Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez

25 minutes ago, craig said:

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/21/arizona-cardinals-salary-cap-contract-devondre-campbell/

Per the AZ article, Campbell's contract with AZ was basically $6M guaranteed for one year, with $2.5 in incentives.  The Cardinals didn't have much space under the cap, so they were kind of creative with it.  Basically structured to be $2M hit in 2020, not including the incentives; with $4M in dead cap for the 2020 season.  

I mention that because it maybe provides some context.  A $6M/1 guy isn't a stud, obviously.  But the NFL is a salary-cap league, so there is a limited stock of teams who are going to be committing limited cap money to decent-not-great ILB.  The fact that coming off his Atlanta years, that AZ thought he was worth $6M guaranteed, with possibility for more in incentives, seems maybe a little better than "washed up"?  Maybe $6/year is the definition of JAG, but I think some might view JAG as nearer the vet's minimum.

Then obviously this year the Packers signed him for $2/1.  That's nearer vets minimum, and that's kinda JAG-like for sure.  But yeah, this was Covid year, and EVERYBODY was cap-constrained.  So, I'm not sure that proves a league-wise consensus that he was washed-up-JAG-barely-minimum-wage guy?  I think most teams just didn't have much discretionary spending this offseason?  

Obviously contract dollars don't define the player.  And as vegas's stats suggest, his PFF data now seems not to match what it was prior when he received his contracts.  

Just suggesting that in a salary-cap league, and then amplified by a Covid cap, there can be some solid-average guys who don't fit as solid second-contract guys into a salary-capped team.  The fact that neither Atlanta nor AZ prioritized spending significant cap dollars on him doesn't prove that he was a bad player, or that he isn't a capable player on our team within our scheme.  

I think he'd be a nice guy to keep, if the dollars are appropriately modest.  $12/3, I'd be fine with that.  

This sums it up well. Typically I think the free market is a decent barometer, but we all heard that players are surprised at what he signed for.

Ryan Wood -  De’Vondre Campbell gets “straight to the point” on why he likes playing in Packers new defense:

"Linebackers get to be linebackers and defensive backs get to be defensive backs."

///

Somewhere Preston Smith is smiling.

Edited by Leader
3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -  De’Vondre Campbell gets “straight to the point” on why he likes playing in Packers new defense:

"Linebackers get to be linebackers and defensive backs get to be defensive backs."

///

Somewhere Preston Smith is smiling.

And somewhere Blake Martinez is frowning lol 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, cannondale said:

I know I wouldn't say let him walk, I'm sure Isaiah McDuffie will be just fine

Good post Cannon. Next year will be interesting one can only guess but if AR is still here on an extension will we have moneyto sign anyone? If he's gone we'll likely have cash to spend as a few others will be gone also as I could see a mini purge of the high priced guys. 

If we do purge and Love is our starter does the FO spend on help for him or help for his defense both. And do any FA's want to play in what could be considered a rebuilding time? 

With that said he's been a heck of a surprise pick up and really played better than any LB that i can remember going back to the Barnett says. Bishop was ok but Campbell seems to be good in coverage and in the run game. Very good instincts so far. Good pick up, but next year will be interesting. 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:32 PM, cannondale said:

I know I wouldn't say let him walk, I'm sure Isaiah McDuffie will be just fine

I know I wouldn't say that I'd rather have him over....Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Donald, Myles Garrett, Khalil Mack, TJ Watt, Jaire Alexander, Deforest Buckner, Either Bosa, Darius Leonard, Tremaine Edmunds, Bobby Wagner and a whole host of other guys.

But, it is fun and nice to know that we have a good ILB right now.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:55 PM, incognito_man said:

Who let Z Smith walk right to us! :)

That is true, Judon also drafted and developed there. What a testament to their f/o and coaching that they can let talent walk, gain draft capital, and still have an option ready to fill in at a high level. Ravens defensive castaways have a pretty good track record but their defense always remains strong. 

Edited by Refugee