Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez

{Family Ghost}

9 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Option 1: Pressure from a 6'3" DL forces the 5'10" Murray to put more air under ball than intended. Hopkins tracks the overthrow and makes adjustment from intended back shoulder throw.

Option 2: Hopkins runs super late-breaking double move, with the ball already in the air, a route never put on tape by him before.  

I know which one is more likely. 

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The interpretation you're trying to sell makes absolutely no sense and doesn't align with the facts. The ball was halfway to him in the air when he hesitated.

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Incognito....come out and play-e-aye.

Warriors Bottles GIF

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 2:52 PM, HokieHigh said:

for sure this adds lots of flexibility to the defense. we will see lots of ja in the slot, but the perception that the guy on the outside of the field is more valuable is outdated. 

anyone who saw that hopkins catch over stokes and thought 'stokes will always be bad' is wrong. that was a classic rookie error he just got lost... but his legs had him in great position to make a play. he will put it together if he has the right coaching, i think he will.

My concern with Alexander in the slot is will he have more physical work to handle? And can his body handle that?

As far as the perception that slot guys are less valuable, I truely want to agree with you (especially in this scheme which based on some seem to be a higher value on the slot role being versatile)... but the bottom line is money talks and slot CBs on average get paid less and seem to switch teams more not getting big long term deals to keep them in place long-term. 

What I'm saying is, I believe the slot role is on the field like 80% of the time and is a starter, they're extremely needed... but the experts aren't seemingly putting the money behind them like they're just as valuable as others... 

Also I've read an article which suggested a lot of the best spot CBs yeah in and year out we're undrafted CBs that were considered too small, and it seems like teams (maybe wrongfully so) sorta treat it like RBs where any year a good starter might be among the undrafted, you just need to find the gem and teams don't seem to invest too heavily in the position.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beast said:

My concern with Alexander in the slot is will he have more physical work to handle? And can his body handle that?

As far as the perception that slot guys are less valuable, I truely want to agree with you (especially in this scheme which based on some seem to be a higher value on the slot role being versatile)... but the bottom line is money talks and slot CBs on average get paid less and seem to switch teams more not getting big long term deals to keep them in place long-term. 

What I'm saying is, I believe the slot role is on the field like 80% of the time and is a starter, they're extremely needed... but the experts aren't seemingly putting the money behind them like they're just as valuable as others... 

Also I've read an article which suggested a lot of the best spot CBs yeah in and year out we're undrafted CBs that were considered too small, and it seems like teams (maybe wrongfully so) sorta treat it like RBs where any year a good starter might be among the undrafted, you just need to find the gem and teams don't seem to invest too heavily in the position.

i dont think CB is a RB like position at all. woodson played quite a bit of that slot role and was clearly our top guy. 

i think your point about physicality is well taken, Ja ought to get paid before putting his body on the line in there. But if that AC joint is not at risk of reinjury he is a very physical player, great at stepping up in run defense, very good blitzer. He could have some super valuable snaps in the playoffs in that role.  I don't think he needs to take 20 snaps a game there - just a few crucial third downs. 

if cooper kupp or antonio brown/godwin are moving in the slot i 100% want Ja to be there

Edited by HokieHigh

16 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Personally gonna ride with Woods opinion until DHop says otherwise

I've said from the outset it was a great adjustment mid-thow by Hopkins. I think Woodson is trying to protect Stokes, here.

The other guy kept insisting that the move/fake/hesitation happened before he even threw the ball. Which is/was nonsense.

Whether Hopkins INTENTIONALLY faked out Stokes, or did the hitch unintentionally, it happened with the ball in mid-air and Stokes was oblivious while Hopkins made a great adjustment.

I'm not blaming Stokes for any of that. I never once suggested that was some sort of designed route. It obviously was not and was just a great improvisation one way or another by Hopkins.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, HokieHigh said:

https://ibb.co/8K1d3bv

i actually think he has the speed to turn his head around there and locate the ball instead of watching hopkins, and then play catch up.

What you are asking him to do is something that MAYBE only Deion Sanders could have done.

No other corner is going to recover after the receiver stops, looks for the ball, then takes off knowing where it is.

Sometimes you just gotta give it up for the offense making an unbelievable play.

Edited by vegas492
No disrespect to Charles, but even he gets burned on that one. It was just a great offensive play.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:47 AM, incognito_man said:

I've said from the outset it was a great adjustment mid-thow by Hopkins. I think Woodson is trying to protect Stokes, here.

The other guy kept insisting that the move/fake/hesitation happened before he even threw the ball. Which is/was nonsense.

Whether Hopkins INTENTIONALLY faked out Stokes, or did the hitch unintentionally, it happened with the ball in mid-air and Stokes was oblivious while Hopkins made a great adjustment.

I'm not blaming Stokes for any of that. I never once suggested that was some sort of designed route. It obviously was not and was just a great improvisation one way or another by Hopkins.

From the All-22 I'm pretty sure it actually was intentional by Hopkins, which is the sort of wild nonsense you see from elite receivers.  Hopkins is tracking the ball as he makes the sideline move and slows down, then he accelerates with perfect timing to catch it in stride.  The throw itself is actually weirdly the problem for Stokes; it's not far enough downfield Hopkins can find it and go get it in stride, but too far that he can make a play off his initial cut.  It reminds me a bit of the throw to Davante against the Hawks in the playoffs in 2019; the CB's leverage ends up way wrong because they're not expecting a slow, arcing throw that arrives late.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

From the All-22 I'm pretty sure it actually was intentional by Hopkins, which is the sort of wild nonsense you see from elite receivers.  Hopkins is tracking the ball as he makes the sideline move and slows down, then he accelerates with perfect timing to catch it in stride.  

Nah.

As Woodson says, he was expecting a different throw. It explains the entire sequence. Nothing in Hopkins' actions suggests that's not the case. 

Hopkins is expecting to get the ball where he decelerated, realizes it's an overthrow and accelerates to track it. As Woodson says, Murray threw it up for grabs. Pressure forced a change in trajectory hence the overthrow. It's not complicated. "Perfect timing" is just an ad hoc description to buoy your narrative.  

If that's the kind of "wild nonsense" you see from elite receivers, it shouldn't be too hard to provide examples from Hopkins/Murray or any other elite WR/QB. Got any? 

I'll trust a HOF CB's parsimonious interpretation. He's got experience with these kinds of things.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

From the All-22 I'm pretty sure it actually was intentional by Hopkins, which is the sort of wild nonsense you see from elite receivers.  Hopkins is tracking the ball as he makes the sideline move and slows down, then he accelerates with perfect timing to catch it in stride.  The throw itself is actually weirdly the problem for Stokes; it's not far enough downfield Hopkins can find it and go get it in stride, but too far that he can make a play off his initial cut.  It reminds me a bit of the throw to Davante against the Hawks in the playoffs in 2019; the CB's leverage ends up way wrong because they're not expecting a slow, arcing throw that arrives late.

I agree with this and disagree with Woodson's interpretation. Feels like he simply said it to protect Stokes (which is fine with me if Woodson is taking interest in him!).

Hopkins is incredibly gifted and that definitely in his range of ability.