Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez

{Family Ghost}

4 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Davonte isn't playing a down on the franchise tag. He's in a different league than Robinson. He's earned the super-mega-deal and isn't going to risk anything until he gets it. Nor should he. 

Both he and Rodgers can pick their teams next year. If they don't agree to extend Rodgers, he's gone via trade. Adams has Rodgers' back. He isn't staying in GB if management won't do what it takes to work it out with Rodgers. GB can try to tag/trade, but Adams can preempt any trade offers from undesirable teams by indicating that he won't sign an extension. No team is giving up a premium pick and franchise money for a 1 year rental who doesn't want to be there. Only Adams' preferred destination will make a meaningful trade offer and it won't be a 1st.  

Adams' future in GB hinges entirely on whether management and Rodgers can come together. If so, both Rodgers and Adams will likely make contract concessions to make it work in GB. If not, Adams can strong-arm his way anywhere he wants, including Rodgers' destination.   

Unfortunately, Adams doesn't really have much leverage if he gets tagged.

Adams is a stud, but idk if he is a luxury that is affordable, unless Rodgers is traded. Looks like they are already on track to be like $40+m over the cap in 2022, once you factor the draft picks and rounding out the 51-slot roster. They're going to have to do a bunch of gymnastics just to get under the cap, much less carving out space for an elite WR. Even a maximum restructure of Bak & Clark, extension of Alexander, and cutting P.Smith, Cobb, & Lowry doesn't clear enough for Adams. You'd probably have to cut/trade Z.Smith also.  

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, Adams doesn't really have much leverage if he gets tagged.

That's the way I see it too ... he really has no leverage if the Packers tag him.  He can sit out I guess, but where does that get him?  I think the Packers should just pay the guy .. they've always been about rewarding their own.  If you can make it work then by all means make it work.  I just do see any reason at all why the Packers would simply let him walk.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That's the way I see it too ... he really has no leverage if the Packers tag him.  He can sit out I guess, but where does that get him?  I think the Packers should just pay the guy .. they've always been about rewarding their own.  If you can make it work then by all means make it work.  I just do see any reason at all why the Packers would simply let him walk.

I don't think you can make Adams, Jenkins, and Alexander work cap wise.   I do agree the Pack should not let Adams walk.  Tag him.

To Sign Davante, it needs to be a 4-5 year deal with back loaded guarantees and a big SB. I think 4 years is reasonable...year 5 gets riskier. I don't think they have the room to tag him unless they trade AR before the time for a tag. Regardless its alot of money. I see an extension as a slightly higher probability over letting him walk...tagging seems like an unlikely scenario.

So many moving pieces....so many contracts need to be redone in a relatively short period of time.

10 hours ago, 15412 said:

I don't think you can make Adams, Jenkins, and Alexander work cap wise.   I do agree the Pack should not let Adams walk.  Tag him.

You can.  It's just gonna be ugly for a year.  By trading Aaron Rodgers, cutting Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith, and Dean Lowry.  And extending Jaire Alexander that lowers his cap hit, you're under the cap next year.  Sure, you're short 2 pass rushers but it'll work cap wise.  After all that, you're going to see north of $100M in cap space after the 2023 season.  Granted, a chunk of that is going to go towards extensions for Darnell Savage, Elgton Jenkins, and Rashan Gary.

When figuring out what to do next offseason (where we're currently what $50 million over the cap?) the first  questions are what to do about Rodgers, Adams (assuming tagged), Cobb, Z Smith and P Smith contracts, as the Packers can't get under the cap with those huge contracts and therefore they either need long term extensions, to be re-worked deals, released or traded.

And everything you do after that, would be based on these decisions and how much cap room you got.

We should absolutely tag Adams, but that's what $17 million, and that would take our over the cap to $67 million? We can't make that work without working out a long term deal with him. 

Abd I think the Packers might get less for Rodgers in trade than we think, as teams would have to give him mega contract and draft picks, as one NFL person out it, 3 first round picks so far has only been given up for suspected franchise QBs rookies. Also Rodgers absolutely has trade leverage in that any team has to work out a new deal with him, and at least according to rumors, Rodgers want to head West to be closer to California, and with the exception of the Broncos, just about all the West teams have their franchise QB. Also rumor has it, Packers strongly prefer it to be an AFC team. So maybe the Packers bet shot at getting a bidding war is have the Raiders sign a Packers coach to be their new head coach and it at least looks like the Raiders might want Rodgers to drive the price up on the Broncos.

But the Packers also need to save some money as soon they'll be needing to resign or pick up more expensive 5th year options for CB Alexander, OL Jenkins, OLB Gary and S Savage... 

Not to mention just about every WR except WR Rodgers and Cobb is going into a contract year... also TE Tonyan too.

They're probably be rebuilding next year unless they can get long term deals with Rodgers and Adams, and that's probably not happening.

I think a huge question is how good is QB Love and which guys does he have a connection with? Because part of the reason Adams and Cobb are so good with the Packers is their connection with Rodgers, where MVS has a horrible connection with Rodgers... but whom does Love have a connection with?

If Love has a connection with MVS resigning him could potentially be a steal... but if there connection is just as bad as Rodgers, then you might want to let him go elsewhere.

But under the radar guys, whom I would like the Packers to try to resign if they're cheap enough (Packers will only have so much cap space).

- ILB Campbell / Smith ( can't afford both)

- P Bojorquez, seems better than we've had for a while.

- CB Sullivan, e might be cheap and he's solid, an upgrade would be nice but if cheap he's at least consistent.

- CB Yiadom, decent depth and ST skills