Should Kyle Shanahan & John Lynch be on the hotseat?

ClutchDJ

Just now, Forge said:

So much of this going on. 

When I watched the Colts game it was almost as if he were going out of his way to ensure that Ayiuk couldn't get involved just to prove a point to him rather then trying to get the ball into one of their best playmakers hands.

• Like 1

There's only 7 coaches in the NFL currently who were hired before 2017, and Mike Zimmer is the only one of them who A) hasn't appeared in a Super Bowl and B) hasn't won a Super Bowl.  That leaves 25 teams who have made a HC change in the last 5 years.

There is no way Kyle Shanahan doesn't get hired for another HC job, if he were to get fired from San Fransisco.  It is much harder to "hit" on your HC choice than people think.  A combination of that and guys not getting long enough leashes.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When I watched the Colts game it was almost as if he were going out of his way to ensure that Ayiuk couldn't get involved just to prove a point to him rather then trying to get the ball into one of their best playmakers hands.

Aiyuk was open repeatedly in that game. Jimmy Garoppolo didn't look for him or trust him for whatever reason. That's not on Kyle 

Kyle took a ton of heat for Aiyuks slow start but it's pretty clear it was *mostly* on aiyuk. He gained (bad) weight in the off-season, (which I didn't notice because I actually never saw him play in person his rookie season so it was hard to compare on TV) and the gps trackers the players wear showed that he wasn't running hard in practice. He was tipping his routes based on his get off. He wasn't reading defenses properly to know which route to run. He wasnt run blocking properly  

I think they simplified things for him but he's also worked himself back into the fold. I don't think the coaching staff is to blame here. They got him to turn it around and he's been getting open for a few weeks now

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It’s hard to run an offense with jimmy g as your quarterback. I challenge someone to tell me one thing he does well.

That'd be a credible defense of the performance of the 49ers/Shanahan/Lynch if Shanahan and Lynch weren't the ones who traded for him than gave him a gigantic contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

That'd be a credible defense of the performance of the 49ers/Shanahan/Lynch if Shanahan and Lynch weren't the ones who traded for him than gave him a gigantic contract.

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that the personnel may be worse than the coaching in the offense's case. Mainly jimmy G. A decent qb could put up 25-30 a game with the 49ers offensive cast.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It’s hard to run an offense with jimmy g as your quarterback. I challenge someone to tell me one thing he does well.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Honestly, it's not Jimmy G that's a problem. He's 4th in the nfl in epa per play dating back to 2017, which is kind of insane given that he's basically just kind of meh as a starter. 

It's the games that are started by the other guys, Mullens / Hoyer / Beathard who are 33rd, 61st and 74th over that same time frame. They account for almost half the games Shanny has coached (Jimmy has started only 37 of Shanny's 72 games). If the point of Gayle's post is to make it seem like Shanahan isn't as good of an offensive mind as his rep credits him as, I'm not sure it actually does that given the talent he was working with. If he's using it to show that Shanahan just hasn't done a great job overall as coach, that's fair...but I don't think that was the intention. 

Why those guys was starting is a separate issue from whether or not Shanahan is actually a brilliant offensive mind, so that's not a valid criticism of Shanny the offensive mind, but rather a criticism of Shanahan the personnel guy. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that the personnel may be worse than the coaching in the offense's case. Mainly jimmy G. A decent qb could put up 25-30 a game with the 49ers offensive cast.

I think you're overrating the 49ers' offense a bit by saying that. 
The WR corp is just okay or slightly below average IMO. They have a good one in Deebo. Aiyuk was good last year but not so much this year / been in the doghouse. Plenty of teams have better #3-4-5 WR as well. 
Kittle is one of the best in the business but he's missing a lot of games so it's really hit or miss with the TE situation. 
Mostert has been hurt since his second carry of the year, Mitchell has been good but what else would you expect in a Shanahan's system? Sermon hasn't played much either. 
The O-line has been playing well and is probably top 10 from what I've seen (not that's it's easy to evaluate O-line play). 
So all in all, a group that is a bit above average (O-line being the strength of the offense) or above-average (if you count healthy Kittle - which doesn't happen so often anymore). 
Garropolo ain't good (bottom 10 in the NFL) but I don't think he's working with that good of an offensive cast. 
And Shanny is a good coach but it takes great skill players and a good QB to put up 30 a game. 

With that said, they both should be on the hotseat after the 22' season if they can't return back to playoffs and/or fail to develop with Lance.  

Edited by MagicMT

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

I think you're overrating the 49ers' offense a bit by saying that. 
The WR corp is just okay or slightly below average IMO. They have a good one in Deebo. Aiyuk was good last year but not so much this year / been in the doghouse. Plenty of teams have better #3-4-5 WR as well. 
Kittle is one of the best in the business but he's missing a lot of games so it's really hit or miss with the TE situation. 
Mostert has been hurt since his second carry of the year, Mitchell has been good but what else would you expect in a Shanahan's system? Sermon hasn't played much either. 
The O-line has been playing well and is probably top 10 from what I've seen (not that's it's easy to evaluate O-line play). 
So all in all, a group that is a bit above average (O-line being the strength of the offense) or above-average (if you count healthy Kittle - which doesn't happen so often anymore). 
Garropolo ain't good (bottom 10 in the NFL) but I don't think he's working with that good of an offensive cast. 
And Shanny is a good coach but it takes great skill players and a good QB to put up 30 a game. 

With that said, they both should be on the hotseat after the 22' season if they can't return back to playoffs and/or fail to develop with Lance.  

I see a productive run game, great tight end, great fullback, and ascending receivers. I think skill position wise it’s one of the better ones in the league for sure.