Sean Taylor number retirement this Sunday

naptownskinsfan

My reaction to this comes in two shades. 

On one hand, it’s a huge honor for Sean and sort of a landmark thing for those of us who were deeply affected by his passing. I’ve mentioned in the past that Sean dying was a substantial part of a fairly significant personal spiral I went through around that time. It was just so senseless, so utterly lacking any reason, explanation, or understanding. Someone so young, so brilliant, so seemingly indestructible — snuffed out, just like that. Probably the first time I really ever had to face up to my own mortality, because I too was young and brash and talented and sometimes reckless, and if it could happen to a demigod like Sean Taylor, it could certainly happen to me. Losing him, seeing the pain in his lady and his father and his teammates/best friends, knowing that his daughter would grow up without her dad and only hear the legends everyone else would whisper about — all that is still seared onto my heart, always will be. 

So from that perspective, knowing that he’ll be honored — not just for his contributions during his life but for the haunting legacy of everything that we know could have been — it’s a very special thing. 

But...

The fact that they’re playing the Sean Taylor card to try to combat bad press, rushing this ceremony to try to hide their evil doings behind a wave of emotions and love and continued grief for this young man struck down in his prime? It’s appalling. It’s par for the course with them. But it’s absolutely grotesque all the same. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

My reaction to this comes in two shades. 

On one hand, it’s a huge honor for Sean and sort of a landmark thing for those of us who were deeply affected by his passing. I’ve mentioned in the past that Sean dying was a substantial part of a fairly significant personal spiral I went through around that time. It was just so senseless, so utterly lacking any reason, explanation, or understanding. Someone so young, so brilliant, so seemingly indestructible — snuffed out, just like that. Probably the first time I really ever had to face up to my own mortality, because I too was young and brash and talented and sometimes reckless, and if it could happen to a demigod like Sean Taylor, it could certainly happen to me. Losing him, seeing the pain in his lady and his father and his teammates/best friends, knowing that his daughter would grow up without her dad and only hear the legends everyone else would whisper about — all that is still seared onto my heart, always will be. 

So from that perspective, knowing that he’ll be honored — not just for his contributions during his life but for the haunting legacy of everything that we know could have been — it’s a very special thing. 

But...

The fact that they’re playing the Sean Taylor card to try to combat bad press, rushing this ceremony to try to hide their evil doings behind a wave of emotions and love and continued grief for this young man struck down in his prime? It’s appalling. It’s par for the course with them. But it’s absolutely grotesque all the same. 

The bolded is what I think it going on. It's another ploy by Snyder to milk whatever remaining emotional attachment that lifelong fans have for the team.

Reposting this from the GDT:

Should've been done a LONG time ago. This is just misdirection right now to throw attention off the call for the NFL to release the particulars of the investigation. And it's actually disrespectful to Sean the way it's being handled.

• Like 1

The timing is hard to ignore.  If we are gonna point fingers, maybe it should be at Tanya Snyder since she is currently in the big office.  But Jason Wright is supposed to be managing this kind of decision.  Does he not realize from his vast business school training that the timing is gonna piss some people off?  

I tend to give Dan Snyder the benefit of the doubt on this topic as I always thought he handled Taylor's death appropriately and with genuine remorsefulness.  

Personally, the concept of retiring the number is a bit much for me.  I always really appreciated what they did with Sean Taylor's locker.  I think that was a beautiful symbol and such a meaningful thing to do.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wonder who's call it was? Dan, I'd understand, he's clueless. If this was Jason though... I'd be disappointed.

As far as I can tell, we now have a professional business infrastructure in place as far as management goes.  But it just seems like they can't make smart decisions no matter who they hire there.  

In this case, whether this was Snyder's idea or not, Jason Wright should have stepped in and said bad optics.  So Wright either failed at his job or Snyder ignored him.

With the RV issue you see the same thing.  In response to the wilkinson investigation, we hired a professional HR presence.  It sounds like if anything they went over the top in this respect.  So when they found out that RV was under federal investigation this summer the HR staff should have been apprised of this situation.  Then they would naturally recommended some kind of suspension/administrative leave.  So either the HR staff weren't informed of the investigation.  The HR people suck and didn't recommend a proactive cautious route.  Or they did, and Rivera ignored them.

• Like 1

One of the toughest things about the current situation is seeing Ron Rivera and Jason Wright — two guys who by all accounts are extremely competent, principled, respectable, decent men — having to carry water for the Snyders and stoop to the level of what this organization once was in order to try to clean up that mess. 

These guys deserve better than having to spend all their time frantically bailing in a desperate effort to keep a mostly sunken ship afloat.

• Like 4