Should Kyle Shanahan & John Lynch be on the hotseat?

ClutchDJ

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Probably shouldn't openly mock the guy paying you and butting heads with a guy who had a similar level of power. 

The situations are not remotely comparable, especially since it's almost a direct inverse. There's also a point where results don't matter (though his final season trended heavily in the wrong direction ) if the other stuff is bad enough, which is the situation that Harbaugh kind of found himself in. 

My comment was more about spotlighting the threshold where the results don't matter, and you can lose your job with Jed. At this point I'm not saying he's in the right/wrong for how he handled it. It's still interesting to me even with the different situations. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Seeing Shanahan refuse to get Ayiuk involved at all reminded me of Gruden. He'd rather lose his way to prove a point to a player then adjust so the team can be successful. 

I mean Shanahan's treatment of Aiyuk and young players in general is quite weird, but at least against the Colts he was on the field all the time, getting open and Jimmy just completely ignored him. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Seeing Shanahan refuse to get Ayiuk involved at all reminded me of Gruden. He'd rather lose his way to prove a point to a player then adjust so the team can be successful. 

Naw dawg. Kyle isn't a petty moron that's going to nuke the team because he cares what the peanut gallery thinks. Aiyuk has regressed. Look at the actual film. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

13 hours ago, Blue said:

Was Kyle Shanahan not the coach for those other 3+ seasons? Did Kyle Shanahan not have a major role in putting together those injury-prone rosters? Did Kyle Shanahan not have a voice in which quarterbacks were on his team?

This is the team Shanahan and Lynch put together. If it's a team that consistently can't stay on the field (and it is), that's still on them.

and yes I ignored your reasoning because your reasoning is just making excuses for ego

I never got how coaches were blamed for in-game injuries. Football is a contact sport - it happens, and unfortunately many NFL talents can't just be easily replaced.

But I'll play along.

Jimmy G gets to the 49ers in 2017 (Kyle's first year) and goes 5-0 to finish the season, tears his ACL the following year, goes to the SB the year after, then is out again most of 2020 after a low tackle to his ankle. Would you really have started shopping for a QB prior to the 2020 season? Do you waste early draft picks on a replacement for the QB who just had an SB birth after playing a full season? Then what about all the other injuries that hit the Niners in 2020 (Bosa, Kittle, Thomas, Sherman, etc), do you blame him for not having replacements for each one of those guys?

Now he can be blamed for Trey Lance, but I think everyone knew he was a project so I don't think that story is written yet.

And to end, would you liken these events to what the Browns were going through?

2 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I never got how coaches were blamed for in-game injuries. Football is a contact sport - it happens, and unfortunately many NFL talents can't just be easily replaced.

But I'll play along.

Jimmy G gets to the 49ers in 2017 (Kyle's first year) and goes 5-0 to finish the season, tears his ACL the following year, goes to the SB the year after, then is out again most of 2020 after a low tackle to his ankle. Would you really have started shopping for a QB prior to the 2020 season? Do you waste early draft picks on a replacement for the QB who just had an SB birth after playing a full season? Then what about all the other injuries that hit the Niners in 2020 (Bosa, Kittle, Thomas, Sherman, etc), do you blame him for not having replacements for each one of those guys?

Now he can be blamed for Trey Lance, but I think everyone knew he was a project so I don't think that story is written yet.

And to end, would you liken these events to what the Browns were going through?

Jimmy G couldn't even get through 4 games with the Patriots without getting hurt. When your team consistently signs guys with known injury issues-Verrett, Sherman by the time they signed him, Garoppolo--you don't get to use injuries as an excuse. Every team has to deal with injuries. San Francisco knowingly signed those guys, clearly thinking they knew better than everyone else, and then the predictable happened.

And no, I wouldn't liken it to the Browns because the 2017 Browns lost 16 games in a row which I think makes their situation just a little tiny bit worse than San Francisco's even before you take into account that they've had four different head coaches in the past 4 1/2 years.

Edited by Blue
wrong bad TCU cornerback

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

And no, I wouldn't liken it to the Browns because the 2017 Browns lost 16 games in a row which I think makes their situation just a little tiny bit worse than San Francisco's even before you take into account that they've had four different head coaches in the past 4 1/2 years.

Season 7 Episode 10 GIF by Portlandia

Browns fans are so competitive, we will argue that we suck(ed) worse than you. I've seen it/done it a thousand times. It's a complex...I think I need help.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Jimmy G couldn't even get through 4 games with the Patriots without getting hurt. When your team consistently signs guys with known injury issues-Verrett, Sherman by the time they signed him, Garoppolo--you don't get to use injuries as an excuse. Every team has to deal with injuries. San Francisco knowingly signed those guys, clearly thinking they knew better than everyone else, and then the predictable happened.

Which is what I have been saying all along. You're comparing Shanahan to the swath of failed Brown's coaches using wins and losses as if there wasn't more to the story.

And Garoppolo wasn't injury prone before he was signed. He had a single injury prior to signing with the 49ers and then tore his ACL in 2018. Again, he returned in 2019, played a full season, and went to the Superbowl leading a top 3 offense. I don't know how you'd predict he'd suffer an ankle injury on a low tackle, and that half the starters would also join him on the injury report, but if that's your hill you can have it.

What would the fallout have been if Shanahan had taken the Belichick approach at QB and just released or traded JG, handed the reins to Lance (whether he was ready for it or not), and told the world that this season would be all about developing him as a stepping stone for future success? Did he have the accrued capital with the fans, media and ownership to survive making that move and it resulting in a 5-12 season?