Jump to content

Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Yea, as much as I would like Adams at a discount (& get him a chance at surpassing Driver), I don't think this would be a good look. Would probably rub a lot of other players the wrong way. With players of this caliber, I think it would be better if the threat of the tag was only be used as a means to encourage a long-term deal or to tag-&-trade. Not as a means of repeated below-market-value deals. 

It's not any worse optics then him wanting to blow the market out by asking for Hopkins' AAV ($27.25M) on a long-term (4+ years) deal.  Davante Adams' market has been set.  It's ~$22M/year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is where Adams pays the price for the relatively slow start to his career.  He didn't have a 1000 yard season until year 5, so his second contract was a very good contract, but wasn't a deal that set a new bar for WR's.  Now that he is truly elite, he's too old for a team to want to give him a huge deal.  Using the tag is really the only move that makes sense for GB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ancillary to Adams greatness on the field, one overlooked contribution he’s made has been to temper fans’ patience with rookies and early career players.  Because of him, many of us no longer expect immediate impact/greatness from said players.  I’m personally much more willing to give all younger players “time” before writing them off.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Ancillary to Adams greatness on the field, one overlooked contribution he’s made has been to temper fans’ patience with rookies and early career players.  Because of him, many of us no longer expect immediate impact/greatness from said players.  I’m personally much more willing to give all younger players “time” before writing them off.  

Forget that.  GB 2023 1st round pick is a bust.  Hasn't even cracked the game day actives yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 9:08 AM, Leader said:

If the path is to trade AR and Adams, you dont send Adams to the same team as AR - where presumably, the top picks would already have been taken.
 

Get into the future then. That trade pair might be the most unique situation in football history, and we are the one team who can ride Gute while we take the picks that may or may not make us contenders. But that to me is worth 4 1st rounds (starting in 2025) and 3 third rounds (starting in the same year). Lets just use our inability to recruit Free agents to our advantage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2021 at 6:56 AM, Mazrimiv said:

This is where Adams pays the price for the relatively slow start to his career.  He didn't have a 1000 yard season until year 5, so his second contract was a very good contract, but wasn't a deal that set a new bar for WR's.  Now that he is truly elite, he's too old for a team to want to give him a huge deal.  Using the tag is really the only move that makes sense for GB.

Chris Simms outlined some bs like this on his podcast. His reception numbers are going to break the record at some point, because he sets up DB's in a way that, football wise, is really important. Simms had a ridiculous complaint about him catching a slant to convert a big third down, and "he wasn't able to punch it in, like the top 10 receivers should". Dude gets open alllllllllll the time, has five routes that look identical and no-one understands/knows what's about to happen. HE is the GOAT right now. Sorry he ran a 4.52, he had an elite vertical, and he is in contention for the best route runner in NFL history. We would be 3-3 without Te.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldmansmell said:

Get into the future then. That trade pair might be the most unique situation in football history, and we are the one team who can ride Gute while we take the picks that may or may not make us contenders. But that to me is worth 4 1st rounds (starting in 2025) and 3 third rounds (starting in the same year). Lets just use our inability to recruit Free agents to our advantage. 

How far into the future can you offer picks? That’s more the NBA’s style but I dunno the stipulations for those per the CBR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

How far into the future can you offer picks? That’s more the NBA’s style but I dunno the stipulations for those per the CBR. 

Its four years. So yeah this was a bad idea.

Edited by oldmansmell
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d probably tag and trade DA. The guy is awesome, but considering his age, our cap situation, and how much college is churning out wrs, the prudent thing to do is move on. Outside Driver who didn’t start until he was 27, pretty much all of our wrs the last few decades faded 29-31. The DA we see today probably only exists 1 more year. Under this plan we’d need to commit to improving the wr room though. Our last top 80 pick wr was DA. 

Edited by pacman5252
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...