What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

On 9/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, ET80 said:

Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. A pretty dark comedy with Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez - those three live in the same luxury apartment in NYC and are big true crime podcasts fans, and start to apply their true crime chops once a tenant is found dead in their building. Each one of our amateur detectives has their own secret they try to keep under wraps as they start to find actual evidence that points to something more than what the police find...

First three episodes are up, it's a really good show.

Another bleak comedy on Hulu/FX we've been into: Reservation Dogs. It's a story of four kids living on one of the Native American reservations in Oklahoma - dirt poor, no real future to look forward to, sort of living out life one day at a time. They're resorting to petty crime when they get targeted by another group of Native American kids as a potential gang war...

It's really bleak, sort of sad - but hilarious in its own right. You get to see how life is on these reservations, and it's not pretty - not pretty at all.

Have really enjoyed both so far.

Only Murders is so fun, glad to see Steve Martin and Martin Short doing something like this.
Selena rounds them out well. It's way more fun, but it kinda is in the Funny Dark spectrum that something like a Search Party resides in. More wholesome though.

Reservation Dogs really rides that tone shifting well a lot. Like you're laughing at something dumb one minute and then questioning mortality and life in the next. Fun to see so many new faces too. Aside from the scrappers and the cop, most of the main cast are unknowns. Definitely has the soul of a Taika project, even if you didn't know he was a producer.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 12:05 AM, ET80 said:
On 9/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, Ty21 said:

The Night Of is a horror story 

Oh yeah, this was a fantastic show, and a coming out party for Riz Ahmed. I might need to watch it again.

I'd argue Nightcrawler was, but The Night Of definitely proved it was no fluke and he could lead more. 
Remember seeing Nightcrawler opening week, love me some Jake Ghylls, and walked away being so impressed with how well Riz played opposite Jake.. who was really swinging for it in that one. Love that movie.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 3:33 PM, thrILL! said:

I loved how WandaVision flipped the sitcom format but wow Kevin Can F Himself did it even better.  Best new comedy since Marvelous Mrs. Maisel imo.

Really enjoyed what they were going for, I think it's one of those shows that could really explode in a season two when they know exactly what they have. The whole shifting thing really became this great thing that brought all new emotions to things. Wasn't 10/10 all the time but really liked it.

Fun follow up for Annie after Schitt's Creek.
They cast Kevin so perfectly, he's the worst but that sitcom format just makes it all seem fine.

ending spoilers

Spoiler

The scene at the end, with her being in the sitcom version kitchen instantly made you feel weird.
Then when Neil popped out and started to go after her before getting hit, that shift was just so charged. He immediately went from dumb goofy sidekick to you seeing him as this angry huge dude who you didn't know what he could do next. It was just such a "Oh shiiiiit" moment. Really looking forward to how they evolve the show in season two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Reservation Dogs really rides that tone shifting well a lot. Like you're laughing at something dumb one minute and then questioning mortality and life in the next. Fun to see so many new faces too. Aside from the scrappers and the cop, most of the main cast are unknowns. Definitely has the soul of a Taika project, even if you didn't know he was a producer.

Spoiler

The last few episodes showing the individual lives of each kid? Great episodes, but man... talk about sad. Willie Jack had some hope about a better life, but at what cost to those who love her?

Only read this if you're fully caught up:

Spoiler

Elora Dannin finding Daniel after he committed suicide was gut wrenching - she clearly liked him beyond friends, so finding him hanging like that? I don't think anything on TV hit me as hard as her crying and trying to pick him up so he doesn't choke.

Bill Burr as the GS basketball coach/Drivers' Ed teacher is great, but watching him searching for his meth head daughter is such a phenomenal add to this show. I hope it's a recurring arc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Sopranos season 1 was solid gold. Ep 1 of season 2 feels 180° different. Different director something? Kinda feels soap opera-ey 

Don't worry it keeps getting better and better.  Seasons 4-6 might be the best 3 season run of any show ever.