What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

3 hours ago, Jetfan66 said:

The Wire. I always had this at the list of my must watch shows but the 60 hours of episodes always struck fear into me.

However, what a fantastic decision it has been. This show is outstanding.

I was also turned away by the 60 hours of episodes and just recently bit the bullet and watched it last winter. Holy smokes is it a ride - one of the best shows I've ever watched. 

• Like 3

While watching the final episode of Vietnam on PBS I was reminded of the quote "The second worse thing to losing a war is to win one" . That applies to most wars but I am not sure it applies to Vietnam. Hanoi sacrificed at one million KIA to accomplish exactly what?  Change the name of Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City? The  implementation of Stalinist policies caused economic collapse. Inflation reached 600%. Thousands died of cholera, dysentery,  typhus, and starvation.  Shortly after the North flag was raised over Saigon a boarder flare up started and evolved into a long term counter insurgency. That war came to be known as Vietnam's Vietnam. The Hanoi army lost almost as many KIA as the USA lost in the main war.After that Hanoi got sucked into Cambodia because of the Khmer Rouge. And in 1979 China invaded. The Ho gang promised peace and prosperity but provided the opposite.  The violence and suffering was so severe and protracted that the Vietnamese population won't talk about the war. Even amongst themselves. It is almost as if they are ashamed of themselves.  The country is riven with dissension. Nguyen Ngoc NVA ret. said  Vietnam is more divided now than it was even during the war. Some nation states are not natural and will eventually split. That happened after the cold war with the velvet divorce that created Czechia and Slovakia. I would not be surprised if the same thing happens in South East Asia.

The country is riven with dissension. Nguyen Ngoc NVA ret. said  Vietnam is more divided now than it was even during the war. Some nation states are not natural and will eventually split. That happened after the cold war with the velvet divorce that created Czechia and Slovakia. I would not be surprised if the same thing happens in South East Asia.

This is just not true. I have traveled through Vietnam and its quite homogenous for a nation that was in a Civil War so recently. Its economy is really picking up and I think its clearly developing faster than all its neighbors outside of Thailand. Its a great, great place with extremely friendly people and a culture that is warm as hell to Americans considering the recent history.

SE Asia is, for the most part, trending in a direction very far from your idea of breaking up into multiple nation states. In fact with the recent business in England (Scotland will soon vote for independence) and Catalonia in Spain, the SE Asian area looks comparatively more stable. Some issues for sure, but its doing fine.

Stalinist policies hurt Vietnam a lot, as did the crony capitalistic policies of the puppets we supported. But considering the gravity of the war, its done a tremendous job at overcoming past wounds and modernizing for the future. I don't see how anyone that has visited could see anything different.

Medici: Masters of Florence

A political family drama set in Florence in the early 15th century. Cosimo de Medici finds himself at the helm of his banking dynasty when his father, Giovanni, dies suddenly.

Story- As the description goes, this story starts immediately when Giovanni de'Medici (Dustin Hoffman) dies. Cosimo (aka Robb Stark) picks up where his father left off. Almost at once the story thrusts you into a political war between the Medici merchant family and a Noble family Albizzi. The story itself does not leave you with a ton of questions wondering why something happened and if it has a purpose. It is all pretty straight forward and paces the tension and schemes at a speed that wont pass you by leaving you confused about what's going on. It's fairly well written, considering Dustin Hoffman took part of it. It's not a bad show by any means. Most of the characters have developing back stories that are built upon with each episode which is how it should be. H/e the show has taken the liberty of not letting you know entirely whether or not someone committed a crime with a few schemes, which gives it some appeal and leaving you to decide whether or not that character is guilty. 

Dialogue- Dialogue is not overly witty, there is no comedic relief in this story. It focuses more on the distinct pace of the episodes and trying to fit in the right amount dialogue instead of trying to give you fillers of needless side quests, and spats between characters that serve no real purpose to the main story line. Most everything in one way or another deals with Cosimo and his quest of protecting and advancing his family business.

Acting- The acting is may be the best thing about this series. It has many notable and accomplished actors in it. That have developed a good chemistry with one another. They play off eachother well and do not leave alot to be desired with the characters, as what you see on the screen is probably the best you will get considering these are not showmen like a Walter White or a Tyrion Lannister. Very down to Earth characters which means the actors are not meant to take on larger then life personalities. 

Plot Direction- As I've stated before, it is pretty straight foward. None of the episodes leave you wondering what the point of it was, or whether or not it was needed. The directing has been very good for each episode, there are some twists to the story, some of which you might see coming. H/e the directors don't make it easy for you to spot which is a nice touch. 

This is a series I would recommend to the show cinema fan. It does not have the huge flares or anything extraordinary that would put it up there with the likes of Breaking Bad, GOT, The Wire and such. But it is a very solid show across the board, with an interesting enough story line that will keep drawn in for the entire season. Hoping they keep it going for at least 4 to 5 seasons. 

Rating- 7

21 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

This is just not true. I have traveled through Vietnam and its quite homogenous for a nation that was in a Civil War so recently. Its economy is really picking up and I think its clearly developing faster than all its neighbors outside of Thailand. Its a great, great place with extremely friendly people and a culture that is warm as hell to Americans considering the recent history.

SE Asia is, for the most part, trending in a direction very far from your idea of breaking up into multiple nation states. In fact with the recent business in England (Scotland will soon vote for independence) and Catalonia in Spain, the SE Asian area looks comparatively more stable. Some issues for sure, but its doing fine.

Stalinist policies hurt Vietnam a lot, as did the crony capitalistic policies of the puppets we supported. But considering the gravity of the war, its done a tremendous job at overcoming past wounds and modernizing for the future. I don't see how anyone that has visited could see anything different.

Do you speak fluent Vietnamese? That country is still a police state where freedom of speech doesn't exist. The people you spoke with could be lying under pressure from the secret police. 

I didn't write anything about SE Asia breaking up. The stability in Vietnam could easily be a facade erected by the dictatorship.

The economic recovery in Germany and Japan is far more impressive. WW2 caused more destruction in those nations than what happened to NVA. Most of the cities in Japan and Germany were completely leveled. NVA was almost untouched. 

On 9/5/2017 at 7:44 PM, ninerfanwheelz said:

Still slowly making my way through The Office and watching Ballers/Rick and Morty every week. Started Narcos and will watch BoJack Horseman once I'm done

Done with all of this, except have like 10 more episodes of The Office left. Will watch American Vandal and Ozark once I'm done

EDIT: And how could I forget Mr. Robot coming back. Pumped for that

Edited by ninerfanwheelz

On 9/30/2017 at 3:16 PM, devils1854 said:

Episode 4 of The Orville was definitely the best. I think Im going to ride with it for the rest of the season. Ive seen enough good.

Watched the first two episodes of Inhumans this morning and damn it was beyond bad. One of the worst openings for a show Ive seen in a long time. It was boring as hell. CGI was awful, and the choreography of the fights were flat out embarrassing.

I really love the Orville. The first two episodes were ok but the third episode did it for me. After episode 5 I went back and rewatched the first two episodes and enjoyed them a lot more. 

After watching the first two episodes of the inhumans I gave them a 5 (of 10) on IMDB. Hated everything about it but because I liked the actors in previous roles I gave episode 3 a try and found it much better. Since there are only 5 more episodes I’ll probably watch them.

My girlfriend and I just finished our long journey through Friends - took us probably about 8 months but I enjoyed it a lot more then I thought I would. We're planning on picking up Parks and Rec next.

I was shacked up sick yesterday from work and started F is for Family and thought it was absolutely hilarious. Definitely something I'll watch to the end. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

My girlfriend and I just finished our long journey through Friends - took us probably about 8 months but I enjoyed it a lot more then I thought I would. We're planning on picking up Parks and Rec next.

I was shacked up sick yesterday from work and started F is for Family and thought it was absolutely hilarious. Definitely something I'll watch to the end. 

Worth noting if you haven't heard this about Parks and Rec, but the first season is not all that good (not terrible, just not good). Stick with it through season 2.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

This show was a hidden gem. Wow, loved it.