Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez

{Family Ghost}

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You can.  It's just gonna be ugly for a year.  By trading Aaron Rodgers, cutting Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith, and Dean Lowry.  And extending Jaire Alexander that lowers his cap hit, you're under the cap next year.  Sure, you're short 2 pass rushers but it'll work cap wise.  After all that, you're going to see north of $100M in cap space after the 2023 season.  Granted, a chunk of that is going to go towards extensions for Darnell Savage, Elgton Jenkins, and Rashan Gary.

I know mathematically you can make it work as you accurately pointed out.  There are probably other options to make it work as well.  But in the big picture, the long term picture, does it really make sense?  If so, by all means sign all three.  Adams is in my mind the best WR in the league and the highest of class acts.  If you're going to stretch for a WR, this is indeed the man.  I just more highly value O-Lineman and elite corners more so than signing WR's to monster long term contracts, more so yet as they approach age 30.

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

I know mathematically you can make it work as you accurately pointed out.  There are probably other options to make it work as well.  But in the big picture, the long term picture, does it really make sense?  If so, by all means sign all three.  Adams is in my mind the best WR in the league and the highest of class acts.  If you're going to stretch for a WR, this is indeed the man.  I just more highly value O-Lineman and elite corners more so than signing WR's to monster long term contracts, more so yet as they approach age 30.

Yea, that’s the difficult part. The positional value would clearly say keep Z.Smith over Adams, but it could be argued that Adams is so elite that even Smith would be an acceptable loss to keep him, especially given the health issues. He is over half of the team’s receiving production, esp since Tonyan has disappeared. Literally everyone knows we will pass to Adams and they still can’t stop him. 

Meanwhile, at least we’d still have Gary if the Smiths were gone. w/o Adams, GB has nothing at WR/TE. 

Adams is like AJones. Possibly special enough to overlook convention, as painful as it would be to hand out 3rd-contracts to WR’s. 

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting the Packers sign Davante Adams to a mega deal.  But you franchise tag him 2 straights years, Adams walks away with effectively a 2 year, $42.1M deal.  At that point, he's a 31 year old FA and you let him get his big deal from another team.  You can probably get one more good contract out of him, but you let him walk after that.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting the Packers sign Davante Adams to a mega deal.  But you franchise tag him 2 straights years, Adams walks away with effectively a 2 year, $42.1M deal.  At that point, he's a 31 year old FA and you let him get his big deal from another team.  You can probably get one more good contract out of him, but you let him walk after that.

Makes sense, but I believe if we tag him he will be traded when we can't get that "reasonable" deal.  I'd be all for the alternative though as you offer.

1 minute ago, 15412 said:

Makes sense, but I believe if we tag him he will be traded when we can't get that "reasonable" deal.  I'd be all for the alternative though as you offer.

The double tag would probably be a "worst case" scenario for both Davante Adams and Green Bay.  I don't see Adams getting Hopkins' AAV, but I think he'd get close to it on the FA market.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So, the team is going to squat on a superstar for two years via the franchise tag ($19m in '22), expect him to play for ~75% of what he'd earn on the open market, with no bonus money, running out the clock on his prime and seriously decreasing the value of his last long-term deal, while he risks major injury which could drastically reduce or even completely eliminate that final long-term deal and Adams will just happily play along? That's realistic? 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

So, the team is going to squat on a superstar for two years via the franchise tag ($19m in '22), expect him to play for ~75% of what he'd earn on the open market, with no bonus money, running out the clock on his prime and seriously decreasing the value of his last long-term deal, while he risks major injury which could drastically reduce or even completely eliminate that final long-term deal and Adams will just happily play along? That's realistic? 

Yea, as much as I would like Adams at a discount (& get him a chance at surpassing Driver), I don't think this would be a good look. Would probably rub a lot of other players the wrong way. With players of this caliber, I think it would be better if the threat of the tag was only be used as a means to encourage a long-term deal or to tag-&-trade. Not as a means of repeated below-market-value deals. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

So far he's been a perfect fit for the Packers defense.  Seems like he's taking on a leadership role as well.

He was a leader here in Atlanta and played at his best when they used him more like a Mike than a Will. Had the Falcons flipped him and Deion Jones, they would have been better on defense and maybe Dan Quinn doesn't lead the team to 2 straight 7-9 seasons in Campbell's last two years here.

10 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Yes.  Adams has nobody but the NFLPA to blame for the franchise tag.  If the Packers decide to franchise tag him, there's really nothing he can do about it.  Remember when Allen Robinson wasn't going to play on the franchise tag?