Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez

{Family Ghost}

Can't sign Campbell right now.  Have to wait for him to gravitate back to earth.  Wouldn't mind bringing him back but we shouldn't have to break the bank.  Maybe just rob it a little.  On Douglas haven't seen enough just yet.  He's been pretty damn solid so far.  So yeah I'd try to bring him back if he keeps his play up.  Bojo must resign.  Guy is a phenomenal punter.  I'd lock him up long term.  What a great asset and pick up by Gute.  Gotta say he's done a hell of a job bringing all these guys in.  

Adams is such a fricken stud.  We just don't have the dollars.  I'd franchise him.  If Aaron is back let him play on the tag if not try to recoup some value in a trade.  Really hope Rodgers can stay if he's gone we'll be in some pain for awhile.  At least one lost season and that is if Love can be the guy.  If not it could be quite awhile before the Packers return to relevance.  So hard to find a franchise QB.  

Z is done in GB.  Really a shame about the back.  Damn.  Should allow us some flexibility next year.  JA, Gary, Jenkins we got some guys that need to get done.  Just don't know how we can bring them all back. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's ridiculous. Campbell is veteran journeyman that we're barely paying more than the vet minimum. He didn't just happen to turn into a good player at 28.

You know what's ridiculous ?? The never ending string of lunch pail guys the Packers love that preceded him. What's the going rate for not having to deal with them plugging in the next Jake Ryan ? Because history would suggest you're gonna get that or a washed up vet.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Just to be clear, if it's just the system, then why are all the other ILBers struggling?

Or is Campbell's role easier, and you're suggesting they would do better in Campbell's role? 

I certainly agree (and I think the NFL agrees) that teams shouldn't over invest into ILBers (depending on scheme) unless they're 3 down, great at everything LBers. As there is just too many ways to manipulate them if they have a clear weakness.

Which inside linebackers are struggling? Barnes has looked pretty good. Oren Burks has gone from completely unplayable bust to competent player. 

The tide is raising all boats.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

You know what's ridiculous ?? The never ending string of lunch pail guys the Packers love that preceded him. What's the going rate for not having to deal with them plugging in the next Jake Ryan ? Because history would suggest you're gonna get that or a washed up vet.

What was Devondre Campbell if not a washed up vet?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What was Devondre Campbell if not a washed up vet?

Think you need to tone down the hyper-critical drive.

He's a 28 year old six year vet.

Has he suffered some serious injury? Doesnt look like it as his stat line is one of a guy that plays every week.

Not sure where the "washed up" part comes from.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Think you need to tone down the hyper-critical drive.

He's a 28 year old six year vet.

Has he suffered some serious injury? Doesnt look like it as his stat line is one of a guy that plays every week.

Not sure where the "washed up" part comes from.

He wasn't resigned by his drafted team and wasn't resigned after a one year deal after that. He was a fourth round pick, so it's probably not fair to call him a bust, but he's certainly a JAG

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's ridiculous. Campbell is veteran journeyman that we're barely paying more than the vet minimum. He didn't just happen to turn into a good player at 28.

Not sure that's a take I see, he's not a journeyman and he was a good player before he came to Green Bay.  His 2019 was legit pro bowl caliber year, and he was solid in 2020, there just was no space for him on a Cardinals team that ended up taking Simmons at 8 and already had Hicks on a big contract.  He flashes on tape even in this system, that's a rangy, long athlete who plays super hard every snap.  I'm not sure I pay him either, but I think you're underselling the player quite a bit regardless.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

He wasn't resigned by his drafted team and wasn't resigned after a one year deal after that. He was a fourth round pick, so it's probably not fair to call him a bust, but he's certainly a JAG

He's a JAG that wins a starting gig everywhere he goes.  I'm not sure you can be called a JAG and start like damn near every game of your career.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's a JAG that wins a starting gig everywhere he goes.  I'm not sure you can be called a JAG and start like damn near every game of your career.

Fair point, but my definition of a JAG is a guy who doesn't see a long term 2nd contract. Obviously if his previous teams thought he were more than a JAG, he would not be available to us.

19 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Fair point, but my definition of a JAG is a guy who doesn't see a long term 2nd contract. Obviously if his previous teams thought he were more than a JAG, he would not be available to us.

That is probably true as well.  Journeyman starting linebacker sounds a little better.  He's a good fit for what we're doing, and they should lock him up for another year or two.  What's he worth?  I'm going to say 5-6 mil per.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which inside linebackers are struggling? Barnes has looked pretty good. Oren Burks has gone from completely unplayable bust to competent player. 

The tide is raising all boats.

All of them not named Campbell... Barnes certainly has his positive moments... but he's also had his struggles, Jaylen Smith has struggled, and just because Burks goes from complete trash on defense, so half way useable doesn't mean he's in Campbell class...

@AlexGreen#20

Dude makes a solid point.  Was Campbell a washed up vet who is thriving in this system?

2020 PFF for Campbell....Overall score.  49.  Run D 48.3.  Pass Rush 51.  Coverage 51.5.

2021 PFF for Campbell.....Overall score.  89.2.  Run D 91.4.  Pass Rush 58.6.  Coverage 81.1.

I checked his prior year PFF score.  68.3 was his highest overall score.  Most were 51-55.

One of these data sets is not like all the others.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/21/arizona-cardinals-salary-cap-contract-devondre-campbell/

Per the AZ article, Campbell's contract with AZ was basically $6M guaranteed for one year, with $2.5 in incentives.  The Cardinals didn't have much space under the cap, so they were kind of creative with it.  Basically structured to be $2M hit in 2020, not including the incentives; with $4M in dead cap for the 2020 season.  

I mention that because it maybe provides some context.  A $6M/1 guy isn't a stud, obviously.  But the NFL is a salary-cap league, so there is a limited stock of teams who are going to be committing limited cap money to decent-not-great ILB.  The fact that coming off his Atlanta years, that AZ thought he was worth $6M guaranteed, with possibility for more in incentives, seems maybe a little better than "washed up"?  Maybe $6/year is the definition of JAG, but I think some might view JAG as nearer the vet's minimum.

Then obviously this year the Packers signed him for $2/1.  That's nearer vets minimum, and that's kinda JAG-like for sure.  But yeah, this was Covid year, and EVERYBODY was cap-constrained.  So, I'm not sure that proves a league-wise consensus that he was washed-up-JAG-barely-minimum-wage guy?  I think most teams just didn't have much discretionary spending this offseason?  

Obviously contract dollars don't define the player.  And as vegas's stats suggest, his PFF data now seems not to match what it was prior when he received his contracts.  

Just suggesting that in a salary-cap league, and then amplified by a Covid cap, there can be some solid-average guys who don't fit as solid second-contract guys into a salary-capped team.  The fact that neither Atlanta nor AZ prioritized spending significant cap dollars on him doesn't prove that he was a bad player, or that he isn't a capable player on our team within our scheme.  

I think he'd be a nice guy to keep, if the dollars are appropriately modest.  $12/3, I'd be fine with that.  

• Like 1