friend who loves F1...he got the chance to go to silverstone and drive an F2 car on a track day...he got in it and immediately hated it because he felt so unsafe...he had no control over it...tyres were slippy...breaks didn't feel right...felt like it he wasn't even able to steer it properly through the corners...he pulled into the pit labe and said to the guy running that day that he felt he couldn't drive it...the guy says to him...your not going fast enough...he thought the guy was crazy until he explained...these machines are suppose to be driven right on the edge...it's how their built...you drive fast and you get more heat in the tyres which make them sticker...you drive fast and you create down force which means the car hunckers down and is forced into the road allowing you to go faster in the corners...the breaks work better because they expect that speed...the car overall reacts to your speed and confidence and it becomes much easier to drive...

Justin Fields is built the same as an F1 car...you have to at some point say get out of thinking about it and holding yourself back and just go play natural football at your full speed because he has been doing it for years...the only way we beat GB is letting Fields be himself out there...now it might go wrong...but what do you lose? The kid got beat up in Cleveland and came back from it with ease...throws two INTs and we lose the game?...kid will come back from it with ease...again how he is built...but by doing it we give ourselves a real chance to win and that is a risk we should be taking.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

For us it is usually the same story against GB...if you can't keep up with the scoring you can't win...we know Rodgers will put up points...we are going to have to let Fields try to do more if we want to keep up...

Let me tell you a story...I have a friend who loves F1...he got the chance to go to silverstone and drive an F2 car on a track day...he got in it and immediately hated it because he felt so unsafe...he had no control over it...tyres were slippy...breaks didn't feel right...felt like it he wasn't even able to steer it properly through the corners...he pulled into the pit labe and said to the guy running that day that he felt he couldn't drive it...the guy says to him...your not going fast enough...he thought the guy was crazy until he explained...these machines are suppose to be driven right on the edge...it's how their built...you drive fast and you get more heat in the tyres which make them sticker...you drive fast and you create down force which means the car hunckers down and is forced into the road allowing you to go faster in the corners...the breaks work better because they expect that speed...the car overall reacts to your speed and confidence and it becomes much easier to drive...

Justin Fields is built the same as an F1 car...you have to at some point say get out of thinking about it and holding yourself back and just go play natural football at your full speed because he has been doing it for years...the only way we beat GB is letting Fields be himself out there...now it might go wrong...but what do you lose? The kid got beat up in Cleveland and came back from it with ease...throws two INTs and we lose the game?...kid will come back from it with ease...again how he is built...but by doing it we give ourselves a real chance to win and that is a risk we should be taking.

I do love a good non-football analogy.   I also kinda think their current plan with the run (although not auto-run on the frist two downs) is going to open things up for JF1.

Aaron Rodgers is not only a great QB but uniquely suited to matching up to the Bears as they've historically been. We've had some really good defenses that only an elite QB can pick apart (see A.A, Ron) and on ce that happens we're counting on a team that sometimes has great rushing, usually has subaverage passing to keep up?  Nah. This is the kind of game where we both can't get behind early, and then also can't let him play hero ball later.  Picking this game is like throwing a dart on a board that's seventy percent green and gold: I could totally see us winning but more scenarios in which Fields learns to hate GB.  

• Like 1

Justin is getting extremely physically beat up already from just a handful of games in preseason and regular.  

He is crazy tough, but it is going to start to matter if it isn’t already.  I am not sure he is 100%.   He needs to learn to play while taking minimal hits.  

He needs to whine and act after every hit too so people stop trying to murder him.   Let them get flags and fines and they will stop.   Nobody is trying to murder Tom Brady because they know better.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Justin Fields is built the same as an F1 car...you have to at some point say get out of thinking about it and holding yourself back and just go play natural football at your full speed because he has been doing it for years

Problem with your analogy is letting him play "full speed" could get him killed. I am not interested in him getting sacked 9 times again; that's how you ruin a QB if you expose him to this type of abuse over and over and over.

As far as I'm concerned, Aaron Rodgers OWNS US until we prove otherwise. 20-5 record against us, 80% winning percentage. Good grief 🤢

Our offense is playing 1980s football with a heavy emphasis on the run and little-to-nothing in the passing game. Can you sustain that in 2021? Can the defense play lights-out football and have a special teams score to help the 30th ranked scoring offense in the NFL?

I dunno.

Maybe we see some more designed runs for Justin Fields (we should have already, damnit), but him being banged up might play a role in scrapping that for the next couple weeks.

Has anyone seen Allen Robinson? 17/181 and 1 TD.

Our TEs combined -- COMBINED -- have produced 12/94 and 1 TD.

Unless the defense plays elite football for 60 minutes, scores, and special teams scores as well, I don't see us winning this one. As always for when I predict a loss: HOPE I AM WRONG!

Packers 24
Bears 14

• Like 2

Key to this game will be offense.   

We can't have a bunch of 3 and outs.  You can't control clock if you don't move sticks.    It can't be run, run, pass (Justin Fields gets smashed), punt.

Defensive game plan is simple and obvious; take away Adams and Jones.  Make Rodgers hold ball under pressure and go to other players. 

Easier said than done as Rodgers does a really good (great) job of understanding where rush is coming from, moving to clean grass and buying time.  He rarely gets blind sided or surprised by a rusher.  He just sees the whole field.   It is frustrating and unique skill set for him.  

ARob will have to bring his A game and quite making business decisions worrying about his contract (I get it, but I don't like it and I wouldn't tolerate it.)

Hopefully Bears saw what I saw and that is that Herbert is more explosive than Williams and needs to be larger part of offensive game plan.  None of this we can't trust the rookie stuff.   Give ball to your best most explosive athletes and take your chances.  Right now in this moment that is Mooney and Herbert IMO, #3 would be ARob.   Use Herbert in passing game.  

Run more zone read.  Defenses respect Fields ability to run.   Use that.   Get rid of QB sweep  power - that is stupid.   Incorporate more misdirection plays.  Run zone read off jet sweep or the like.   Many things you can do.   You can't just line up and smash mouth all the time or go  6 OL and 2 or 3 TEs.  It isn't going to work.   Players are too big and too easy to gum up lanes.   A good fake is worth 2 blocks is ancient football coaching saying.

Misdirection slows down defenders (unless they have no respect for pass then it is just 10 guys coming for run anyway and nothing will work).

Game is not unwinnable - but I would put Bears at sizable underdogs to win this.   Their chances IMO depends on a good game plan (ie agreeing with me above) and execution thereof.

• Like 1