Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez

{Family Ghost}

I don't understand all the cap ramifications, but I think we have a couple must sign guys.

Campbell seems like a prime candidate for an in-season extension.  He's been pretty terrific and looks like the perfect fit for what we need at that position.  I can't imagine that it would take a monster contract to get him inked after bouncing around the past few years.  He's a ballplayer .. lock him up.

Davonte Adams is simply too good to let go at this time.  He's 28 and on top of the world at his position.  Pay the man!  Figure out a way and get it done.  If the game plan is to move to Jordan Love next season he's going to need a prime talent to help him succeed.  We have that guy on hand already in Adams .. get it done already.  I doubt he turns down a truly good deal.

Who else need to be re-signed?  I'm thinking we just should let Tonyan test the market and see what happens.  Jaylon Smith will be a candidate for a re-signing, but we need to see how things go.  If he plays well his price tag will probably be too much for the Packers to lock down.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

I would tend to agree, but easier said than done.  Every time I see Adams play I say pay the man.  At the same time, I say the same thing about Jenkins and Alexander.  You can not pay them all franchise player money.  I pay the O-Lineman every time, especially so one on his first big contract playing as he is.  Alexander is a must sign.  I fear Adams is gone, question is do we tag him?  You have to have room to tag him, will we?  I'm thinking more so tag and trade with a wink to the NFL.   Campbell may want to wait to sign, his arrow is pointing straight up with blue sky in front of it yet.

I keep going back and forth on Adams. I think the smartest play might be to do a tag-n-trade combo with Rodgers. I suspect those two will have ideas of going to the same team, and a team that trades for Rodgers will want to appease him. In a scenario like this, you end up getting "something" for Davante as well. I love Adams, but I'm spending that money on Jenkins and Jaire 10/10 times. Getting a "bonus" 2nd round pick for Adams in a package trade deal to a team that Rodgers is also going to keeps everyone happy.

100% agree about keeping Campbell around. Like Rodgers' teammate said - no idea why he was a street FA. He brings something this defense has been lacking for awhile and I want him around. He's going to be 29 and has "only" made $11million in his NFL career, so he's understandably going to be looking for a 'real' pay-day. I want to be the team that gives it to him.

I love, love, love Adams, but think the group of players we'd get with his money + a bonus draft pick is probably going to tip the scales in the direction of him walking.

Here's the list of 2022 WR Free Agents that we need to consider when making a decision of whether to get compensation for Adams in a tag'n'trade scenario or make him the highest paid WR in NFL history:

Allen Robinson (29)

Chris Godwin (26)

Davante Adams (29)

Will Fuller (28)

JuJu Smith-Schuster (25)

Courtland Sutton (27)

Calvin Ridley (27)

DJ Moore (25)

DJ Chark (26)

Robbie Anderson (29)

It looks like a decent market with other options. Might be hard to make Davante the highest paid guy in the league.

If "I doubt he turns down a truly good deal" means highest paid WR fully guaranteed, then yes, he won't turn it down. No hometown discount. The problem is, he turns 29 in December and you can probably count on one hand the number of WR's who produce Top 5 numbers after age 31. I read somewhere that the sticking point on a new contract is that the Packers don't want to guarantee the back end of any contract. And rightly so. Since Love's first year (minimum) is probably a throw away, what value are you getting from Adams ??

Jaire, Jenkins, Gary, and Love will all be knocking on the vault doors sooner rather than later. The starting point on those 4 combined is probably 100m/year

Edited by cannondale

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I keep going back and forth on Adams. I think the smartest play might be to do a tag-n-trade combo with Rodgers. I suspect those two will have ideas of going to the same team, and a team that trades for Rodgers will want to appease him. In a scenario like this, you end up getting "something" for Davante as well. I love Adams, but I'm spending that money on Jenkins and Jaire 10/10 times. Getting a "bonus" 2nd round pick for Adams in a package trade deal to a team that Rodgers is also going to keeps everyone happy.

100% agree about keeping Campbell around. Like Rodgers' teammate said - no idea why he was a street FA. He brings something this defense has been lacking for awhile and I want him around. He's going to be 29 and has "only" made $11million in his NFL career, so he's understandably going to be looking for a 'real' pay-day. I want to be the team that gives it to him.

I love, love, love Adams, but think the group of players we'd get with his money + a bonus draft pick is probably going to tip the scales in the direction of him walking.

Here's the list of 2022 WR Free Agents that we need to consider when making a decision of whether to get compensation for Adams in a tag'n'trade scenario or make him the highest paid WR in NFL history:

Allen Robinson (29)

Chris Godwin (26)

Davante Adams (29)

Will Fuller (28)

JuJu Smith-Schuster (25)

Courtland Sutton (27)

Calvin Ridley (27)

DJ Moore (25)

DJ Chark (26)

Robbie Anderson (29)

It looks like a decent market with other options. Might be hard to make Davante the highest paid guy in the league.

Damn .. that is a nice group of wideouts.  Tempting to do the tag and trade thing.  We have to make sure though that we have quality wideouts if we are going to give Love a fighting chance.  He isn't going to be able to make guys like Lazard and Cobb look good.

40 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If "I doubt he turns down a truly good deal" means highest paid WR fully guaranteed, then yes, he won't turn it down. No hometown discount. The problem is, he turns 29 in December and you can probably count on one hand the number of WR's who produce Top 5 numbers after age 31. I read somewhere that the sticking point on a new contract is that the Packers don't want to guarantee the back end of any contract. And rightly so. Since Love's first year (minimum) is probably a throw away, what value are you getting from Adams ??

Jaire, Jenkins, Gary, and Love will all be knocking on the vault doors sooner rather than later. The starting point on those 4 combined is probably 100m/year

I think if you can get three prime years out of Adams it's worth inking a deal .. I think he'll be a top guy for the next few years.  I am not opposed to a tag and trade, but I sure as hell want more than a late 3rd round comp pick for him by simply letting him leave.  That would be a ridiculous move by the Packers organization.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think if you can get three prime years out of Adams it's worth inking a deal .. I think he'll be a tough guy for the next few years.  I am not opposed to a tag and trade, but I sure as hell want more than a late 3rd round comp pick for him by simply letting him leave.  That would be a ridiculous move by the Packers organization.

If the path is to trade AR and Adams, you dont send Adams to the same team as AR - where presumably, the top picks would already have been taken.

I'm not seeing a realistic trade scenario when you consider the contract situation. Every other team knows the risk just as well as the Packers. "I'll give you a second round pick so I can sign Adams to the richest WR guaranteed contract in history at age 29."  I'm not seeing it. I assume the Packers would just let him walk to a team he would be happy with and take the comp pick and call it a day. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I'm not seeing a realistic trade scenario when you consider the contract situation. Every other team knows the risk just as well as the Packers. "I'll give you a second round pick so I can sign Adams to the richest WR guaranteed contract in history at age 29."  I'm not seeing it. I assume the Packers would just let him walk to a team he would be happy with and take the comp pick and call it a day. 

Huh?  Why would we want to go that route?

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I agree overall. I don't see a tag-n-trade by himself. The only scenario I could see it happen in is a blockbuster package w/ Rodgers where the trading team would be far more like to give up something for Adams to appease their new QB.

Edited by incognito_man

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Want has nothing to do with it. What's the reality ? Who makes the trade I proposed ?

:) Just cause you propose it doesnt mean it's going to become reality. What you described generally is the market not supporting Adams wishes - which makes his return to GB more possible - or - the offer he gets from his next team lower in quality / top picks.

Adams is far from being untradeable.

He's going to have sign a deal with somebody out there. If it's GBs intention to trade him - then they've got to find the team willing to get in the ballpark of his contract demands and cut a deal. Rather than simply letting him walk....thats the better business model.

18 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Letting him walk for a late 3rd in 2023 should get people fired.  Figure out a way to get more, or just sign the best wide receiver in the world to a new deal.  The cap will start rising again and we'll figure out a way to pay for it.  Don't let All Pro talent leave for peanuts.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

:) Just cause you propose it doesnt mean it's going to become reality. What you described generally is the market not supporting Adams wishes - which makes his return to GB more possible - or - the offer he gets from his next team lower in quality / top picks.

Adams is far from being untradeable.

He's going to have sign a deal with somebody out there. If it's GBs intention to trade him - then they've got to find the team willing to get in the ballpark of his contract demands and cut a deal. Rather than simply letting him walk....thats the better business model.

First of all, in order to make Adams tradeable, the Packers would have to tag him. That's simply not how they operate. In doing so, you also piss off Adams. Again, not something the Packers go out of their way to do. And I do think that's a tough sell with Adams contract demands. That's a lot a crap to deal with to get at most a second round pick. Just take the probably 3rd round compensatory pick, save yourself a whole lot of hassle and stay player friendly. I love Adams, but he is in a tough spot as well, and I'm sure he knows that. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Letting him walk for a late 3rd in 2023 should get people fired.  Figure out a way to get more, or just sign the best wide receiver in the world to a new deal.  The cap will start rising again and we'll figure out a way to pay for it.  Don't let All Pro talent leave for peanuts.

Can't see that happening.  The Packers, if they find the cap room, will tag him.  Then try to sign him to a reasonable contract.  When that fails they can indeed trade him, and he won't go to the team they trade Rodg to.  They will make certain of that.  I think he brings a 1.