What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm real curious how their Lord of the Rings spinoff (based in the second age, around Gondolin?) will end up.  They are putting a ton of money, talent, and effort into it.

I’m hoping it’s good enough to green light a true adaptation of The Hobbit and LOTR.

One season per book, 4 seasons, a TRUE adaptation where what happens in the book happens in the series and what doesn’t happen in the book doesn’t happen in the series.

It’s been nearly 20 years since Return of the King released in theaters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd say their recent (within the last 3 years) of shows is great. Prior to that was more mediocre/miss than hit for me. 

I agree. I don’t even know what they had before lol

But I’ve seen The Boyz, Zero Zero Zero, Hunters, Good Omens, The Expanse, and their sports docuseries are all top notch. Carnival Row is okay, too, but not up to the level of those others yet.

Their Wheel of Time series looks fantastic, too, and will be released this fall.

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m hoping it’s good enough to green light a true adaptation of The Hobbit and LOTR.

One season per book, 4 seasons, a TRUE adaptation where what happens in the book happens in the series and what doesn’t happen in the book doesn’t happen in the series.

I’m always open to more LOTR but if you want the exact story as the book, just re-read it. 

3 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I’m always open to more LOTR but if you want the exact story as the book, just re-read it. 

Yeah, I tend to be in the "interpretation" camp when it comes to going from book to screen.

That said, i'd love 8-10 hours devoted to each book in series form where they would have some time to really flesh out more thematic elements from the books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Are the books a whole lot different from the movies? I liked the movies, but I’m not sure I like the genre enough to get through the books. 

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I don’t have 37 years.

13 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

Are the books a whole lot different from the movies? I liked the movies, but I’m not sure I like the genre enough to get through the books. 

Ehhhhh. Not really. I’m just still really Butt hurt they killed Haldir. At a battle he wasn’t even at.

Jackson also combined a lot of characters and cut some pretty exceptional characters completely.

I’ll be alright if they just do the bad guy right before Sauron. That one seemed to be the earthquake while Sauron was the aftershock anyway.

I would also be fine if they just did an adaptation right up until the moment they got Sauron the first time.

As far as reading the books, lol, if you don’t like fantasy don’t read them. They become a chore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

As far as reading the books, lol, if you don’t like fantasy don’t read them. They become a chore.

I've had the entire series since I got them for my 13th birthday. I've read like 45 pages of the first book. I just can't do Tolkien. Waaaaaaaaaaay too much intricate detail IRT the surroundings rather than the story. I'm not someone that can take a description from a book and imagine it when it's described so that's such a waste of time for me. So, naturally, Tolkien and I are not a good pairing. I just want the story, I don't need to know the details of the blades of grass in the shire (being facetious here, obviously). 

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but basically if you could find a Coles' notes about the first 100-150 pages of Hobbit and Fellowship, you'd probably have been able to get through the book series.   Holy **** it's so painful in the mundane detail to begin with.   But what a world he created. 

Having said that, Tolkien's work also suffers from the fact so many have decided to 1-up his style.  But he started the blueprint.    The ability for Amazon to build off, I wouldn't discount.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Watched season one, haven't watched season two yet. Some rough acting at times, but it was moderately entertaining

oh yeah, terrible acting but I feel like season two is better. could just be recency bias, but it's definitely worth a watch if you were even slightly entertained with season one. I have one episode to go. 

• Like 1