What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

I've been on leave from work for a while now recovering from surgery and watched lots of series (and movies).

Party Down is hilarious. It's a shame it only lasted 20 episodes.

Entourage is watchable and funny for a few years, but it's hard to love it and the last 2-3 seasons are brutal at times.

I can't watch shows with laugh tracks anymore. It's so annoying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Brilliant television. I'm not the binge watching type, so it takes something pretty special to get me hooked. (5+ hours well spent)

It is brilliant television but it gets a lot of things wrong. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/06/06/why-hbos-chernobyl-gets-nuclear-so-wrong/#7d30e0fe632f

If you ant to know use the series as education it is advisable to watch the first and last episodes. The middle episodes are so filled with nonsense as to be little more than a horror show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TVScout said:

It is brilliant television but it gets a lot of things wrong. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/06/06/why-hbos-chernobyl-gets-nuclear-so-wrong/#7d30e0fe632f

If you ant to know use the series as education it is advisable to watch the first and last episodes. The middle episodes are so filled with nonsense as to be little more than a horror show.

there is 5, hour long podcasts from the writer that lets everyone know what they made up and what they stuck to the 'facts' about. it's real good and super popular. they aren't really hiding from the fact that a lot of it was dramatized. also, he got a lot of it about it from people's journal (and the such) and some of it is about the people's perception at the time more so than the actual correct science.

but it is kinda weird for a show whose main theme is 'the cost of lies' to dramatize to the extent it did lol

Edited by 11sanchez11

On 6/9/2019 at 1:32 AM, TVScout said:

I never do. If you want to learn the truth (Or best available facts) about something you need to research it. Even documentaries, which are by far the most reliable form of educational television, can be prone to inaccuracies & bias presented as fact.       

I was already aware of elements of creative license within the series (Example: Character ~ Ulana Khomyuk ) prior to sitting down & watching Chernobyl. To be honest, it's to be expected as writers & filmmakers often use the grey areas in-between the facts to spin a narrative & play with the audience's emotions.

Chernobyl is just a masterclass in weaving fact & fiction together to create compelling television.  

Edited by Marc MacGyver

On 5/29/2019 at 10:58 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Probably the right call to bail is some of the summaries are to be believed. 

Talk about two shows that need to be lovingly put down.

My wife watches it still (The Flash).  Every now and then i'll catch part of an episode with her.  Just catching a few episodes here and there, Grant Gustin acted pretty well in the earlier seasons - but these last few seasons, ouch.  He just doesn't even look like he cares.  The show is painful to watch.

6 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Chernobyl is just a masterclass in weaving fact & fiction together to create compelling television.  

The lecture during the trial in the final episode is right on the money. It explained the series of events in a way that is clearer and easier to understand that any thing that can be read.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyty said:

Catch 22 was fantastic, I loved it and am bummed it’s over. Is the book that heavy with satire and catch 22 scenarios?

oh man, you gotta read the book

yes and yes

its brilliant and hilarious

in my top 10 all time

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 1