Does a Kyrie for Wall trade make sense?

turtle28

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Laws could be very different by then.

True, that's part of my point, it could get more lenient, but it could also get more restricted. Obviously certain cities in certain states you could predict which direction, but forecasting playoff slotting in advance? Hard to predict.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Obviously the Nets would get back more than Wall in the trade like picks & some players but, the NETS have to do something bc they can’t play Kyrie.

I do like @Kip Smithers Idea of trading for Dame for the Nets better. I was just trying to think of a way for Wall to get out of Houston so he can play & for Kyrie to get out of Brooklyn so he can play also.

John Wall is washed and on one of the worst contracts in the NBA. The only way the deal would even work financially is if the Nets attached more then $10M in salary with Kyrie to even be able to absorb Wall's contract. I doubt their owner wants to give up Kyrie and multiple other players with their $110M tax bill to have John Wall on their team.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Right now Kyrie ain’t worth a bag of chips from the corner store. The Nets couldn’t give him away right now. 

Utah doesn't have a vaccine mandate, if the Nets are so concerned about it, we will give them the poster child of Covid for Kyrie. 

maxresdefault.jpg

11 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Wouldn't he be limited to not playing away games in certain cities as well? That could have major ramifications in the playoffs.

Very few. I’m not even sure if the few other cities aside from NY that have mandates allow the silly loophole by which opposing unvaccinated players can still play. 

LeBron and Durant are playing chess. 

LeBron sent Kyrie in as a sleeper cell to sit out this season, thus tanking the Nets chances. Durant countered that by sending his own sleeper cell, Russell Westbrook, to the Lakers so he would play, thus tanking the Lakers chances.

• Like 4

No, not in the slightest.

First, let's talk contracts. Wall is set to make $10 million more this season. He has a player option for $47 million next season, and he will absolutely opt in. So they'd have to trade someone else (likely a rotation player) on top of Kyrie to match contracts, and then they are stuck with Wall's albatross deal next season as well.

Now let's talk fit. John Wall would be a terrible fit for the Brooklyn Nets. He's primarily an on-ball player, he has serious durability concerns, and he's not good off the ball. To make Wall useful you'd have to take possessions away from Durant/Harden, and both of them are on different planets than Wall with the ball in their hands. He's not a good shooter or off-ball threat so he'll clog their lanes even more, and you can't even rely on his health. In the regular season it wouldn't matter but come postseason time you'd be losing depth, and adding a liability.

Why would the Rockets trade for Kyrie? You have a team with no chance at making the playoffs, and you're adding a guy who has been a problem for every locker room he's been a part of. This would be the worst team Kyrie has been on in years, and you have a young, impressionable group of guys who you want to see what you have with. The timelines don't match at all. You do save $10 million in salary, and get a better player but your organization gets worse, and there are conflicting goals there.

The Nets get worse. They are better off paying Kyrie to stay home, keep their rotation intact, and not take on more salary for an unreliable, horrible fit. The Rockets go from a bottom 5 team to a bottom 10 team, have to put up a massive headache, take the ball out of their young guys hands, and worry about their extremely young locker room being ruined.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, agarcia34 said:

Right now Kyrie ain’t worth a bag of chips from the corner store. The Nets couldn’t give him away right now. 

Kyrie is still one of the elite players in the league and I respect him for not caving in if he doesn't feel comfortable with the vaccine. He'll be playing for the Nets eventually and I'd guess sooner rather than later.