Let's Talk Interim Head Coach Rich Bisacci

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Just because they had a top 10 passing offense, doesn't mean they didn't play conservative. A lot of that was playing from behind with their poor defense as well. 

Every time the team had a lead in the 4th quarter, the play calling got really tight. Miami this year as an example. Heck, last week against the Bears. They hit a couple chunk plays in the passing game. Got into opponent territory and the next 2 calls were runs up the middle. Set up 3rd and long and punt. Everyone in the stadium knows the first play call of the game or second half is going to be a basic run call. 

He was stubborn to a fault with the run. Terrible in the red zone where he'd tighten up. Between the 20's the team could put up yards and make plays. There was no consistency over 4 quarters. The last 11 games, they haven't scored on their first possession. And he'd still be calling up runs and short passes.  

This is a fair point until you look at the fact that now that our defense is better and were actually top 5 in passing

I think I've actually explained this before at some point in the off-season. .But when your defense is bad you don't want clock time for them at the end of the game so what you're trying to do if you're trying to bleed the clock so the defense doesn't have to be on the field long enough. Feel like a good example of not doing that was in the second Chiefs game where we score too fast the cheifs do what they do against what was our hot knife through butter defense last year

So the Miami game I actually thought that was a smart move to bleed the clock, spend their time outs and make a back up quarterback have to go to the length of the field with one time out. What the problem actually was we got back on defense for some reason we play prevent and they march all the way up the field. The defense did the same exact thing against the Bears on a key 3rd down play they played prevent for no reason got the first down on like 3rd and like 12(which in my opinion could've been the difference in the game if they got the stop)

I'm an offensive perspective, the Bears game was a sloppy game by the personnel on the field first and foremost before you even look at playcalling imo. Dropped balls miss blocks throwing the ball into double coverage crazy amount of penalties. It just wasn't a clean performance bottom line. On defense we gave up 143 rushing yards do a pair of back up running back's. 

42 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I personally never had a problem with Gruden at the play caller or as a head coach in general. 

My issue was just let Mike Mayock be the GM and make all of the front offense decisions(which is what we're getting now)

They also should've let Paul Gunther go a long time ago which I think we're all seeing now

Respectfully disagree. Gruden was too vanilla as a play caller and didn't have any balls.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Tony Sparano vibes with Bisaccia. I can see the team playing for him.

We’ve got a better roster now than we did when Sparano took over also.

Not expecting fireworks, but also don’t think he’ll be a disaster either.

I’m expecting a huge improvement from the Raiders. Rich is an excellent coach and him finally getting his chance is going to be fire. I fully think he will win the job permanently. If not; I expect he shows enough to where a team that needs a total culture shift gives him the reins. Really happy this dude is getting his shot finally. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leoric said:

I’m expecting a huge improvement from the Raiders. Rich is an excellent coach and him finally getting his chance is going to be fire. I fully think he will win the job permanently. If not; I expect he shows enough to where a team that needs a total culture shift gives him the reins. Really happy this dude is getting his shot finally. 

interesting

Ironically, I hired him as the Oakland Raiders coach once. I think it was Madden 05 or something, where you could hire coordinators and retired players even came back as coach options. 

Rich Bisaccia was HC and I had Tom Brady as OC and Nick Saban as DC. 

I also had Matt Mauck as the all-time TD and passing yards leader by about a mile, which just confirms it was all a dream lol.

13 minutes ago, Leoric said:

I will say that this is a very unique situation and that this is not a bad roster it's not the end of the season and if you check the playoff picture currently we're still like the fifth seed out of seven seeds

So I think it's interesting that it seems like everybody in the actual football world raves about the Rich B. guys leadership

54 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

You can't have balls when when the defense lets the other team score in 30 seconds

There are times to take the points and times to go after it.  If you are facing a team that is starting to pull away from you you have to start getting more aggressive.  It is all situational and I think Carr and Gruden lacked that feel for the moment.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

There are times to take the points and times to go after it.  If you are facing a team that is starting to pull away from you you have to start getting more aggressive.  It is all situational and I think Carr and Gruden lacked that feel for the moment.

Yeah sure but I feel like a lot of teams have moments like that all the time.

Obviously he's not the coach anymore so it doesn't matter. I just think(I have always thought) the whole conservative thing is over blown that's all.

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Obviously he's not the coach anymore so it doesn't matter. I just think(I have always thought) the whole conservative thing is over blown that's all.

I get your point.  When I watched the games I got the conservative vibe but then we put 30.  My main issue is the TD to red-zone percentage.  A lot of missed opportunities there.  That could be conservative, bad play calls, bad execution, or penalties.  No matter what Grudens teams from his first coaching job here to this one he has kept close to the same ratio.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I don't think so. Gruden got super conservation instead of putting his foot on their neck when the offense was rolling to a big lead.

• Like 1

I think the upcoming game will be telling. 

I feel like we need new clean slate next season, but my feeling isn't entirely firm on that point. 

I'm interested in how Olson will do as OC without Gruden actually calling stuff. I actually hope they let Carr have more control and let him prove himself or not. It won't be long before we should be looking for the QBOTF, but if Carr does well enough, keeping him around makes the future much easier to navigate. 

It's a unique situation all around. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I get your point.  When I watched the games I got the conservative vibe but then we put 30.  My main issue is the TD to red-zone percentageA lot of missed opportunities there.  That could be conservative, bad play calls, bad execution, or penalties.  No matter what Grudens teams from his first coaching job here to this one he has kept close to the same ratio.

Now see that's a valid point(although last year they were top 10 in scoring also). But the offensive line hasn't really been the best since Gruden has been here. They had one really good year in 2019. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

I think the upcoming game will be telling. 

I feel like we need new clean slate next season, but my feeling isn't entirely firm on that point. 

I'm interested in how Olson will do as OC without Gruden actually calling stuff. I actually hope they let Carr have more control and let him prove himself or not. It won't be long before we should be looking for the QBOTF, but if Carr does well enough, keeping him around makes the future much easier to navigate. 

It's a unique situation all around. 

A key going to keep in mind is that Greg Olsen has been a good play caller in this league when the roster has been competent. He has a good history of using TITAN INS well and working well with quarterbacks. Also expect to see a lot more play action. 

That being said it's still going to be Gruden's offense. That is something to keep in mind

4 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I don't think so. Gruden got super conservation instead of putting his foot on their neck when the offense was rolling to a big lead.

How many times have we had a big lead since Gruden has been here? 

Then when the defense gets scored on really quickly the strategy is different. The focus becomes left on scoring quick and more on scoring last which requires you to take time off of the clock and try to get the other team to call timeouts

Edited by Jeremy408