Sean Taylor number retirement this Sunday

naptownskinsfan

The only other thing I’ll say, before I spend my whole day being mad over this, is this whole thing is page one out of the Snyder playbook. The minute that things look truly bleak, Snyder tries to trot out some piece of Redskins history, something that anchors us back to the team. It’s been Joe Gibbs, it’s been Doug Williams, it’s been Bruce Allen’s ties to his father, now it’s this. Dan knows he’s done absolutely nothing himself that could remotely be spun as a positive, so he does the only thing he can, desperately try to pull on our heart strings and nostalgia so maybe we ignore what’s under our noses one more time - that this team is disastrously incompetent at best, and devious and immoral at worst. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One of the toughest things about the current situation is seeing Ron Rivera and Jason Wright — two guys who by all accounts are extremely competent, principled, respectable, decent men — having to carry water for the Snyders and stoop to the level of what this organization once was in order to try to clean up that mess. 

These guys deserve better than having to spend all their time frantically bailing in a desperate effort to keep a mostly sunken ship afloat.

Like I said before, the league had their opportunity to get rid of the Snyder’s. It was served up on a silver platter to remove one of the most toxic owners in sports and they botched it completely. They allowed him to be the victim and rewarded him with purchasing the rest of the team at what appears to be a steep discount. He didn’t even have the capital to qualify for the loan but they waived that as well. What we as fans should be going through right now is a sale of a franchise. I still think there’s a chance it could happen if the emails are released but I’m not holding my breath. 

I think part of the reason Snyder tried so badly to get the rest of the team is so if he is forced to sell he’ll make an exorbitant amount of cash and not have to split the pie. I also believe we had to wait so long for a new name just in case the league decided to force the sale of the team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The only other thing I’ll say, before I spend my whole day being mad over this, is this whole thing is page one out of the Snyder playbook. The minute that things look truly bleak, Snyder tries to trot out some piece of Redskins history, something that anchors us back to the team. It’s been Joe Gibbs, it’s been Doug Williams, it’s been Bruce Allen’s ties to his father, now it’s this. Dan knows he’s done absolutely nothing himself that could remotely be spun as a positive, so he does the only thing he can, desperately try to pull on our heart strings and nostalgia so maybe we ignore what’s under our noses one more time - that this team is disastrously incompetent at best, and devious and immoral at worst. 

Its far worse than you state.

Within 48 hours of emails from the WFT investigation getting leaked, the team announces the retirement of Sean Taylor's number. Sean Taylor is probably the only real player connection that any modern WFT/Redskins fan has in the last 20 years.

Its not coincidence. Its absolutely planned.

There is one thing that Dan Snyder fears. He doesn't care about winning or losing. He doesn't care about the traditions. He doesn't care about losing money. He only cares about owning the team.

And once you own a team, its actually pretty hard to get removed. The commissioner has to first bring it to the owners, and then three fourths of the owners' executive committee have to vote yes. This is the one of the last bastions of the good old boys club. A lot will be forgiven. Maybe a slap on the wrist handed out for publicity, but by and large, they dont care, because they do sordid things behind closed doors.

But what would force their hand would be organized, public outrage. The kind that gets fermented and ignited by the release of a trove of emails and reports out of an investigation into a team actively sex trafficking their dancers and cheerleaders. Particularly if emails made clear the owner of that team was aware of what was happening and did nothing to stop it. 

The kind of public outrage about that wouldn't just go away. There would be loss of sponsorships and ad revenue. There would be boycotts, not just in DC but everywhere. There would be an overwhelming flood of bad press for the NFL as a whole. 

The owners couldn't let that happen. It might take a while, but they would vote Snyder out. 

Dan Snyder knows this. And he activated a plan to not only pull in the heartstrings of a dying fanbase, but enrage them at something else to distract them. Right as everyone was asking why they haven't released all the other details, the WFT announces the retirement ceremony of one of its beloves, fallen sons.

And Dan Snyder is absolutely that much of a cold, calculating bastard.

• Like 6

I'm sorry, but that is a complete BS answer from JWright. 

For the Breast Cancer Awareness week (something they planned well in advance) they passed out 40k pink towels.

Know how many #21 towels they procured for this weekend's event?

10k towels.

That's it!!!

The sheer math and the magnitude of the recent supply chain issues they might be having points to this whole thing  as a

"Oh crap we need to throw attention off the emails!!!"

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Like I said before, the league had their opportunity to get rid of the Snyder’s. It was served up on a silver platter to remove one of the most toxic owners in sports and they botched it completely. They allowed him to be the victim and rewarded him with purchasing the rest of the team at what appears to be a steep discount. He didn’t even have the capital to qualify for the loan but they waived that as well. What we as fans should be going through right now is a sale of a franchise. I still think there’s a chance it could happen if the emails are released but I’m not holding my breath. 

I think part of the reason Snyder tried so badly to get the rest of the team is so if he is forced to sell he’ll make an exorbitant amount of cash and not have to split the pie. I also believe we had to wait so long for a new name just in case the league decided to force the sale of the team. 

You know. I was thinking about this on the way home with my son tonight. We've been seeing the game day experience be nickel and dimed even more than usual. @naptownskinsfanand I have shared our experiences about how the stadium is unprepared and looks like not much $$ or effort was put into the things that used to be givens there. 

I wonder if he knows he's gonna sell sometime within a decade and is accumulating as much cash as possible for when he hits the eject button. The nickel and dime stuff could also be to help fund the purchase of the remaining part of the team so it definitely ties in with what you're saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Its far worse than you state.

Within 48 hours of emails from the WFT investigation getting leaked, the team announces the retirement of Sean Taylor's number. Sean Taylor is probably the only real player connection that any modern WFT/Redskins fan has in the last 20 years.

Its not coincidence. Its absolutely planned.

There is one thing that Dan Snyder fears. He doesn't care about winning or losing. He doesn't care about the traditions. He doesn't care about losing money. He only cares about owning the team.

And once you own a team, its actually pretty hard to get removed. The commissioner has to first bring it to the owners, and then three fourths of the owners' executive committee have to vote yes. This is the one of the last bastions of the good old boys club. A lot will be forgiven. Maybe a slap on the wrist handed out for publicity, but by and large, they dont care, because they do sordid things behind closed doors.

But what would force their hand would be organized, public outrage. The kind that gets fermented and ignited by the release of a trove of emails and reports out of an investigation into a team actively sex trafficking their dancers and cheerleaders. Particularly if emails made clear the owner of that team was aware of what was happening and did nothing to stop it. 

The kind of public outrage about that wouldn't just go away. There would be loss of sponsorships and ad revenue. There would be boycotts, not just in DC but everywhere. There would be an overwhelming flood of bad press for the NFL as a whole. 

The owners couldn't let that happen. It might take a while, but they would vote Snyder out. 

Dan Snyder knows this. And he activated a plan to not only pull in the heartstrings of a dying fanbase, but enrage them at something else to distract them. Right as everyone was asking why they haven't released all the other details, the WFT announces the retirement ceremony of one of its beloves, fallen sons.

And Dan Snyder is absolutely that much of a cold, calculating bastard.

Agree on all of this. Which means that we need to focus on the prize. Which is the release of the investigation for public consumption. People were harmed. I want ALL of it released (redact victims' names of course) so we can see what happened. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm sorry, but that is a complete BS answer from JWright. 

For the Breast Cancer Awareness week (something they planned well in advance) they passed out 40k pink towels.

Know how many #21 towels they procured for this weekend's event?

10k towels.

That's it!!!

The sheer math and the magnitude of the recent supply chain issues they might be having points to this whole thing  as a

"Oh crap we need to throw attention off the emails!!!"

Actually, it makes sense to me. We’re lucky to get only 10,000 fans at the stadium. The 40,000 pink towels is over a month, not just one game.  Both #s seem low to me though and an incredibly sad reflection of the lows of interest in this team right now.

In 2007 at the Buffalo game there wasn’t an empty seat in the house. They had to have given away 90,000 towels that day, if not more like 100,000 including to venders, game day employees etc.

10 hours ago, mar29020 said:

jason write is basically a PR puppet. 

It’s definitely looking like that. I like that they have diversity in their front office with Jason as the team President but if he’s just going to be a nicer Bruce Allen aka a puppet for Dan, it’s not a great look.

They damn well better get the name right and the roll out better go well or this fanbase is really going to lose it!

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Actually, it makes sense to me. We’re lucky to get only 10,000 fans at the stadium. The 40,000 pink towels is over a month, not just one game.  Both #s seem low to me though and an incredibly sad reflection of the lows of interest in this team right now.

In 2007 at the Buffalo game there wasn’t an empty seat in the house. They had to have given away 90,000 towels that day, if not more like 100,000 including to venders, game day employees etc.

I know you are being facetious, but the attendance average is around 51,000.  For comparison’s sake, the capacity at RFK was 56,000.  The highest capacity at Fed Ex was 91,000.  So 80% of our current attendance has been the amount of seats they’ve removed/covered up and aren’t available for sale.  

Everyone got a towel that day.  With everything they are pulling off at the last minute given supply chain issues in the country and world right now- something I am pretty familiar with given work- there is no way that this happened on their timeline.  As a friend of mine said, this has always been in Snyder’s back pocket.  It is a “in case of emergency, break glass” scenario.  

The most celebrated player during his tenure, who tragically lost his life, deserves better than this…….a ceremony announced four days in advance, after another scandal has rocked the franchise.  

• Like 3

I’m so tired of honoring players while our team gets blown out that’s the opposite of honoring!!! It’s like thinking back to something great then watching this team look like Georgia St taking on Alabama and we’re State lol happy nobody will wear Sean’s number. Sadly we might lose by more then his number and that’s not how you honor someone. I really hope Ron can right this since were stuck with him and lieutenant Dan!!! It’s so hard to wonder how people get paid to do the things this team does!!!

• Like 1

It sucks for Rivera that others put him in this position to have to answer to Snyder & others continual screw ups, but Rivera asked for this when he came here. He should’ve know, that’s the advice that Joe Gibbs should’ve given Ron.

They should reschedule honoring Sean and retiring his number to Nov. 29th. That is a Monday night game so it’s a nationally televised game and it’s the closest date on their schedule to when Sean died on Nov. 27th.

For the record, I'm going to be at the game on Sunday. I had planned to surprise @SpawnOfWoz with tickets for his birthday, but had planned to wait until later to let the price drop. Then they announced this so I scrambled to get decent seats.

So I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I want to celebrate Sean. I want to let his family know that we, the fanbase, still care about him. On the other, I realize I'm dancing to Snyder's music by playing along. And I hate myself for it but I don't think I can skip it.

So, here's hoping I get a towel. The fact that I have to actually say that is yet another indictment of the team.

@Thaiphoon and @naptownskinsfan -- logistical question for you both: my son and I won't be tailgating, so should we Metro in (what stop do we get off at? I believe you said it's about a mile or so walk, Thai?) or should we drive in (where is a "reasonable" pay-to-park place as I don't have a parking pass? What's the cost)?