The Ugly, The Ugly & The Ugly Vs BUF

raidr4life

Good:

The first drive.

Carr's protection looked solid again - I mean, nothing special, but at least we didn't give up any sacks or put him in danger like before the KC game, so at least we seem to have fixed that aspect of the offense.

Ehhh, I'm really struggling for anything else here, guys. We put up some garbage time stats?

Bad:

LeSean McCoy destroyed us on the ground - you could maybe argue that this should be in the "ugly" section, but considering he's a damn good player and there's plenty other ugly things, that can come up here. Some of the holes he had to run through, though... ugh.

Derek Carr - accuracy way off numerous times.

Offensive playcalling - far too much dink & dunk, especially later in the game when we really needed points.

Marquette King - I know he was nursing an injury, but that was a poor display of punting.

Ugly:

Just about everything else.

They looked like they've never played a game in the rain before in their lives - I have no idea why the weather affected us so much more than it did the Bills, but it did, and it was terrible to watch. Players constantly slipping, fumbles all over the place, and a general inability to adapt to the conditions.

The interception record is becoming an utter embarrassment. Literally half the season gone and we haven't recorded a pick, when the team we were playing today has 3+ takeaways in all of their last 4 games. You cannot win football many games with such a pathetic turnover statistic.

Outcoached again - in just about every facet of the game.

We got pretty much stomped today, and the thing that's really frustrating about it is that I don't think the Bills are a particularly great team. Better than us, no doubt, but at this point that's not difficult. But really, there's absolutely no excuse for that manner of defeat today.

Good - 

Luani made a couple nice plays. Did make the one mistake on the long Holmes catch, but that's expected for a rookie safety. Look forward to seeing him more especially since this season is lost.

I thought Bruce Irvin played well. Made some plays in the backfield, caused a couple holding penalties.

Corey James played great. Was everywhere today. 

Bad

Derek Carr - Back to a checkdown machine in this one. His favorite route was the dumpoff to one of our midgets. I just expect more from our 125$ QB. We scored on the first drive and basically went 3 quarters punting or turning the ball over. That shouldn't happen against a team missing 2/4 of its secondary. He was 2016 DC for last week, now he's back to 2017 DC which is a good player but not good enough to win games for this uber flawed team.

Richard/Washington - Both failed spectacularly to take the job from Marshawn. Back breaking turnovers from both of them. And let's just be honest, neither of them are good runners. 

Defense allowing Taylor to extend plays and not get any pressure. Dude had all the time in the world to do pirouettes in the pocket and find open guys down field. Khalil Mack has been meh for his standards the last month.

Ugly

How apparently unprepared this team was to play in the rain. The conditions heavily affected this team. Comedy of errors out there today.

Turnovers - Bills fans said they would force turnovers and boy were they right.

Special teams. Richard fumble, Patterson fumble, Giorgio botching the penalized kickoff, King not being 100% today, flag on our biggest return of the day. Just ugly all around.

Todd Downing - Offense returned all but one starter from last year's team. And we regress this bad? Unacceptable. Take out Carr's superman game last week, and this is who this offense is this year. They are hot garbage who can't stay on the field.  Greg Knapp > Downing 

Offense stat padding with garbage time stats - That really pissed me off for some reason. The O sucked all day and then all of a sudden want to start showing urgency moving the ball when the game was over. I was glad when Carr threw the last pick. Gtfo the field bums

The fumbles and the INT really killed the game. Was a tie game and that blew it open.

Have not really been able to run the ball all year. Not sure what changed there. The defense played well enough to win, but when the offense is consistently putting them in bad spots, keeping them on the field, etc. we knew what they were. Bend, don't break, which can be good enough to win with a good offense. 

Really the offense has killed this season not the defense. 

Good:

- Luani had an impressive debut. Was late on the Holmes catch but otherwise made the right reads and was a sure tackler. He and Joseph could make a nice tandem next season 

- For the first three quarters the d-line brought pressure. Unfortunately Tyrod's amazing elusiveness negated it, but against other quarterbacks we would have had at least three or four sacks.

- Lack of turnovers aside the defense played well under excruciating circumstances. Can only hold a team so long before lack of rest catches up

Ugly:

- Atrocious clock management on the drive where Washington fumbled. Heavy rain and we're playing like we have no timeouts when we could have used them to get reset, dry up and be methodical. Bad enough that the sideline didn't call one but worse that Carr didn't take charge there. 

- Last week's offense was a mirage. I have zero idea what Downing's offensive goals are, and I'd feel better if I knew even with how bad the failure is. Our biggest playmakers are not given the shots downfield even when protection holds up. Too many shotgun draws and quick timing passes on the line of scrimmage (in the rain!!!). 

- Both Richard and Washington were awful when we needed them most: running the ball in a tough environment. O-line didn't make it easy for them like last season but there were opportunities there. The fumbles were a nugget on their turd sundae. 

- Del Rio's outlook. I don't place the brunt of the offensive mess on him since it's not his forte, but he's responsible for trusting in Downing and his philosophies (whatever they are). Gives me zero confidence to trust him to bring someone in to fix this at the end of the season

It's always trendy to blame the OC, but in this case it's the only logical explanation. Out offense stayed almost exactly the same personnel as last year, the OC was the only change, and our offense went from top of the league to middle / middle bottom of the league overnight. What gives Downing?

3 minutes ago, Dodo said:

- Del Rio's outlook. I don't place the brunt of the offensive mess on him since it's not his forte, but he's responsible for trusting in Downing and his philosophies (whatever they are). Gives me zero confidence to trust him to bring someone in to fix this at the end of the season

This is the big problem with firing one or both of Downing/Norton, but keeping Del Rio.  How can you trust him to fill either position when he mistakenly (1) fired Musgrave, (2) promoted Downing and (3) hired and held onto Norton for too long?

11 minutes ago, NickButera said:

It's always trendy to blame the OC, but in this case it's the only logical explanation. Out offense stayed almost exactly the same personnel as last year, the OC was the only change, and our offense went from top of the league to middle / middle bottom of the league overnight. What gives Downing?

Actually, our personnel has improved substantially in terms of adding Cook, who's a pretty legit threat as a TE.

i hate being right. I knew the Raiders came on for the chiefs game and that they would revert back to playing weak once that game was over. Truth is the Raiders are a 9-7 team. Sure they can eek a win out against great teams but they can't consistently play great. I honestly hope they lose the rest of their games and get a top pick. The season is lost even if the Raiders fire Downing I doubt that there's anyone better on the staff. 

30 minutes ago, 808sinfour4time said:

This is the big problem with firing one or both of Downing/Norton, but keeping Del Rio.  How can you trust him to fill either position when he mistakenly (1) fired Musgrave, (2) promoted Downing and (3) hired and held onto Norton for too long?

He should be gone as well.

37 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

He should be gone as well.

Crazy that in light of last year THIS is where were at... but it's true... unless the other teams in our division struggle and we somehow make the playoffs (but we can't even move the ball so that's not gonna happen) ... this is what should happen at the end of the season. The teams evidence of being outcoached and thereby underachieving is worthy of such a reaction. 

If the down Spiral continues who do u guys think gets pulled first... KNJ or Downing?.. and if it comes to JDR at the end of the season you think it'll be RM or M.D. that makes the call?

Archived