Season as of now.

Remy

Anyone else feel like our season is like watching a low budget action film? You're on the edge of your seat and not because it's an amazing film but because it is just barely entertaining? We are just barely winning if we do win. I get that this draft was hard and this year has been hard still. But i thought Pitts was gonna have a td before now but hey what a way to make a first td but in a hundred yard game in londond and to be the first rookie to have a 100 yard game in london.

2-3 isn't great obviously, but I like the overall direction of the team. Arthur Smith is still learning. Personnel wise, we're lacking. There's no way around that. It's going to take some time. The encouraging part is other than against Philadelphia in week one, they've been in every game. Even at Tampa Bay, they hung in there until the 4th. Dropping the Washington game hurt. Long season and the schedule is pretty favorable. 

With regards to Pitts, I've loved what I've seen so far. Crazy to think he just turned 21 this month. I don't put much stock into TD's, or lack thereof. A lot of that is dictated on how the defense plays you. Even as a rookie, it's clear he's been a focus for defenses. 

Ryan still has it, although the deep ball clearly took a little bit of a hit. You can win with him. Mike Davis has been solid. Patterson has been a stud. So far to watch. He's going to get paid this offseason. Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll be able to re-sign him, but we'll see. Ridley needs to get it together, but I'm confident he will. Even with Pitts, this team lacks a #2 to take some of the attention away. That may be Gage, but we haven't seen it since he's been hurt. You don't need another stud, but you need another guy in the mix. Sharpe has made some tough catches, but he's nothing more than a #4. Ideally, you have Ridley as WR1, grab a guy in the draft who can be a real solid WR2 like Sanu was, and then you're fine with Gage as WR3, especially with Pitts. I'm sure Hurst is gone this offseason. Offensive line has been the biggest problem, but they've improved. It's still a very young group, so the rest of the season will go a long way in showing us what positions we need to address there. 

Defensively, it's been a mixed bag. But we just don't have the personnel there. Need to add more talent in the front 7, specifically a pass rusher. Fowler has actually been solid, but you need a stud opposite. Inside backers are set with Jones and Foye. Also need another big body or two up front. Secondary wise, Terrell looks outstanding. They'll need to add someone to play opposite of him, as well as another safety to pair with Grant long-term. 

Mostly agreeing with you Swoosh. The team seems to be trending up but we're in the easier part of the schedule imo and apart from the Bucs haven't played any real contenders.

I wouldn't call Mike Davis solid. He's been serviceable but I was expecting a lot more out of him. He's been running pretty violently and seems hard to take down but he's also been going sideways a lot instead of through the holes. The Oline jelling and AS getting a bit more passhappy on early downs should help. CP is basically making the impact I was hoping Mike Davis would be making. Really impressed by him and I do agree he could be gone. Then again he has been kind of a bust and journeyman up too this year so I could see his market being less hot then we expect come FA.
With regards to the #2 WR I am a pretty big Gage fan. I think he has the potential to be a high end #2 WR in this league but he does need to start cashing in on that potential. I do agree we need help at WR right now. Zaccheaus has been sup par imo and Ridley has been underperforming. Also I'm not a huge Hurst guy. Even against the Jets when he had stastically a pretty good game he had one fumble and one almost fumble. Can't have that at TE.

Agreed one defence. Hawkins could develop in a decent safety duo with Grant but it's a bit of a big if. It's a shame that Oliver got hurt since he was having a pretty good season. For years we've been neglecting the Dline and passrush so this year I would really like if they drafted or paid up in FA for some real talent there. It could make the rest of the defence a lot better.

Edited by DutchFalcon

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta has an outside shot at the playoffs with their remaining schedule. They're not a great team, but if they can go 3-3 in the division (beating CAR or NO twice and the other once), they have a good shot to pick up 3+ more wins from a remaining schedule that has JAX, DET and SF on it. They could also surprise some good teams like DAL, BUF or TB who are still on the schedule. They're still 0-1 in the division as we speak and 1-3 in the conference. Eventually, Arthur Smith is gonna figure out NFC play and have this team win a couple of good games that they shouldn't.

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

Atlanta has an outside shot at the playoffs with their remaining schedule. They're not a great team, but if they can go 3-3 in the division (beating CAR or NO twice and the other once), they have a good shot to pick up 3+ more wins from a remaining schedule that has JAX, DET and SF on it. They could also surprise some good teams like DAL, BUF or TB who are still on the schedule. They're still 0-1 in the division as we speak and 1-3 in the conference. Eventually, Arthur Smith is gonna figure out NFC play and have this team win a couple of good games that they shouldn't.

I could see this team sneaking in.
NFCW: Cards or Rams seem like a lock for a WC birth. 49ers and Seahawks aren't in a good position
NFCN: Packers are on pace for winning it. Vikings/Bears could be competition for a WC. Lions seem to be out.
NFCE: Cowboys are on pace for the division. Rest of the division is tied at 2-5.
NFCS: Bucs are on pace to win the division. Aints seem to be the direct competition for a WC. I don't have much faith in the Panthers salvaging their season.

A LOT can still change but right now I'd say there are 2 WC spots to be divided between  the Vikings, Bears, Saints, 49ers and us. Those aren't horrible odds if you ask me. IMO the win against the Dolphins was pretty telling. It wasn't pretty but it was a win and being able to grind those out is important. We're going to be running into some losses so I hope the team will be able to bounce back from those properly down the road.

10 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

I could see this team sneaking in.
NFCW: Cards or Rams seem like a lock for a WC birth. 49ers and Seahawks aren't in a good position
NFCN: Packers are on pace for winning it. Vikings/Bears could be competition for a WC. Lions seem to be out.
NFCE: Cowboys are on pace for the division. Rest of the division is tied at 2-5.
NFCS: Bucs are on pace to win the division. Aints seem to be the direct competition for a WC. I don't have much faith in the Panthers salvaging their season.

A LOT can still change but right now I'd say there are 2 WC spots to be divided between  the Vikings, Bears, Saints, 49ers and us. Those aren't horrible odds if you ask me. IMO the win against the Dolphins was pretty telling. It wasn't pretty but it was a win and being able to grind those out is important. We're going to be running into some losses so I hope the team will be able to bounce back from those properly down the road.

Looking at the upcoming schedule:

Panthers - Can win, should win

Saints - Can win

Dallas - IDK, looks like it'd be tough and in Dallas. Probably a bad day

New England - Can win

Jaguars - Can win, Should win

Buccaneers - Can win, won't win

Panthers - Can win

49ers - Can win

Lions - Can Win

Bills - Bad day at the office

Sains - Can Win, but could be for the wild card berth. 

Falcons CAN win all but 2 of their remaining games. But the best case scenario is something like this:

W vs. CAR

L @ NO 

L @ DAL

W vs. NE

W @ JAX

L vs. TB

W @ CAR

W @ SF

W vs. DET

L @ BUF

W vs. NO

Finishing 10-7. Thank god for an easier schedule this year than what the Falcons had last.

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Looking at the upcoming schedule:

Panthers - Can win, should win

Saints - Can win

Dallas - IDK, looks like it'd be tough and in Dallas. Probably a bad day

New England - Can win

Jaguars - Can win, Should win

Buccaneers - Can win, won't win

Panthers - Can win

49ers - Can win

Lions - Can Win

Bills - Bad day at the office

Sains - Can Win, but could be for the wild card berth. 

Falcons CAN win all but 2 of their remaining games. But the best case scenario is something like this:

W vs. CAR

L @ NO 

L @ DAL

W vs. NE

W @ JAX

L vs. TB

W @ CAR

W @ SF

W vs. DET

L @ BUF

W vs. NO

Finishing 10-7. Thank god for an easier schedule this year than what the Falcons had last.

Pretty much agreed. Looking forward to the Dallas game though; it will be curious to see how Ryan will do against Quinn's scheme. Historically Ryan has done well against that scheme so should be fun to see. Worried about our defence costing us the game though :/ Would enjoy beating the Patriots. Would be the first time in Ryans career if I'm not mistaken. After that I think its only the Steelers that he hasn't beaten yet.

6 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Pretty much agreed. Looking forward to the Dallas game though; it will be curious to see how Ryan will do against Quinn's scheme. Historically Ryan has done well against that scheme so should be fun to see. Worried about our defence costing us the game though :/ Would enjoy beating the Patriots. Would be the first time in Ryans career if I'm not mistaken. After that I think its only the Steelers that he hasn't beaten yet.

IF they win the next two, I'll be thinking they can beat Quinn. Quinn has a hard time designing for good RB receivers and good TEs.

• Like 1

Welp, that was an ugly game.

I mean Panthers always play us hard on defence so I should have seen it coming, but the way the defence just wasn't able to get anything done was just painfull to watch. Can't wait to waste my time reading how Matt Ryan is bad when he was under siege the entire game..

20 hours ago, iloxygenil said:

With Mayfield at LG and without Ridley… just absolutely BRUTAL

Mayfield played well. Matthews and Lindstrom had off days. Mayfield graded well and did his job. Lindstrom couldn't handle the size and strength of Derrick Brown. Matthews couldn't handle Burns speed. But I guess you just hate the guy because you don't know what you're looking at.

Jalen Mayfield played his best game of the season this past week against the biggest rivals holding at bay a good New Orleans DL. The OL as a whole honestly played it's best game. Stick with these guys and they will end up being a good line for multiple years.

18 hours ago, scar988 said:

Jalen Mayfield played his best game of the season this past week against the biggest rivals holding at bay a good New Orleans DL. The OL as a whole honestly played it's best game. Stick with these guys and they will end up being a good line for multiple years.

Agreed. Pass blocking seemed really clean compared to the Panthers game. Run blocking wasn't great but it seemed like the Saints were stacking the box and daring Ryan to beat them by the air so ehh, good enough. Cowboys are going to be an intresting matchup. I'd expect Ryan to have the edge against DQ scheme wise (he practiced against it for years while DQ hasn't faced AS's scheme daily). But who knows, maybe he'll know some tells that will really help the Cowboys. I'm mostly worried about the defence getting mauled by the Cowboys Oline en Zeke in the running game. Front 7 hasn't been great at stopping the run so far this season.