QB Prospect - Malik Willis

Just Want A Title

9 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

This might be controversial... but I would be incredibly hesitant to draft someone from Liberty. The school itself is a potential character concern in my eyes. Religious schools in general aren't a problem, but that one is.

Although I agree completely with you on the administration of Liberty college, I think you have to separate the students from the administration and more specifically Falwell.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

This might be controversial... but I would be incredibly hesitant to draft someone from Liberty. The school itself is a potential character concern in my eyes. Religious schools in general aren't a problem, but that one is.

Never heard of anything regarding Liberty before - what is your concern specifically with Liberty (as compared to other religious schools)?

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Never heard of anything regarding Liberty before - what is your concern specifically with Liberty (as compared to other religious schools)?

Have to be careful when discussing this, but it is an extremely conservative religious school started by Jerry Fallwell.  Have to avoid politics and religion here so can't get into details.  

Falwell is crooked. Has nothing to do with the school, or religion, he just is. Google him and you will see/find all you need know. I also have several friends who went to Liberty, and they condemn the school (because of Falwell) as well. So....

To be specific, Falwell Jr is crooked, I can't speak of Sr.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Have to be careful when discussing this, but it is an extremely conservative religious school started by Jerry Fallwell.  Have to avoid politics and religion here so can't get into details.  

I think that the thing is that most of these guys didn't go to Liberty to "play school." Players end up at religious schools all the time just to play a sport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

Falwell is crooked. Has nothing to do with the school, or religion, he just is. Google him and you will see/find all you need know. I also have several friends who went to Liberty, and they condemn the school (because of Falwell) as well. So....

To be specific, Falwell Jr is crooked, I can't speak of Sr.

Ah ok, that's all I was curious about since it was Liberty specific (not religious schools on a broad basis). 

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

I think that the thing is that most of these guys didn't go to Liberty to "play school." Players end up at religious schools all the time just to play a sport. 

I mean - there's a ton of guys who have gone to/graduated from major colleges who can barely string together a proper sentence but excel in sports. I can appreciate that someone would go where there is an opportunity to try and achieve their dream playing professional sports. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Agreed, but typically, if you are going to Liberty, you don't plan on playing much after college so you should play school, and have some sort of idea what your school stands for.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

It's an evangelical and very conservative school so it's obviously dangerous territory. I don't really have a problem with either of those things, however.

I hold the opinion that the founders, many of the faculty, etc are 'con artists'. I worry that a student that chooses to attend Liberty does so in order to intentionally follow the footsteps of those con artists or might just be susceptible to them. It's just a character concern (*in my eyes). It's not something that I would rule a player out for, but I would certainly do a little extra digging.

21 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

If the character if a school was a concern, a lot of programs wouldn't have players drafted (Baylor, Florida, State, ect)

On 10/19/2021 at 10:01 PM, LionArkie said:

Sewell October 9, 2000

Rashawn Slater - March 26, 1999

what is that 18 months difference? He is so young. I also read an article some where saying they had to game plan against him more as they can’t run right at him. The different looks and moves he’s never seen before. I’m super confident he’s going to figure this out and be legit.

I agree. In the Bengals game he showed improvement. Much of what he is getting blamed for is because others made mistakes. Goff dropping back to far. The centre collapsing.

I agree with you that he will get there. 

On 10/19/2021 at 10:44 PM, nagahide13 said:

I think any school that has a belief based curriculum is dangerous.

13 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

If the character if a school was a concern, a lot of programs wouldn't have players drafted (Baylor, Florida, State, ect)

I know what you mean but I don't think it's comparable. I would also definitely do extra homework on any player I thought might have some baggage. I think Liberty is far worse. I think it's a predatory university with predatory faculty.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:46 AM, nagahide13 said:

I know what you mean but I don't think it's comparable. I would also definitely do extra homework on any player I thought might have some baggage. I think Liberty is far worse. I think it's a predatory university with predatory faculty.

One thing to consider:  Malik WIllis was recurited by Auburn and played there for two years.  He may have moved to get playing time.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 7:02 PM, Just Want A Title said:

One thing to consider:  Malik WIllis was recurited by Auburn and played there for two years.  He may have moved to get playing time.

Yeah, I think Willis being at Liberty is more a function of him wanting to start, not getting that opportunity at Auburn, and choosing to go play for Hugh Freeze in a spot where he could start.