QB Prospect - Malik Willis

Just Want A Title

I have had a chance to watch Malik Willis a couple of times.  He may play at Liberty (transferred from Auburn)  He is definitely tough.  Syracuse threw everything but the kitchen sink at him.  He didn't get rattled, took pretty good care of the football and delivered strikes when he had the chance.  He shows good mobility and escapability.  He has good arm strength and accuracy.  He is a bit short at 6'1" but checks in at the 220-225 Lb range.  I don't think he has the same raw physical talent of someone like Trey Lance but he seems like a genuinely talented prospect.  I see him as needing a year to sit and learn but he seems like a legit QB talent that should be considered.  Right now most folks have him in early Rd 2 or late Rd 1 but QBs like him tend to rise as we get closer to the draft.  He is already being talked up a bit so he might go pretty early.  If we don't take a QB with our first pick, should be be taking a hard look at him with our second pick?  Thoughts?

Edited by Just Want A Title

I doubt he falls to our 2nd pick. Like you said, his stock will likely rise and someone will probably fall in love with him. Steelers seem to be the early favorites.

I've seen him go top 15 in quite a few mocks but I'm not seeing it yet. He really needs to work on accuracy and decision making from what I've seen but he is an amazing athlete with a cannon.

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

He won't fall to our second round pick. He's arguably the top QB prospect in what looks like a weak class. 

Not to mention that if you think a guy can play for you at QB, you have to draft them in round 1 to get that fifth-year option. 

Our second pick is still in round 1. 

19 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have had a chance to watch Malik Willis a couple of times.  He may play at Liberty (transferred from Auburn)  He is definitely tough.  Syracuse threw everything but the kitchen sink at him.  He didn't get rattled, took pretty good care of the football and delivered strikes when he had the chance.  He shows good mobility and escapability.  He has good arm strength and accuracy.  He is a bit short at 6'1" but checks in at the 220-225 Lb range.  I don't think he has the same raw physical talent of someone like Trey Lance but he seems like a genuinely talented prospect.  I see him as needing a year to sit and learn but he seems like a legit QB talent that should be considered.  Right now most folks have him in early Rd 2 or late Rd 1 but QBs like him tend to rise as we get closer to the draft.  If we don't take a QB with our first pick, should be be taking a hard look at him?  Thoughts?

He has been in discussions as of late as one of the top QB prospects and a likely 1st rounder. Even if he was available towards the end of round 1, I just don't see value in spending the draft capital on a QB this year. 

We still have Goff under contract and have major holes in other areas of the roster - WR, OG, Edge, LB, CB, S. There's always room for improvement in some other key areas. With the amount of draft picks that we have between 2022 - 2024, I would rather wait until 2023 or 2024 to select our QBOTF while building up the roster in the meantime. 

We could always sign a stop gap guy in free agency (just because they appear below, doesn't mean they WILL be available but more likely than someone like Joe Burrow or Kyler)

2023 - Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, Taylor Heinecke

2024 - Jalen Hurts, Tua

The 2021 rookie class (Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, etc.) will become FA's in 2025 and it's possible that a team like the Jags bungles their rebuild around TL and he wants out. Lawrence is a guy that can be injected onto a strong roster to compete for a long time. That's a trade that could be made in 2023 or 2024. It would be costly with multiple 1st's but by the time we get there, we should have used up a lot of our draft capital over the next 2-3 drafts to build up the talent on cheaper contracts using mid-round picks. 

I think I just want to avoid QB this year.  Nobody excites me.  Willis is the most exciting and as most have said, will likely need to spend a top 3 pick on him.  Corral has been good as well this year he likely will move up.  Howell is falling but he might be around at the end of the 1st and I like Ridder but not sure I want to spend a first on him.  Strong has been good but again, not world beating IMO.  Slovis has fallen off and likely should stay another year but if h comes out and is there in the 3rd I would like to draft him at least to be a backup.  

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think I just want to avoid QB this year.  Nobody excites me.  Willis is the most exciting and as most have said, will likely need to spend a top 3 pick on him.  Corral has been good as well this year he likely will move up.  Howell is falling but he might be around at the end of the 1st and I like Ridder but not sure I want to spend a first on him.  Strong has been good but again, not world beating IMO.  Slovis has fallen off and likely should stay another year but if h comes out and is there in the 3rd I would like to draft him at least to be a backup.  

I'm fine taking a mid-round guy (4th-6th) and letting him compete with Blough for the back up role or hope that we find a Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott type/diamond in the rough kind of guy. I definitely don't want to add someone early on this year. 

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Willis may end the season as the top rated QB.

PersonallyI think it’s a mistake to get a QB this year.

We just watched Stafford for 12 years without adequate team support. Build the team then get a QB. Repeating the same failed blueprint is a losing strategy.

Agree 110%

Unlike most, I'd take a QB any year you think you have one or have the ability to get one. He's certainly raised my eyebrow. Playing well, looking like a Donavan McNabb 2.0.

Same knocks on both guys when they came out playing in/with small schools. 

I know everyone wants to build a team and plant a QB in here like we'll be able to just find one when the team is good. People have to ask who's gonna be the better player and who has more impact. If anyone thinks Willis will be a top 10 for his career you're crazy, literally crazy to pass on him.

That being said, he's look good, but we'll need to see his whole body of work, and for him especailly the bowl games/off season scrimmages and workouts mean a lot.

I'm pretty much on the DE/OLB Kavyon Thibodeaux, DE/OLB Adam Anderson, S Kyle Hamilton, QB Malik Willis right now. Lots of season/time to change things up.

I really like the theory of building the team up and planting in a QB when the teams more talented but alot of assumptions are made like, the guys you bring in actually make your team competitive to a level we're all talking about. Also that they'll be a QB available and be able to make the right choice. Building teams are hard, it's hard to win, the best way to win is with Talent. QB imo, is the most important position in all of sports. If you have a franchise type QB at your selection I think it's always wise to take the QB. Especially with a guy like Goff in front of him who I think would play through the BYE week before being re-evaluted... All that being said about QB you don't select one cause you need one when you and the scouts are sure about other players being better.

I'm not sure Malik Willis is that QB Lions should take top 5 if he's there and we're able to pick. Need to see more.

I like 3 players on the defensive side of the ball a lot that I mentioned above and especially think S Kyle Hamilton could give this defense an identity and leader. I'm not sure I love endorsing a S in the top 5 though honestly.......

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Unlike most, I'd take a QB any year you think you have one or have the ability to get one. He's certainly raised my eyebrow. Playing well, looking like a Donavan McNabb 2.0.

Same knocks on both guys when they came out playing in/with small schools. 

I know everyone wants to build a team and plant a QB in here like we'll be able to just find one when the team is good. People have to ask who's gonna be the better player and who has more impact. If anyone thinks Willis will be a top 10 for his career you're crazy, literally crazy to pass on him.

That being said, he's look good, but we'll need to see his whole body of work, and for him especailly the bowl games/off season scrimmages and workouts mean a lot.

I'm pretty much on the DE/OLB Kavyon Thibodeaux, DE/OLB Adam Anderson, S Kyle Hamilton, QB Malik Willis right now. Lots of season/time to change things up.

I really like the theory of building the team up and planting in a QB when the teams more talented but alot of assumptions are made like, the guys you bring in actually make your team competitive to a level we're all talking about. Also that they'll be a QB available and be able to make the right choice. Building teams are hard, it's hard to win, the best way to win is with Talent. QB imo, is the most important position in all of sports. If you have a franchise type QB at your selection I think it's always wise to take the QB. Especially with a guy like Goff in front of him who I think would play through the BYE week before being re-evaluted... All that being said about QB you don't select one cause you need one when you and the scouts are sure about other players being better.

I'm not sure Malik Willis is that QB Lions should take top 5 if he's there and we're able to pick. Need to see more.

I like 3 players on the defensive side of the ball a lot that I mentioned above and especially think S Kyle Hamilton could give this defense an identity and leader. I'm not sure I love endorsing a S in the top 5 though honestly.......

I don’t feel there is a QB worth a top 10 pick this year. I understand taking a top QB when one is available but is there really one available?

The only QB that interests me this year is Kentucky QB Will Levis but I expect he will rise and his selection likely won’t be worth it where he’s selected.

I am most interested in Caleb Williams but that’s a discussion for next year at the earliest.

When I look at the Lions roster there are such glaring deficiencies and given this isn’t a year with great QB talent I would prefer a hard pass.

I am firmly on the Thibodeaux, Neal, Stingley Jr., Hutchinson, Hamilton band wagon. Others will likely be worthy of discussion. Thibodeaux would be a great pick but we will have to wait for draft order to figure things out. If the Jags get the first overall pick due they tag Robinson again or take Neal? 

The argument for Lions fans will likely boil down to position value versus talent. If Neal is there do the Lions draft him or look elsewhere? If they pick second do they draft CB or Safety? I expect they want an edge rusher badly but if Neal is available do they take him and trade Decker?

This is going to be a very interesting draft.

They need an edge rusher and a true #1 receiver desperately.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:27 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I don’t feel there is a QB worth a top 10 pick this year. I understand taking a top QB when one is available but is there really one available?

The only QB that interests me this year is Kentucky QB Will Levis but I expect he will rise and his selection likely won’t be worth it where he’s selected.

I am most interested in Caleb Williams but that’s a discussion for next year at the earliest.

When I look at the Lions roster there are such glaring deficiencies and given this isn’t a year with great QB talent I would prefer a hard pass.

I am firmly on the Thibodeaux, Neal, Stingley Jr., Hutchinson, Hamilton band wagon. Others will likely be worthy of discussion. Thibodeaux would be a great pick but we will have to wait for draft order to figure things out. If the Jags get the first overall pick due they tag Robinson again or take Neal? 

The argument for Lions fans will likely boil down to position value versus talent. If Neal is there do the Lions draft him or look elsewhere? If they pick second do they draft CB or Safety? I expect they want an edge rusher badly but if Neal is available do they take him and trade Decker?

This is going to be a very interesting draft.

They need an edge rusher and a true #1 receiver desperately.

Yeah I'm not sure there is one. I'm with you. Hard Pass basically on everyone and Willis(imo) is the only dude maybe capable of changing my mind.

Neal is a huge man. He might have a better/longer career at LG. I'd easily draft Neal if my favorite defensive players aren't available.

Also, it's early but proofs in play. What are we going to do with Sewell. He looks really bad quite frankly. Do we as fans have to hope now he works out at RT, LG? It's looking pretty shaky. The pile of evidence/moves this staff is starting to string together might even look... bad you could say at this moment. Not fireable or anything just... they're looking like more bad/non-impact moves vs real moves being made so far.

I also think next year Lions won't have a guy like Tim Boyle as the back up. Lions will go out an search for a guy looking for a shot who can/could come in and take the job from Goff at the start of mid-point of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah I'm not sure there is one. I'm with you. Hard Pass basically on everyone and Willis(imo) is the only dude maybe capable of changing my mind.

Neal is a huge man. He might have a better/longer career at LG. I'd easily draft Neal if my favorite defensive players aren't available.

Also, it's early but proofs in play. What are we going to do with Sewell. He looks really bad quite frankly. Do we as fans have to hope now he works out at RT, LG? It's looking pretty shaky. The pile of evidence/moves this staff is starting to string together might even look... bad you could say at this moment. Not fireable or anything just... they're looking like more bad/non-impact moves vs real moves being made so far.

I also think next year Lions won't have a guy like Tim Boyle as the back up. Lions will go out an search for a guy looking for a shot who can/could come in and take the job from Goff at the start of mid-point of the year.

I think Sewell will be fine, long term. The kid didn’t play for a year, spent pre season at RT then got thrown into LT with insufficient preparation. It’s a perfect scenario for failure. He has real difficulty adjusting to inside moves and his footwork looks slow. He’s also confused about assignments at times. I still think he figures it out.

Im okay with what the staff have done. At the onset I felt two wins were the optimistic view and frankly at this point I’m not sure they win a game this season. We knew depth was an issue and we are seeing it play out real time with all the impact injuries.

The rookies are progressing especially the defensive tackles. St. Brown improves each week. Barnes has shown some ability. So while it looks bleak there are some positives. 

They need to continue what they started by trading Flowers Big V, and a few others.

Free agency and the draft will be important this year. They simply have to find a big time edge rusher, a number one receiver, a CB, safety, guard. It’s a big list!

Its neat you know people with the Bengals. Denver was my backup team for years because I knew Pat Bowlen from my Edmonton days. When he bought the Broncos it was really neat.

Now it’s the Rams. I was very perturbed yesterday that I couldn’t get the Rams game. Fox broadcast it but the Fox channels in my area carried the Lions Bengals.