What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

Mare of Easttown finale 

Spoiler

The first 30 mins focusing on great  characterization (and the emotional fallout following John’s arrest) instead of the reliance on twists was fantastic.  tbh I would’ve preferred the entire episode dealing with that instead of inserting a final twist.  The biggest problem is how this was revealed resorted to lazy writing again by having a character drop new & vital information with such ease (in this case tied to Glenn Carroll now having dementia? And to make it worse he even says he noticed 2 rounds were missing? 🤦🏻‍♂️).  I would have rather the kid Ryan just fold under all that pressure and reveal the burden he’s carrying than just awkwardly stumbling into this information).

That being said, the acting was off the charts good.  The way Mare’s voice buckled when calling in Ryan being wanted for a murder investigation just breaks your heart bcuz not only is his family close friends with hers, but she’s a mother who lost her son too.  Stellar acting all around in a very satisfying finale.  I’d still rank seasons 1 & 3 of True Detective ahead of Mare but it’s an excellent addition to the TV genre.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 5:16 AM, thrILL! said:

Mare of Easttown finale 

Hide contents

The first 30 mins focusing on great  characterization (and the emotional fallout following John’s arrest) instead of the reliance on twists was fantastic.  tbh I would’ve preferred the entire episode dealing with that instead of inserting a final twist.  The biggest problem is how this was revealed resorted to lazy writing again by having a character drop new & vital information with such ease (in this case tied to Glenn Carroll now having dementia? And to make it worse he even says he noticed 2 rounds were missing? 🤦🏻‍♂️).  I would have rather the kid Ryan just fold under all that pressure and reveal the burden he’s carrying than just awkwardly stumbling into this information).

That being said, the acting was off the charts good.  The way Mare’s voice buckled when calling in Ryan being wanted for a murder investigation just breaks your heart bcuz not only is his family close friends with hers, but she’s a mother who lost her son too.  Stellar acting all around in a very satisfying finale.  I’d still rank seasons 1 & 3 of True Detective ahead of Mare but it’s an excellent addition to the TV genre.

Pretty much spot on.  The writing not quite up to par, but the acting and direction were phenomenal.  Don't even bother nominating anyone else for the best TV actress Emmy/Golden Globe/whatever else award it's eligible for, Winslet has already won.

Spoiler

The "twist" was pretty weak and I saw it coming, but i'll be damned if that kid didn't sell it when he ran back into the house to his mom that it still got me emotional. 

The whole sub-plot with Dylan (long haired kid who wasn't the baby daddy) was kind of weird too.  Why was he threatening to kill Erin's friend?  Why did he want the journal burned?  First he steals the money, but then months later he gives it to the one taking care of DJ?  He still committed real crimes (obstruction of justice, menacing, assault, etc...) and he doesn't seem to have any consequences.  He was basically just a big red herring for the plot.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 5:16 AM, thrILL! said:

Mare of Easttown finale 

Hide contents

Spoiler

Glad someone else is talking about this. My biggest gripe was EASILY the part where you eluded to the actor now having dementia but not for that reason you stated. Help me understand the timeline. 

Dude says things are missing from time to time and says the gun was gone but then all of the sudden came back. No big deal.... my problem is the kid reads the text messages from his dad's phone to meet Erin at the park at midnight. We know Eric left the woods around 10:30 or so. Using this timeline, the kid goes to get the gun around what? 10:45? Probably gets there by 11 and goes to the park to hide out. He does the deed and then he said he returned the gun that night, right? So this old guy goes out to his shed after 11 PM to notice his gun is missing but then realizes it's back a couple day later? Did I make up something or is all of that true? If the latter, that is lazy AF! If the former, help me understand where I made a mistake lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Pretty much spot on.  The writing not quite up to par, but the acting and direction were phenomenal.  Don't even bother nominating anyone else for the best TV actress Emmy/Golden Globe/whatever else award it's eligible for, Winslet has already won.

Hide contents

The "twist" was pretty weak and I saw it coming, but i'll be damned if that kid didn't sell it when he ran back into the house to his mom that it still got me emotional. 

The whole sub-plot with Dylan (long haired kid who wasn't the baby daddy) was kind of weird too.  Why was he threatening to kill Erin's friend?  Why did he want the journal burned?  First he steals the money, but then months later he gives it to the one taking care of DJ?  He still committed real crimes (obstruction of justice, menacing, assault, etc...) and he doesn't seem to have any consequences.  He was basically just a big red herring for the plot.

Agreed w/ everything you wrote as well. His character made no sense to me.

Worst parts of Mare are ultimately the shortcut scripting crime shows do; the ole "red herring" moment where the characters actions only make sense in the context of creating doubt/swerve in the audiences mind; and aren't meant to be examined after post reveal. 

The worst part of any "who dun it" crime dramas. 

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:
  Hide contents

Glad someone else is talking about this. My biggest gripe was EASILY the part where you eluded to the actor now having dementia but not for that reason you stated. Help me understand the timeline. 

Dude says things are missing from time to time and says the gun was gone but then all of the sudden came back. No big deal.... my problem is the kid reads the text messages from his dad's phone to meet Erin at the park at midnight. We know Eric left the woods around 10:30 or so. Using this timeline, the kid goes to get the gun around what? 10:45? Probably gets there by 11 and goes to the park to hide out. He does the deed and then he said he returned the gun that night, right? So this old guy goes out to his shed after 11 PM to notice his gun is missing but then realizes it's back a couple day later? Did I make up something or is all of that true? If the latter, that is lazy AF! If the former, help me understand where I made a mistake lol

Spoiler

Yeah that timeline is very murky and the way John had to try to convince Billy that he actually killed Erin doesn’t make any sense beyond John trying to save his own skin.  Why would Billy come to the realization that he had killed Erin if he hadn’t?  It’s not the kind of thing you could forget.  And why would he want John to kill him and put him out of his misery in the river if he wasn’t the one who killed Erin?  Tbh they should’ve had Billy kill her (accidentally or on purpose) to try and protect John and the family to line up with that red herring of a conversation.

Another thing like you mentioned is the text Ryan saw on his dad’s phone.  And this was the burner phone or John’s actual phone?  Either way there’s an issue.   If it wasn’t his real phone, we’re supposed to believe that John spent money on a burner to hide this affair but doesn’t have a code for the lock screen???  So let’s say it’s his real phone and Ryan knows the code bcuz he plays Angry Birds on it or something, how did the cops not find the texts to and from Erin during the investigation?

23 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah that timeline is very murky and the way John had to try to convince Billy that he actually killed Erin doesn’t make any sense beyond John trying to save his own skin.  Why would Billy come to the realization that he had killed Erin if he hadn’t?  It’s not the kind of thing you could forget.  And why would he want John to kill him and put him out of his misery in the river if he wasn’t the one who killed Erin?  Tbh they should’ve had Billy kill her (accidentally or on purpose) to try and protect John and the family to line up with that red herring of a conversation.

Another thing like you mentioned is the text Ryan saw on his dad’s phone.  And this was the burner phone or John’s actual phone?  Either way there’s an issue.   If it wasn’t his real phone, we’re supposed to believe that John spent money on a burner to hide this affair but doesn’t have a code for the lock screen???  So let’s say it’s his real phone and Ryan knows the code bcuz he plays Angry Birds on it or something, how did the cops not find the texts to and from Erin during the investigation?

Spoiler

Agreed he said she called him on his real cell phone that night, so how did the cops not find that out. 

• Like 1