What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

On 1/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Love Yellowstone, but don’t know if I feel like watching all the prequel shows.

Well I urge you to give 1883 a try. It's a completely different show. Depicting the struggles of the Oregon Trail in real life. Aside from the Dutton name it's nothing like Yellowstone. You will fall in love with Isabel May from the 1st episode

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t think so. The marbles episode was still a great episode because nothing that happened in it effected who the characters who went through it were.

It definitely cheapens it the emotional impact

It retroactively ruins the heart of the story

Its simply not rewatchable in any way knowing the twist

And the red hair at the end is absymal too

15 hours ago, Forge said:

The early years of One Tree Hill will always hold a special place in my heart because of the music and I loved the episode titles (not sure if if continued, but in the very early years when I watched that show, all of the episode titles were song titles from a lot of punk, emo, etc songs). There wasn't a lot of mainstream stuff that really leaned into that genre of music until a couple of years later in 05 - 06 when the mall emo scene really exploded. 

Hearing Finch blast out to start the little montage when Nathan and Lucas play at the river court the first time was awesome ("What it is to burn" had a great opening regardless). 

Those first 3-4 seasons of OTH were great.  Even the later seasons were surprisingly still enjoyable, but the magic of the early seasons was gone.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 10:57 AM, THE DUKE said:

Give it a few episodes to build up, a lot of world building.

On 1/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, Fresh Prince said:

How many episodes you watch?

On 1/3/2023 at 11:22 AM, adamq said:

I said the same thing after 2 episodes. Keep going!

Finished 5... yeah... we rolling now. 

• Like 3

There honestly wasn’t a substantial falloff in quality in season 7 of game of thrones like I thought originally. Maybe it’s because I know what happens. But probably because when it was still in syndication it was so bad because I decided it was going to be so nothing was going to impress. 

It isn’t bad. Some of the cast aside plots weren’t my favorite, some that were ignored honestly seem strange to even try to fit in (Young Griff’s arrival in Westeros for one would’ve just felt weird and he would’ve been killed off in some dumb way because even in the books he’s not going to be a key player in the end game). 

-Danys clearly shown she’s going to snap when things don’t go her way

-it seems believable the night king planned on the return of dragons and to take one for himself to take down the wall. 
-Sam and Gilly are still insufferable, I don’t love that the writers decided to place so much value in their uncovering of worthwhile information or plot components 

-Gendry seemed more of a player in my first watch but this time through he clearly didn’t need to figure into the end. His value was in undermining Cersei’s kids’ claim and maybe for Melisandre’s scheming, that’s it

-Jaime really doesn’t have an arc like I (mis)remembered lol. It clearly happens in the books when he just bailed on her but in the show he’s by her side until she threatens to kill him, and he only questions her for going against her word, which would end in their death unless both forces cancelled themselves out. He didn’t do anything about her bombing the sept of baelor or being a terrible person. I figure when I finish season 8, I’ll be much more understanding of his chosen fate, although disappointed in him because he was a straight up pushover for her the whole show  

-it was nice having a redemptive scene for Theon in his talk with Jon. I don’t remember how Theon dies but his particular arc in the show is one of the best 

-the Sansa Arya drama in season 7 might’ve been my least favorite. It just didn’t seem like either of them would act like that anymore, unless that was the point. Killing Littlefinger by thinking he still knew the stark girls that had changed considerably when he wasn’t around. I hated his death the first time through but here again I figure his only out was either going to be obsessing with achieving power for himself or disappearing. I wonder if it would’ve made more sense for his character to go to Essos 

My thoughts on the first half of season 8

-Arya Gendry sex scene: totally cringe and unneeded 

-the gang conversing around the fire before the battle against the dead was cringe and campy too. It almost feels like actors taking a bow at the end of a production. Might’ve worked better if there were any death implications instead of the like 3 people that die in the last season. There should’ve been way more deaths. 

-the Podrick singing at the fire scene would’ve been better if someone was eating cherry tomatoes 

-Jon telling dany before the battle who he really is was illogical but that’s who his character has always been. 

-almost every main character standing on the front line and surviving really takes away from how daunting the dead were supposed to be 

-I kinda doubt the superstitious anti maegi Dothraki would’ve been chill with Melisandre walking up and lighting all their swords on fire 

-so Sam joins the battle, is immediately incapacitated by one enemy, distracts dolorous Edd, causing Edd to die, then the enemy reels up and stares at Sam as if it has to size up its opponents before doing anything even though it’s a zombie looking to kill everything, then Sam runs away. 

-the unsullied’s movements when everyone started to retreat was pretty cool

-it was a good idea when the dead were lined up on the fire barrier that neither dragon swept through and killed them. The dragons seemed curiously missing for a lot of the battle lol

-why would the undead giant pick up Lyanna Mormont and stare at her until she kills him when it was just ragdolling everyone else away with ease lol. 

-so why is Arya hiding in the library scared..? And why are the dead casually perusing the library with a battle going on outside?

-the lord of light keeping dondarrion alive cause he knows Arya needed to survive to kill the NK would make more sense than trading him for Catelyn stark’s temporary arc of wiping out the Freys. 

-dragon fire didn’t hurt the night king at all. Cool! Now don’t let him get taken out by a random body shot that shatters him easily into a million pieces 

-worst part about this is the: “how will they ever get out of this alive?” bs tv shows do and then they do in some easy illogical way. Like Jon is totally surrounded by the dead the NK just reanimated. The dead were shown in the beginning sprinting to the line but here, totally outmatched and hopeless, the dead decide to stumble drunkenly to fight him one on one 

-Dany’s battle awareness is on par with Ethan Albright’s madden awareness

-I love Gendry using a blunt weapon for this lmao 

-Theon and Jorah were given good deaths 

-The NK dying from a stupid knife trick is still upsetting. If that worked on him at all, it should’ve just weakened him a bit. Totally destroying him with that sucked. Would’ve much preferred she stab him, he casts her off (she can survive) then he takes on Jon and Jon ends up destroying him after he’s weakened. It would make sense even as the prince that was promised that no one would be able to beat the NK one on one unless the nk was brought down a peg 

-the nk also did that dumb cliche thing villains always do: having the kill shot and then pussyfooting around until they die or the hero gets away.

-I’m glad Melisandre’s mission wasn’t forgotten or neglected. Her whole point was taking down the NK. I wonder if that satisfies the lord of light’s value with the nk down. His magic was amplified by nk resurgence I think (and dragons) 

There’s no denying now that there’s a fall off in quality now from season 7. It’s genuinely rushed, contradictory at times, poorly executed, has too much main character plot armor. The mis execution of the NK’s finale can really only be justified if you assume the story was only ever about Dany and her fall into madness and the NK was just to build drama. It’s only disappointing if you consider the NK was built up for years to do nothing. They could’ve at least had his lieutenants engage the main characters in combat to build tension. 

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 2