Talent or Scheme on Defense?

MacReady

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Do you truly believe that Dom has no idea what to do, or do you think he's out of touch with today's league?

More the latter but the 2 aren't mutually exclusive IMO. He's out of touch and stale and doesnt know how to adjust...so... he doesnt know whats hes doing as a result. There is a reason teams dont stick with the same coaches for this long. 

It's execution, there's no such thing as a "bad"defensive scheme, like I've said you have a very limited menu of coverages and run gaps you can call. 

When we're running cover 2, why is it so easy for Jason Witten to just sit in between Ryan/Matthews and Martinez for 8 yard catch after catch? It's common sense that Dom hasn't drawn up some coverage to expose us in this regard. Why can seemingly any backfield player trickle out in a pass pattern against us and have no one within 5 yards of him? 

There's been a seemingly huge drop off since Burnett went out in secondary execution. Makes me wonder how much good HHCD is in the mental aspects of the game because he's seen plenty of reps to be equal there.

My big question still remains, do the players respond to Dom's style of coaching? I honestly will never have an answer to this, that's up for Mac's determination. The defense hasn't been good enough since the end of the Bears game. I'm not going to say it's because Dom's scheme or knowledge as a coach though, he's been doing this longer than most of us have been alive.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

It's execution, there's no such thing as a "bad"defensive scheme

My big question still remains, do the players respond to Dom's style of coaching?

That's probably closest to the truth, but I still think it has to do specifically with what Capers runs.  If his players aren't executing certain things, it's on him to change things so they can execute, and he isn't doing that. 

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think that's probably the closest thing to the truth out of all of it.  We have talented players, but we don't have a truly dominant player.  I feel like a Joey Bosa/Jalen Ramsey or Charles Woodson type of game wrecker would make this defense a top 10 defense. 

I agree but it isn't easy to get a difference maker like these when you are drafting late like we have in the past.  We got kinda lucky with Woodson.  Everybody thought he was done for but Ted.

Just now, Pugger said:

I agree but it isn't easy to get a difference maker like these when you are drafting late like we have in the past.  We got kinda lucky with Woodson.  Everybody thought he was done for but Ted.

Don't give Ted credit for Woodson.  He doesn't deserve the credit for Woodson.  If it was solely up to him, I doubt he would have signed Woodson. 

Do you think dom is trying to do too much besides doing what the defense as a whole is best at? I think we have the talent to be a decent to good defense. This team has always struggled on 3rd down, why are we always giving up so many 3rd and longs? That's the most frustrating thing. Are we blitzing too much? Are we not playing safe enough on those downs?

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Do you think dom is trying to do too much besides doing what the defense as a whole is best at? I think we have the talent to be a decent to good defense. This team has always struggled on 3rd down, why are we always giving up so many 3rd and longs? That's the most frustrating thing. Are we blitzing too much? Are we not playing safe enough on those downs?

are we giving up a lot compared to the rest of the league?

7th on offense in points per drive.

23rd on defense in points per drive.

6th in turnover percentage on defense.

Defense is playing slightly below average right now. Considering the injuries we've stacked at DB, that could be a lot worse.

Look at our snap percentages in the defensive backfield:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HHCD: 98.3%

Damarious Randall: 68.3% 

Kentrell Brice: 62.4%

Morgan Burnett: 60.5%

Josh Jones: 56.4%

Kevin King: 51.8%

Davon House: 48.2%

Josh Hawkins: 36.1%

Quinten Rollins: 30%

Marwin Evans: 20.1%

Lenzy Pipkins: 9.9%

Ladarius Gunter: 0.4%

Jermaine Whitehead: 0.2%

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You take a look at a team like the Seahawks were they've got 3 players in their secondary who have played 100% of snaps and another who has played 94%, and you see where the huge advantage is. 

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What all went down? Since you were in the room when that decision was made.

I wasn't being completely serious, but at the same time I'm sure you'd agree that there were probably others more involved in that decision than Thompson. 

48 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I wasn't being completely serious, but at the same time I'm sure you'd agree that there were probably others more involved in that decision than Thompson. 

I don't think a single player transaction has happened in GB since 2005 that Ted wasn't on board with. I especially don't believe he wasn't heavily involved in the biggest FA contract he's ever given out as a GM. 

Im sure Ted isn't the big recruiter once said FAs set foot in GB, I mean look at the GIF Incog posted, that guy is not convincing anyone to sign here lol. That doesn't mean that he isn't in charge of the decision making process on who gets a visit, if that person gets offered a contract, and how much the contract should be worth.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I don't think a single player transaction has happened in GB since 2005 that Ted wasn't on board with. I especially don't believe he wasn't heavily involved in the biggest FA contract he's ever given out as a GM.

Wasn't there something out there to suggest that Thompson had to have his arm twisted to sign Woodson?  It might have just been speculation (that I totally believe), but I'm pretty sure there was something somewhere where someone said or it was said that Thompson had to have his arm almost literally twisted to sign Woodson.  Look at who Thompson signed from after our Super Bowl win to this past offseason and it's more and more believable.

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Wasn't there something out there to suggest that Thompson had to have his arm twisted to sign Woodson?  It might have just been speculation (that I totally believe), but I'm pretty sure there was something somewhere where someone said or it was said that Thompson had to have his arm almost literally twisted to sign Woodson.  Look at who Thompson signed from after our Super Bowl win to this past offseason and it's more and more believable.

He signed vets with elite athletic ability who due to age/injuries had fallen out of favor with their past teams. (Woodson, Peppers, Cook) I don't see Woodson as an outlier.

Archived