What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

Finally got around to starting the second season of The Punisher.  Jon Bernthal is so good in that role, it'd be a mistake to not bring him over to the MCU along with Charlie Cox.  I think you could jettison the rest if you want to, but Ritter might be worth keeping as well.  On the third episode now and enjoying it.

Edited by THE DUKE

I grew up without cable (til 2009 lol) so on the off chance a show like Static Shock came on, I was stoked. Happened pretty seldom. It’s cool to see it’s on HBO Max. My spoiled kids will get to watch the entirety of it at once if they want. Hope it being on hbo gives it new life and they make a live action show about it 

I'm a few episodes into "The Brokenwood Mysteries" on AcornTV. (It is from New Zealand.)  

Enjoying it so far.  If you're someone who likes good mysteries, and even some intense (and often rather violent) dramas, AcornTV is a really solid app.  Tons of great series from the UK and Europe, along with Australia and New Zealand.  

Finished up Entourage. Thought there was 12 episodes instead of 8 so the ending kinda sucked just because I was expecting more. Kinda weird the girl decides to marry Vince despite everything she stood for going against making a decision like that lol. It’s cool Ari had a redemption at the end. E and Sloan were probably more likely to split again lol. I was kinda cross when I noticed Entourage the movie wasn’t on hbo for some reason until remembering I bought it like 6 years ago. I felt a significant fall off in quality the first time through the show years ago but this time around it was more tolerable I guess kinda cause I knew to expect a falloff but it wasn’t bad really.

Entourage was the easiest show to binge in a while. I could watch 4 hours of a half hour long show easily but 4 hours of an hour long show is just draining. 

Binge watching Meat Eater on Netflix. Love this show so much. I've only hunted a couple of times in my life and never actually got a kill. But I was Army Infantry and spent alot of time in the suck, sleeping on the ground, rucking miles upon miles, trench foot, living off the land. This show brings back memories of being one with nature and experiencing the great outdoors. Love how he goes into detail regarding the differing hunting laws in each state, the methods he uses, and then the payoff of the feast afterwards. Such a good show done in really good taste. 

22 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Finished up Entourage. Thought there was 12 episodes instead of 8 so the ending kinda sucked just because I was expecting more. Kinda weird the girl decides to marry Vince despite everything she stood for going against making a decision like that lol. It’s cool Ari had a redemption at the end. E and Sloan were probably more likely to split again lol. I was kinda cross when I noticed Entourage the movie wasn’t on hbo for some reason until remembering I bought it like 6 years ago. I felt a significant fall off in quality the first time through the show years ago but this time around it was more tolerable I guess kinda cause I knew to expect a falloff but it wasn’t bad really.

Entourage was the easiest show to binge in a while. I could watch 4 hours of a half hour long show easily but 4 hours of an hour long show is just draining. 

The entire series has such high replay value but those first 3 seasons are esp awesome.  It slowly falls in quality once Medellin wraps up (that season opener fake documentary episode is hard to watch) and even more so once Sasha shows up.  Also, I'll never understand why E would agree to giving Walsh final cut on the movie.  That frustrates me every time I rewatch it.

As far as the movie...

Spoiler

Agreed about Vince's quickie marriage making no sense.  There's no way that woman would've married him altho we see quickly in the movie what happens.  My biggest gripe with the movie was how they completely undid all the progress that E and Sloan finally achieved.  They went straight back to the same gimmick.  I also didn't understand how easily John Ellis undermined Ari just bcuz of one investor.  Haley Joel Osmont made a pretty funny bad guy in it tho.  Dude was thirsty for Emily Ratajkowski.

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

Warrior on HBO MAX:

warrior-default-1168429.jpeg

This is the best show you haven't watched yet. If you took Django Unchained, Gangs of New York and Enter the Dragon and turned the end result into 20 episodes, you'd have Warrior.

Based on short stories written by Bruce Lee, it's loosely based on the Tong Wars in San Francisco back in the 1880s - Tongs are Chinese immigrant gangs that run the black market trades, opium dens, brothels, etc. Two Tongs are deadlocked for influence in Chinatown, and both sides are waging war with plenty of collateral damage to account for. Law enforcement, government, industrial corporations, Irish settlers and neutral observers are all sucked into this war of attrition... Where seemingly everyone loses something crucial to their survival.

Several of the set-pieces are based on real people and events - the San Francisco Chinatown riots was a real event, where Irish settlers raided Chinatown and destroyed property and businesses for three days. The Chinese Exclusion act was actually passed by government once the Tong Wars escalated to bloody conflict. Characters such as Ah Toy and Dylan Leary are based on people in history (not sure if their actions line up with history, but... We're not aiming for a completely realistic retelling).

The cast is amazing - Andrew Koji is incredible as the Ah Sahm, the protagonist. He embodies Bruce Lee in an uncanny way; his mannerisms, bravado and technique are signature Bruce Lee, it's like watching Lee at the top of his game...

...which brings me to the fight choreography. Holy hell, this is the best fight choreography I've ever seen on a TV show, something you would expect from a big budget Marvel movie. Even the non-Kung Fu fights come off as incredibly authentic and violent, it's visually stunning.

It's a shame they only got two seasons done before the pandemic and Cinemax stopping all original content; This show was really hitting some high notes going into S3, I'm hoping that the move to HBO Max will give this show a rebirth as a streaming-only item on HBO Max. Warrior and The Flight Attendant would give HBO Max a 1-2 punch that compares with any sort of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Disney+ exclusive.

TL;DR - If you have HBO Max and you're not watching Warrior, you're wasting money.

• Like 2